Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How important is swearing in Films and TV shows and programmes?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭DaeryssaOne

I have found Irish films with the swearing removed to be completely unwatchable - I was in the states years ago and the Commitments came on during the day, delighted with myself I sat down to watch it and then quickly realised it was just not as funny and sounded wrong with all the cursing removed. Same with The Guard - tried to watch it on a flight and it was so heavily censored that it almost wasn't making sense!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

It's odd that stuff made by mainstream American networks will show violence and sex but the nearest to bad language is p1ssed off or sh1t. Take Sons Of Anarchy,s great show with badass bikers.It has some fairly rough scenes but swearing is a no no.
    In the satellite forum we had one poster complain over having to enter a pin on movie channels during the day.A small inconvenience to keep kids from watching inappropriate content and allowing adults to watch stuff they want without having to wait until after 9pm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

gramar wrote: »
    It should be used in soaps anyway. People from working class areas like Weatherfield or Albert Square and not a swear word in over 50 years in the case of Coronation St and Eastenders in over 30 years.

"Get the fuck outta my pub, yiz cunts"

gallery-1463569910-frank-peggy-fight.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 11,714 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

RayM wrote:
    "Get the **** outta my pub, yiz *****"

Ha, how did u manage to do that cursing without boards starring it out?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,122 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Ha, how did u manage to do that cursing without boards starring it out?

different text colours for the u's.

• Advertisement

zerks wrote: »
    ...In the satellite forum we had one poster complain over having to enter a pin on movie channels during the day.A small inconvenience to keep kids from watching inappropriate content and allowing adults to watch stuff they want without having to wait until after 9pm.

so someone orders a film that could be an 18 film and can watch it at 3pm in the afternoon on the satellite? - sorry for my ignorance but i have never ordered the box office things on SKY or anything ever, I dont even have the film pack, I just have the basic sky channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,122 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

so someone orders a film that could be an 18 film and can watch it at 3pm in the afternoon on the satellite? - sorry for my ignorance but i have never ordered the box office things on SKY or anything ever, I dont even have the film pack, I just have the basic sky channels.

Its not the box office. the regular movie channels on sky require a pin before 8PM.

OK so someone in a block of flats or someone in a house with the window open can order and watch/listen to a film high at volume with people's surround sound systems they have with TV's these days with very strong language and expletives at any time of the day/afternoon and very young children can be in the area playing outside the open windows or flat above or below and hear all this audio from the movie just because someone decides they want to listen to a 18 classified movie in the middle of the day with no problem or governing/restrictions ... it just doesnt seem right to me - something pretty disturbing about it , for minors to be able to hear all this language and content freely like this - and dont even go there where children emulate when they hear swear words and continue to repeat it. No wonder children these days are growing up too quickly!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Yeh I think its important. In shows about serious issues like crime/murder/cheating/drugs etc where emotions would run high and people would naturally curse a lot out of frustration/anger then its needed to add a layer of realism to the show/movie. If Im watching a horror or thriller and a character gets a fright or something and they shout oh DAMN IT or some other non curse word, in place of a curse word that a person would use in that situation, I think it weakens it overall

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭.........

How important do you think swearing is in films & TV shows?

Would you enjoy the film the film or programme any less if the swearing was removed/edited out/bleeped? - would you know if you had never tried it?

When I was younger, not knowing any better, I used to think it was great to hear and see it on TV and film along with violence. Now I'm so sick of hearing and seeing it.

I think a lot of film and tv "drama" relies heavily on it to make up for poor writing.

In the real world it's a classic sign of a lack of argument/vocabulary combined with a lack of self control.

• Advertisement

......... wrote: »
    When I was younger, not knowing any better, I used to think it was great to hear and see it on TV and film along with violence. Now I'm so sick of hearing and seeing it.

I think a lot of film and tv "drama" relies heavily on it to make up for poor writing.

In the real world it's a classic sign of a lack of argument/vocabulary combined with a lack of self control.

actually I think your right - the 'shock factor' of "oh look at all the swearing in that film" has now long gone and its become the norm and it doesnt shock people as such any more , but it really does feel like writer/production teams use it as a tool now for laughs or substitute for good lines in a movie rather than effect most of the time and its well overused sometimes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

It depends. For certain films like The Commitments it makes the film. Same with series like Love/Hate. One is getting inside the dialogue of how such characters talk. For others, it is unnecessary and often modern American cop films have too much of it and it is not needed and seems overexaggerated and in there for the sake of it. Bleeps for swear words or silenced out is the other extreme. They should be in there if it serves the story or the film's humour.

Advertisement