Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

blessington lakes greenway?

• 10-10-2016 3:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭

I saw in the sunday times this weekend mention of a 50km greenway around the blessington lakes. It suggested that there was already 6km in place, I have seen the short paths on either side of the valleymount road, shortly after you turn off the N81 and the bit that runs up to avon rí - is that the existing 6km they are referring to?

Occasionally i head out to blessington and either go around the lake (turning left after valleymount and coming back into Blessington) or if I am feeling braver/have more time heading over the wicklow gap to laragh and back to Dublin via Enniskerry.

A greenway around the lake would be great, just wondering is this talking up the area (the article was on buying property in Blessington) or is it likely to really arrive in the next year or two?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Does it need a green way? The roads are peaceful enough in my experience, I'm not sure painting some bike lanes will make a difference.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Brian? wrote: »
    Does it need a green way? The roads are peaceful enough in my experience, I'm not sure painting some bike lanes will make a difference.

I suspect it would be more light off road than painted lines, though not sure where exactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭Fian

Well that's true. I am more likely to get my wife and kids to join me in a spin around the lake if it is off-road though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Not sure where this greenway would begin and end, but the bit of the main road to Blessington just after the turn off for Citywest used to be hair-raising. Narrow, terrible sightlines, trucks and buses hurtling up and down it. I was so intimidated one day that, completely out of character, I tried to cycle on the footpath. I met a motorcyclist coming the other way who took me to task for cycling on the footpath. Which was fair enough (it's not something I normally do, and I was going to get off if I saw any pedestrians), except that he was also on the footpath. Going full speed on a motorbike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Doctor Bob

I think this is the 6km referred to: http://visitwicklow.ie/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/Blessington_Greenway.pdf

The Council applied to DTTAS for funding a couple of years ago for a greenway around the lakes, but they didn't make the cut. I haven't heard any more since then.

• Advertisement

tomasrojo wrote: »
    Not sure where this greenway would begin and end, but the bit of the main road to Blessington just after the turn off for Citywest used to be hair-raising. Narrow, terrible sightlines, trucks and buses hurtling up and down it. I was so intimidated one day that, completely out of character, I tried to cycle on the footpath. I met a motorcyclist coming the other way who took me to task for cycling on the footpath. Which was fair enough (it's not something I normally do, and I was going to get off if I saw any pedestrians), except that he was also on the footpath. Going full speed on a motorbike.

A bit more work, but climbing Bohernabreena/Ballinascorney followed by Manor Kilbride is the nicer way of getting there, N81 can be a pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

smacl wrote: »
    A bit more work, but climbing Bohernabreena/Ballinascorney followed by Manor Kilbride is the nicer way of getting there, N81 can be a pain.
    That's good to know. I might try going there in the summer. The greenway in Doctor Bob's link looks quite nice.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

maybe not for experienced leisure cyclists, but an explicit marked cycle route may be the sort of thing to attract casual cyclists, and be a much more explicit reminder for motorists in the area to expect them on the roads.

smacl wrote: »

My preferred way is through either saggart or Rathcoole. About 2km on the N81 and turn off at Lisheen golf club and into Manor Kilbride.

I hate the N81 between Blessington and Tallaght. Buzzed by trucks too many times.

they/them/theirs

maybe not for experienced leisure cyclists, but an explicit marked cycle route may be the sort of thing to attract casual cyclists, and be a much more explicit reminder for motorists in the area to expect them on the roads.

It'd be lovely for everyone.

I like the sound of a light off road track around the lakes. I thought it was the usual nonsense of painting lines on a road we were talking about.

A surface like the canal paths would be perfect.

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement

Doctor Bob wrote: »
    I think this is the 6km referred to: http://visitwicklow.ie/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/Blessington_Greenway.pdf

The Council applied to DTTAS for funding a couple of years ago for a greenway around the lakes, but they didn't make the cut. I haven't heard any more since then.

I'd love if they finished that. Perfect for the kids

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭jober

I live just of the n81. And there was proposed plans dropped into the house a while back about a new dual carriageway starting just after jobstown pub bypassing the n81 and bypassing blessington altogether.there was no mention of a greenway thou.but if it go ago ahead it would take all the traffic away from n81 leaving it a nice cycle route

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

jober wrote: »
    I live just of the n81. And there was proposed plans dropped into the house a while back about a new dual carriageway starting just after jobstown pub bypassing the n81 and bypassing blessington altogether.there was no mention of a greenway thou.but if it go ago ahead it would take all the traffic away from n81 leaving it a nice cycle route

This appears to be the preferred route from the SDCC website. The project is awaiting funding so it could be a long wait.

http://www.sdcc.ie/sites/default/files/publications/n81-hollywood-cross-to-tallaght-road-map.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

I'd love if they finished that. Perfect for the kids
    I walked around it about two years ago. Its a grit surface. Its not really for cyclists, but would be an OK spot to take kids on bikes. Another similar place good for kids is the road inside the grounds of Bohernabreena reservoir.

My preferred way is through either saggart or Rathcoole. About 2km on the N81 and turn off at Lisheen golf club and into Manor Kilbride.

I hate the N81 between Blessington and Tallaght. Buzzed by trucks too many times.

I'm usually coming from the other direction but if I'm looking for a less hilly way of getting out to Blessington for a longer cycle I'll take the Grand canal out of town, and either get off before it gets muddy if its been wet here and head out via Peamount, or if its dry or I've knobbly tyres on go out past Sallins and come back to Blessington via Naas, Craddockstown road and Punchestown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Boaty

Wicklow County Council have just put in a planning application for this greenway. The files on the application should be up in the next few days.

"Construct a new crushed stone track in order to create a walking & cycling greenway which will follow the edge of the Blessington Lakes "

http://www.eplanning.ie/WicklowCC/AppFileRefDetails/17307/0

Boaty wrote: »
    Wicklow County Council have just put in a planning application for this greenway. The files on the application should be up in the next few days.

"Construct a new crushed stone track in order to create a walking & cycling greenway which will follow the edge of the Blessington Lakes "

http://www.eplanning.ie/WicklowCC/AppFileRefDetails/17307/0

sounds great, and that would make a nice cycle, out to Blessington, round the lakes, back home. Or put the bikes in the boot and bring the kids out there then spin around the lakes with them. Though by the time it is built kids may have left teh nest of course.

The files has been added to the application.

40 kilometers of track around the lakes and going to Russborough house, what a great project for WCC to undertake, it will be interesting to see if any cranks object!

I cycle that route occasionally - out to Blessington, follow that route around the lake, then back into Dblin from Blessington again. Nice route so the track should only make it better. There is very little traffic on those roads around the lake anyway though, would make a much bigger difference if there was an off road from Dublin to Blessington tbh. Still an off road cycle track is nicer than cycling on even a quiet road i guess.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

40 kilometers of track around the lakes and going to Russborough house
    i don't see a path out to russborough house marked on the map there?

• Advertisement

It looks like they are using an existing roadway to get to Russborough rather than a new path.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

40 kilometers of track around the lakes and going to Russborough house, what a great project for WCC to undertake, it will be interesting to see if any cranks object!

I would be more worried about the National Parks & Wildlife Service given that the lakes are a Special Protection Area. Hopefully it will have been cleared with them before getting this far. It was their intervention that caused the S2S to be rerouted from the coast on to the Merrion Road.

If it does go ahead, it will be a fantastic amenity, not so much for training spins but for walkers, families and less confident cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,713 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

"Crushed Stone" - what will this be like in reality, could mean anything from resin-bonded gravel to railway ballast - anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Whatwicklow

Cl804 - typical green way surface or road base. Good material to pedal on as it bonds well plus as time passes it matures into its environment and looks fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

loyatemu wrote: »
    "Crushed Stone" - what will this be like in reality, could mean anything from resin-bonded gravel to railway ballast - anyone know?

Similar to the Great Western Greenway I would imagine. Fine for 28mm or wider tyres and ok for 25mm if you take it easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

Cl804 - typical green way surface or road base. Good material to pedal on as it bonds well plus as time passes it matures into its environment and looks fine.

Cl804 is most definitely not good to cycle on and is not typical surface for greenway. It's quite a large aggregate used for base course only

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Whatwicklow

Cl804 is most definitely not good to cycle on and is not typical surface for greenway. It's quite a large aggregate used for base course only

Ok expert- its used the length and breadth of the country for forest roads and green ways that have hundreds of km cycled weekly and I'd near guarantee this one will also be 804 .

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭tigerboon

Cl804 - typical green way surface or road base.  Good material to pedal on as it bonds well plus as time passes it matures into its environment and looks fine.

Ok expert- its used the length and breadth of the country for forest roads and green ways that have hundreds of km cycled weekly and I'd near guarantee this one will also be 804 .
    Most likely to be Cl804 with a thin layer of 6mm aggregate laid on top and compacted

tigerboon wrote: »
    Most likely to be Cl804 with a thin layer of 6mm aggregate laid on top and compacted

Yep, the surface layer on the GW Greenway and more recent Grand canal additions would be better described as grit than gravel, and no bother for 25mm tyres on relatively flat ground. Nothing like the surface of any Coilte tracks I've been on which are far coarser.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,609 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Any update on progress for the greenway? WCC site says a planning decision was due in May 2017 but I cant seem to find any new information

Advertisement