Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Starting in Garnerville soon? Read this:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 CaptHarris

How soon into GV do you get the personal safety talk/training?
    Got a few questions I'd like to know the answers to.

Do you mean personal safety programme (restraints, take downs, batons, handcuffs, etc) or personal security? Security branch will give you advice about personal safety at both induction and intake, and you'll have plenty of support from staff during training.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Tackleberry1

Sorry I meant personal safety like checking the car etc. Its my only real worry for the job, not so much my safety but the safety of my family.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 R007

Sorry I meant personal safety like checking the car etc. Its my only real worry for the job, not so much my safety but the safety of my family.

Those Security talks begin on the induction weekend and then from intake Sunday onwards. Every question you have regarding security can be answered during the induction weekend.

Thanks guys. Genuinely can't wait for induction.

Yeah. They'll answer all your questions and put your mind at ease. Of course there are risks you need to be aware of, but if you're in any way vigilant it's nothing you need to worry about.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 42 SB430

Would anyone be able to tell me the documents you need to send back with the welcome pack? As in passport or birth certificate and photos etc.

You only send back what they send you.. You take all your documents to the induction day with you.. NI number card, birth cert, photos for ID etc

No worries it's that all that you've to bring to induction? Just strong chance I'll be in next and don't want to have to send away for any documents last minute!

I'm not sure if I've left anything out but I had to order a birth cert and it was here a day or 2 later for £26.50

No worries that's great anyway thanks!

• Advertisement

Quick question, with training gear having to be all black are there restrictions on footwear? Some can be bright yellow etc.

Quick question, with training gear having to be all black are there restrictions on footwear? Some can be bright yellow etc.

No, footwear doesn't need to be plain black. Also, t-shirts, shorts and tracksuit bottoms can have small emblems, as long as they're mainly plain black.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Arestel22

Hey guys new to this, not quite at the garnerville stage so sorry if this is a little off topic but was interested to see roughly how long you get contacted about the PCA and medical once you've passed your online training and sent away your vetting forms, any idea roughly? And if I happen to make it to the training this forum has been so helpful thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭shanevendrell

The upper end of 55-60 myself included have PCA dates. Patience, you'll not be waiting too much longer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Arestel22

The upper end of 55-60 myself included have PCA dates. Patience, you'll not be waiting too much longer.

Appreciate the quick reply! Good luck and thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭jordansp21

Just out of curiosity what way does it work with having to stay at GV is it compulsory or can you still just live at home?

Is there any time you have to stay for a couple of days like weekends or residentials?

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭jordansp21

Just out of curiosity what way does it work with having to stay at GV is it compulsory or can you still just live at home?

Is there any time you have to stay for a couple of days like weekends or residentials?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭ColourArcade

jordansp21 wrote: »

From what I've read previously, it appears to be that there is accommodation available for the first 4 weeks to everyone training. It used to be that everyone was to stay for the full 4 weeks, however now it appears that you can travel. After the 4 weeks, depending on how far away you live (50miles+) you can apply for accommodation for the remainder of the training. Someone correct me if I’m wrong on this one [img=8x19]file:///C:\Users\90001820\AppData\Local\Temp\32\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image001.png[/img]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭majgreen

After the recent review the compulsory 4 week residential period was dropped. You no longer have to be residential at GV. However, I would strongly encourage anyone going in to stay for the first four weeks. It will only help you in the long run

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭ColourArcade

majgreen wrote: »
    After the recent review the compulsory 4 week residential period was dropped. You no longer have to be residential at GV. However, I would strongly encourage anyone going in to stay for the first four weeks. It will only help you in the long run
    Thanks Maj! You're a great source of info to the Boards!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Homer01

Looking forward to giving this a good read again :D

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭RedPool2891

Salt in the wounds :D

Good luck and congratulations.  Anyway, I'm off back to the waiting room... :'(

Salt in the wounds :D

Good luck and congratulations.  Anyway, I'm off back to the waiting room... :'(

Still a great thread to read through to get you in the mood :)

Who knows where the people who posted are now? Maybe our future sergeant or inspector by now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Timetravel

Homer01 wrote: »
    Still a great thread to read through to get you in the mood :)

Who knows where the people who posted are now? Maybe our future sergeant or inspector by now.

Crazy! I've been looking through some of the 2013 thread today. So many familiar names and you wonder where they all are now..

Timetravel wrote: »
    Crazy! I've been looking through some of the 2013 thread today. So many familiar names and you wonder where they all are now..

Or you read through their posts and skip to the end so see who got in lol

Think this thread could do with a real good updating in the post Garnerville review era.

Does boot bulling still take place, and if so is it still taken as serious as before? What about the ironing, obvious clothes still need to be ironed but is it to the same standards before? What about show parades....all gone?

Have read the Police Scotland recommendations but would love some real insight into the culture in their now?

Think this thread could do with a real good updating in the post Garnerville review era.

Does boot bulling still take place, and if so is it still taken as serious as before? What about the ironing, obvious clothes still need to be ironed but is it to the same standards before? What about show parades....all gone?

Have read the Police Scotland recommendations but would love some real insight into the culture in their now?

My understanding is while show parades are gone inspections still take place to an equally high standard which does include boot bulling.

You are right given the fact only a fraction of the squad actually stay on site.

And of course my pet peeve; when most people get their offer to GV they either close their account here or are never to be seen again.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭blueboat

We all know what happens during PCA but what do PT sessions in GV consist of?

blueboat wrote: »
    We all know what happens during PCA but what do PT sessions in GV consist of?

Good question. I know they are big Crossfit fans so probably something similar.

• Advertisement

I thought I had read somewhere that the bulling of boots etc...had been scaled back greatly, but as you say nobody ever comes back on to post these things which is a bit poor.

Advertisement