Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Garda Reserve Experiences

1474849505153»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

Raider190 wrote: »
    You really think I am going to give you any information on a public forum you can trot on buddy. You have a very low opinion of the GR and I wonder why. If you want info on the GR look up the Garda website because that's the only info you will get from me. Go peddle your negative comments elsewhere

Raider,

Would i be able to PM you? Please:cool:

• Site Banned Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Raider190

Canyon86 wrote: »
    Raider,

Would i be able to PM you? Please:cool:

No problem anytime

• Site Banned Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Raider190

You said 'A large number of GR's have been involved in major incidents'
    I'm just curious to know what you would regard as a 'major incident' that's all.
    But hey if you want to get all high & mighty , with your 'trot on buddy' thats OK too.Its amazing how some folk get to feel all superior when they put on a unifiorm.

I have no interest in giving you any information about the GR and as i stated earlier go do your trolling elsewhere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭Pm1e

Congrats to you. I am stationed in Dublin at the min and the work is great. I am mainly involved in local patroling and traffic duties. Hope you enjoy the training.

Best wishes
    Robbie

Guys can I ask, are ye all in part time employment while you partake in this? Cheers in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scouser

Pm1e wrote: »
    Guys can I ask, are ye all in part time employment while you partake in this? Cheers in advance

some would be retired, unemployed, college students, some would have part time employment, most I know are in full time employment tho

• Advertisement

Scouser wrote: »
    some would be retired, unemployed, college students, some would have part time employment, most I know are in full time employment tho

Good stuff thanks for that mate, thats what I was getting at, can someone in FT employment get through it or is a lot on one plate etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scouser

Pm1e wrote: »
    Good stuff thanks for that mate, thats what I was getting at, can someone in FT employment get through it or is a lot on one plate etc.

depends on how you manage your own affairs in life

I found it quite easy to fit everything because i was committed to it and used days off etc in order to fit in training and shifts. thats just me.

there are plenty of married men and women with full time jobs and kids who do well in excess of their yearly quota for training and duties

it depends of personal circumstance and motivation. youll get out of it what you put in. My advice would be that it gets easier to manage after the initial training phase. if you can get through that your golden

Scouser wrote: »
    depends on how you manage your own affairs in life

I found it quite easy to fit everything because i was committed to it and used days off etc in order to fit in training and shifts. thats just me.

there are plenty of married men and women with full time jobs and kids who do well in excess of their yearly quota for training and duties

it depends of personal circumstance and motivation. youll get out of it what you put in. My advice would be that it gets easier to manage after the initial training phase. if you can get through that your golden

I hear ya, can I ask are you still in the reserves or have you moved into FT work?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,951 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Apologies for resurrecting an old thread, but heard an advert on radio looking for applications for the reserves again.

Got slightly curious about it, and was wondering if I could do it?

Is 48 too old to apply?
    Would it suit a shift worker? Could I do training or duties on my off-days, or would I miss it due to my shift pattern?

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Commish

NIMAN wrote: »
    Apologies for resurrecting an old thread, but heard an advert on radio looking for applications for the reserves again.

Got slightly curious about it, and was wondering if I could do it?

Is 48 too old to apply?
    Would it suit a shift worker? Could I do training or duties on my off-days, or would I miss it due to my shift pattern?

Hey,
    48 is definitely not too old. I was on shift for the first 8 years and I think it actually suits better. I think the initial training is done over a week now and you stay in the college over the week. I think the reserves is a great initiative and I thoroughly enjoy it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,951 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Thanks for that.

Could you give me a rough idea of what a Garda Reserve would do?Is it mostly admin work?
    How often, what hours?
    Any advice welcomed.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Commish

It depends if you're in the city or the country. I'm in the country and you could be at anything from mobile patrol, traffic, events or help the S/O out if its busy in the station.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Sgt. Bilko 09

Hi, from my perspective the reserve is good, it gives you a look on life and people you never thought existed. I am 27 now and joined 5 years ago with asperations of going full time. That's what drove me to do it. Having something that inspires to do a ten hour shift for free is worth it Ive often covered the early unit after night shifts if someone was going to court because I genuinely love the job and everything about it baring in mind I have a 9-5. In all honesty the reserve is used against you during recruitment and not for you hence to mass exudose over the last 2 years. When on shift you are either in the station(dealing with queries from lost tourists, lost property and drunk idiots who ask you to call them taxis and the tonnes of people asking you to fill out passports.
    You could be out in car, whereby you are responding to calls in and rarely outside of your district(personally be prepared for this as I was sent to my home town on a bench warrant pick up with two colleague and it was a local scrowth who was being arrested, i still haven't be recognised thankfully).
    You need to be prepared to leave the sights of lifeless bodies and sexual assault, stabbings other grotesque cases behind you in the station when you going back to your normal job. Full timers are use to this as they do body identifications so many other things like that where it's natural for them to block it out.
    You will need to be physically fit as I found out on my first night on the beat in Dublin (not saying where). I'm an ex boxer so I managed to hold my own and run after them.
    You need to be able to trust the person you are with and visa versa, being able to work as part of team is huge because a Garda unit may have never had a new member join, in a couple of years and you are there fresh faced and need to be counted when you are needed.
    The physical fighting modules in college are great and the instructors are more than helpful but the process is not long enough for you to deal with what you are up against (personally speaking). You need to do your own stuff outside of.thd college physical modules otherwise you are there for the taking in fight as you will most definitely be needed to fight someone to the ground and hold them down and handcuff them which is a lot to do but if you are not able to be physical it's definitely not for you.
    The reserve is not as frowned upon as people make out and some of the stories you hear are dramatised. You will get the odd bystander saying "oh your just a reserve you have no power your a wannabe" but you do have power they maybe small powers but they are sufficient for your use on a unit. You won't use most of them but you will need to know them verbatim as everyone is a street solicitor nowadays.

You will need to have a perfect smile and poses for some great shots for those YouTube members who love to record everything.
    Ive seen myself twice but thankfully in the background of protests.

The 1000 euro for 208 hours is horrific and I have never put in for it as it's disgraceful (personally speaking) I would never take anyone's overtime if I'm volunteering to do it free it's against my morals.

One massive and it is a big con is if you get a complaint and it's goes all the way to court you will foot the bill for your own legal support to defend you but if follow the code you have nothing to worry about.

But everything else is great I love it and would highly recommend it regardless of age.

When it was established it was thought of as the Irish version of the special constables like in the UK but it is far from it they are more qualified than most full time guards.

Hope this helps you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Sgt. Bilko 09

This may help also with my point above in relation to complaints, 2 reserve Garda suspended​. They can be tried by courts and have criminal charge brought against them while they foot the legal bill. While 23 full time are paid while suspended and representation from the GRA. http://www.thejournal.ie/gardai-suspension-3348226-Apr2017/
    Let us know how you decide?

Advertisement