Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New legislation being considered.

Options
  • 21-03-2017 10:49am
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey guys and girls.

First time posting so be gentle.

I read an article, albeit from the Journal, that new legislation is being considered for Airsof/RIF. They want the items painted orange or some other bright, distinguishing colour so as to quickly identify it as an airsoft.

Whatever your opinions that is one topic, but not the one that caught me eye.

The "article" says there are currently no laws surrounding the sale, ownership and distribution of these realistic imitation firearms. I thought there is. The "article" suggested a minimum age of 16 which i thought already was in place.

Also the firearms act covers RIF to the extent that if caught out and about with one, brandishing if you will, you face the same consequences as someone with a real firearm.

Can someone educate me on the exact laws surrounding them as what i believed to be law seems to in question.

Thanks.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,061 ✭✭✭whydave

Public Consultation on Controls Governing Realistic Imitation FirearmsYou are here: Home Media & Publications Consultations Public Consultation on Controls Governing Realistic Imitation Firearms
    On 20th March 2017, the Minister of State, David Stanton, T.D., launched a public consultation on the controls governing realistic imitation firearms.

Interested parties may view the consultation document here: Consultation Paper on Controls on Realistic Imitation Firearms

The Department of Justice & Equality is now inviting submissions from interested parties which will inform future decision making in relation to controls on Realistic Imitation Firearms. Organisations or individuals who wish to contribute should send a submission by 01st May 2017.

- By email to firearms_inbox@justice.ie

- By post to

Realistic Imitation Firearms Public Consultation

Firearms, Explosives and Private Security Policy Division

Department of Justice & Equality

94 St Stephen’s Green

Dublin 2

If you are making a submission, please include your name and contact details (phone number, postal address and, if available, an email address) and please state whether the views expresses are personal or are being made on behalf of an organisation, If the views of an organisation are being submitted it should be made clear which organisation is being represented and you should indicate your position in the organisation.

It should be noted that the submissions received are subject to the Freedom of Information Act 2014 and may be released or published on foot of third party applications. Any submission containing commercially sensitive or private or confidential material should therefore clearly identify that portion of the submission which contains such information and specify the reasons for its sensitivity. The Department will consult with respondents regarding information identified by them as sensitive, before making a decision on any Freedom of Information request, and will treat any personal information in accordance with the Data Protection Acts 1988 and 2003.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Cass wrote: »
    Hey guys and girls.

First time posting so be gentle.

I read an article, albeit from the Journal, that new legislation is being considered for Airsof/RIF. They want the items painted orange or some other bright, distinguishing colour so as to quickly identify it as an airsoft.

Whatever your opinions that is one topic, but not the one that caught me eye.

The "article" says there are currently no laws surrounding the sale, ownership and distribution of these realistic imitation firearms. I thought there is. The "article" suggested a minimum age of 16 which i thought already was in place.

Also the firearms act covers RIF to the extent that if caught out and about with one, brandishing if you will, you face the same consequences as someone with a real firearm.

Can someone educate me on the exact laws surrounding them as what i believed to be law seems to in question.

Thanks.

Cass, the relevant legislation is linked in the forum charter.

Edit, in the adverts forum charter, that is more relevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Cadpat_cowboy

Steve wrote: »
    Cass, the relevant legislation is linked in the forum charter.

Where do I find this charter?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Where do I find this charter?
    Here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056698847

The age limit is in the Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2009
    9D.-
    (2) On and after the date of commencement of section 40 of the Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2009 it is an offence for a person to sell a realistic imitation firearm to a person under the age of 16 years.

This post also better explains relevant legislation.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=79685030&postcount=3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Cadpat_cowboy

Steve wrote: »
    This post also better explains relevant legislation.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=79685030&postcount=3

Thanks Steve I just read it there didn't realise I should have before I started using the site

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Apologies for the late reply. Seems i haven't received any notifications for replies to the thread and just checked this morning to see there were some.

Thanks for the links which state what i already guessed. There is already legislation which dictates the minimum age for purchasing and owning an RIF. As i said in my first post it makes me wonder why the article said:
    A legal age of 16 to purchase a realistic imitation firearm has also been suggested.
    It's already in place.

The same consultation process was applied to firearms in the last 18-24 months and at the start it worried me that some of the suggestions were either already in place (some to a higher extent than were suggested) and other suggestions were actually illegal.

There has been a serious need to overhaul some parts of the firearms acts and as this may/will include RIF i wonder why such panels focus on trying to tighten or amend legislation that is already in place when some aspects need legislation (as none exists) and is ignored.

I won't go too much into that as it mostly relates to firearms, but thought i'd ask to confirm.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Most of what is been proposed was supposed to be brought in a few years back ,

Personal importation ban you had to buy through an Irish retailer , already legislated for but not acted on ,
    Licensed​ retailers with similar security measures as firearms dealers ,
    Over 16s sales already in place .
    The odd one is criminalising guys who fix and repair guns .

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭tudenham10

Excuse my ignorance/laziness, but I wasn't aware of any implications for repairs/modifications etc?

I do accept the logic that the RIF's could go beyond the 1J limit as a result of negligent work but if that's the case, TW platforms/GBB platforms/HPA's could all be under threat? Also, considering that most modern AEG's come with quick change spring facilities too...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Rooky1

Seems a bit harsh to techs. Any competent tech will not allow an Airsoft device to leave the workshop over the joule limit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭Darth Phoenix

I agree , Seems rough on those who repairs or even modify them. Nearly puts you off even trying to help other people out at that rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭alpha13

Gatling wrote: »
    The odd one is criminalising guys who fix and repair guns .

it is not just to criminalise techs but money gathering and registration of people working... lots of implication in this from revenue to techs having adequate equipment security storage facilities and the rest..no doubt being decided what that standard is by them.... i can see ALOT of very good techs vanishing if this comes into place and then i believe that will leave only the shops with a tech because they will pay the fee but have a monopoly and charge whatever they want for repairs.... not to mention what standard of quality person will actually do it then.... back to the hole drilling :(:( maybe i am wrong.....i am biased in this as i do alot with snipers and pistols...
    as a gamer extra fees and charges would only diminish the sport and discourage the few that are there to keep it up... and hardly entice new people to come into the fold and join.. again.. just MY opinion!!!

and just as a side note... i find it odd.. the definition they use for RIF is"a device that appears to the observer so realistic as to make it indistinguishable from a firearm"... but surely then painting it a different colour or the rest negates the RIF distinction and therefore would NOT be covered under the RIF legislation..as it would be very clear that it is NOT a firearm...they might want to fine tune their wording LOL :):)

armasairsoftportugal.jpg

http://airsoftportugal.blogspot.ie/p/o-que-e-preciso-para-praticar-airsoft.html
    What does it take to practice Airsoft?
    The practice of Airsoft involves above all the use and possession of an Airsoft Gun in accordance with the Law of Arms of the Portuguese Constitution (Law no. 5/2006, of 23 February). The following steps are based on this Legislation in force:

1- To be the minimum age of 18 years . For minors over 16 years of age, it is possible to practice this modality by means of a written authorization signed by the person in charge of education.

2- To be affiliated in one of the Associations of Sports Promotion (APD) legally recognized in Portugal (some are listed below). Each association will provide a Membership Card (or equivalent document) that must be presented in purchases of Weapons, events or Authorities, when requested.

3- Acquire an Airsoft Gun commonly called "replicas" in one of the authorized stores in Portugal with mandatory emission of invoice. Acquisitions to individuals must be accompanied by a statement of purchase and sale.

4- Firearms Reproductions shall be brought into play in accordance with the Weapons Act, which states:

"The hand-held firearm configuration of classes A, B, B1, C and D, painted with color Fluorescent, yellow or reddish, indelible, clearly visible when gripped, within 5 cm of the mouth of the barrel and of the whole of the wrist, in the case of a handgun, or within 10 cm from the mouth of the barrel and the whole of the stock , In the case of a long weapon

Examples of Airsoft Weapons
    paintings Click to enlarge the image.
    - Thus, Airsoft guns should be painted partially or fully Fluorescent Yellow or Red Color of indelible ink , so they are not mistaken for real weapons.

These paintings shall be in accordance with the same article of the Law:

Short Arms (eg Pistols, Revolvers, Machine Guns) :
    painted 5 cm from the tip of the barrel and in the whole of the

Long Arms (eg Assault Rifles, Shotguns, etc.) :
    painted 10 cm from the tip of the barrel and the whole stock.

Note 1: No suppressors / mufflers should be painted if they are removable. What counts is always the barrel of the gun and not the accessory.

Only non-removable suppressors / silencers can be painted (eg VSS or MP5SD) Note 2: Further, according to the Law, paintings may be concealed during an organized game and must be replaced before and after each game ( Law no. 5/2006 of 23 February, Article 13 (13)) . These paintings can never be removed or parts exchanged in or out of an Airsoft game.

- Airsoft guns should only fire plastic balls whose velocity at the exit of the barrel does not exceed 1.3 Joules or 374 FPS . Responsibility for complying with this rule lies with the owner. Most games organized in Portugal already have weapons control and powers are measured on the spot.

- Airsoft guns should be carried in a safe and secure bag, bag or suitcase and should not be presented in public spaces outside the scope of an organized game or field designated for the practice of the modality.

Failure to comply with any of the above rules may result in a fine ranging from € 600 to € 6,000, or more severe penalties, depending on the seriousness of the situation where authorities detect an error.

5 - The events or events for the practice of Airsoft must take place in private spaces, sealed and private, with the proper authorization of the owner (s) and without access to the general public, in order to avoid incidents or accidents.

6- All events related to the modality should be communicated to the police authorities in the area where they take place, be it the Public Security Police or National Republican Guard, with a minimum of 5 days before the date of the event. The authorities reserve in their right to inspect these events by inspecting compliance with the Law at the level of Memberships to Airsoft's APDs, Paintings and Powers, as well as the maintenance of public order.

Additional compulsory equipment:

- Eye protection goggles , preferably with ballistic protection or proven to be resistant to the impact of projectiles at a power equal to or greater than the 1.3 Joules specified in the Law.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,404 ✭✭✭ricka

alpha13 wrote: »

and just as a side note... i find it odd.. the definition they use for RIF is"a device that appears to the observer so realistic as to make it indistinguishable from a firearm"... but surely then painting it a different colour or the rest negates the RIF distinction and therefore would NOT be covered under the RIF legislation..as it would be very clear that it is NOT a firearm...they might want to fine tune their wording LOL :):)

absolutely and thats why Two tone Airsoft guns will not happen in Ireland.
    More than likely they will enact option2

Advertisement