Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Government infrastructure announcement 28/3/17

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

The Dodder bridge is very welcome

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Zebra3 wrote: »
    https://www.rte.ie/news/2017/0328/863240-infrastructure-plan/

€200M worth of expenditure announced including a new DART station.

Where in Shaganagh? - the logical place (Quinn Rd where the houses are) is 500 m from Shankill St.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭AngryLips

I wonder how much of an improvement to traffic on Maynooth Main Street this small bit of the orbital route will bring

AngryLips wrote: »
    I wonder how much of an improvement to traffic on Maynooth Main Street this small bit of the orbital route will bring

Do you happen to know exactly where the route is going? I think if it allows people to use the Maynooth exit on the N4 and still access Carton Retail Park and Dunboyne Road it'll be very useful. It's already pretty easy to bypass the main street to the west. With the amount of new houses being built on the north-east of Maynooth at the minute, it'll get more and more urgent too.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Bray Head

Details are here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,240 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Where in Shaganagh? - the logical place (Quinn Rd where the houses are) is 500 m from Shankill St.

I'd say further down by the park and graveyard. There's no parking on Quinn's road and the road couldn't handle the traffic.

Bray Head wrote: »
    Details are here.

A future DART stop, so the DART stop didn't get money. It just got a mention

MJohnston wrote: »
    The Dodder bridge is very welcome

I'd prefer to see a park and ride at ringsend and a small LUAS line joint ringsend and o Connell bridge, the bridge could accommodate the LUAS , pedestrians and cyclists. No need to encourage private cars into the city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Boaty

Funds should have been allocated to allow for a park and ride system and bus lane on the N11 Northbound lane from Newtown onwards.
    20million would have got it done.

ted1 wrote: »
    I'd prefer to see a park and ride at ringsend and a small LUAS line joint ringsend and o Connell bridge, the bridge could accommodate the LUAS , pedestrians and cyclists. No need to encourage private cars into the city.

The Dodder bridge is called a "Public Transport bridge" so I'm assuming there will be no private cars allowed.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

ted1 wrote: »
    A future DART stop, so the DART stop didn't get money. It just got a mention
    The proposed public infrastructure includes:-
     Revision of the Woodbrook roundabout on the old N11
     Road improvements to support housing development
     Access to a future proposed DART station.

I see - another mirage project - now you see it, now you don't.

It is for future housing, presumably on the golf course.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Do you happen to know exactly where the route is going? I think if it allows people to use the Maynooth exit on the N4 and still access Carton Retail Park and Dunboyne Road it'll be very useful. It's already pretty easy to bypass the main street to the west. With the amount of new houses being built on the north-east of Maynooth at the minute, it'll get more and more urgent too.

From beside the Educate Together to the Blacklion Road. Seperately, from Griffin Rath to Lidl will be built by developers.

L1011 wrote: »
    From beside the Educate Together to the Blacklion Road. Seperately, from Griffin Rath to Lidl will be built by developers.

Is Blacklion Road where the halting site is or just to the east of that?

That'll be a decent alignment anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Pixel Eater

When I initially saw this I was quite upbeat; a good whack of cash for much needed infastructure. However on closer inspection I'm a bit disappointed/wary.

Shanganagh is nearly in Wicklow; is this not just more sprawl? And the Dart station is a red herring; no specific funds are directly allocated to it. And is one even desirable as would it not create more congestion in an already congested line (unless they plan a third line)? Besides the proposed train station in Pelletstown would be a far better proposition is push came to shove.

Same goes for the Kilternian/Glenamuck development. Again is this not more sprawl beyond the M50? Should they not be filling in the gaps and densify the existing urban areas?

The Claureen in Ennis proposal has a mere 200 houses spread over 17 hectares, which seems extremely low density. Ennis is a sprawling mess, like many towns affected by the lax Celtic Tiger planning regime, so this just seems more of the same.

The original 'Rebuilding Ireland' plan seemed to be a progressive, forward looking document that highlighted the deficiencies of the Celtic Tiger and wanted to plan things better. Now I haven't gone through all 34 project and I'm sure many are positive - the bridge over the Dodder for example - but judging by the three I've highlighted, the same progressive visions relayed in Coveney's plan seemed to be ignored to some extent.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

The original 'Rebuilding Ireland' plan seemed to be a progressive, forward looking document that highlighted the deficiencies of the Celtic Tiger and wanted to plan things better. Now I haven't gone through all 34 project and I'm sure many are positive - the bridge over the Dodder for example - but judging by the three I've highlighted, the same progressive visions relayed in Coveney's plan seemed to be ignored to some extent.

LOL at "Rebuilding Ireland" total joke of a plan... nothing is going to get sorted here until they force much higher density and far more affordable private housing...

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/new-housing-crisis-shows-politicians-still-havent-learned-lessons-from-pain-of-crash-35576798.html

Idbatterim wrote: »
    LOL at "Rebuilding Ireland" total joke of a plan... nothing is going to get sorted here until they force much higher density and far more affordable private housing...

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/new-housing-crisis-shows-politicians-still-havent-learned-lessons-from-pain-of-crash-35576798.html

Have you read the report? While it's not perfect I think it's quite comprehensive and does include positives like encouraging urban regeneration, Living City initiative, requires planning authorities to national planning policy etc. In addition the Ireland 2040 specifically refers to the current negative impact that sprawl and building housing far from where the jobs are.

My point is that it mentions these progressive ideals yet the first thing it does is the opposite.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,239 ✭✭✭markpb

Same goes for the Kilternian/Glenamuck development. Again is this not more sprawl beyond the M50? Should they not be filling in the gaps and densify the existing urban areas?

Can't argue with the rest of your post but that development is not only right beside the a quiet part of the luas line but also near Cherrywood, Sandyford, South County and Central Park which are all served by luas so there's a good chance people living in that area won't be car dependent.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Is Blacklion Road where the halting site is or just to the east of that?

That'll be a decent alignment anyway.

Where the Dermot Bannon house is basically. It's the 1990s widebened/realigned road towards Dunboyne

L1011 wrote: »
    Where the Dermot Bannon house is basically. It's the 1990s widebened/realigned road towards Dunboyne

Yep, makes sense, Google Maps just has this annoying habit of ignoring road names in favour of R-numbers, so I couldn't figure out where you meant!

markpb wrote: »
    Can't argue with the rest of your post but that development is not only right beside the a quiet part of the luas line but also near Cherrywood, Sandyford, South County and Central Park which are all served by luas so there's a good chance people living in that area won't be car dependent.

But it's still swallowing up large swathes of land in already sprawling south Dublin. Plus the low density areas of the plan would still be a fair enough distance from any Luas stop. There is undeveloped land directly adjacent to the Ballyogan Road and the Leopardstown and The Gallops Luas stops, this should be built on first; essentially filling in the gaps.

http://www.dlrcoco.ie/sites/default/files/atoms/files/kiltiernan_map.pdf

• Advertisement
Advertisement