Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

€300M Investment into Waterford City

Options
  • 21-03-2017 1:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭PremierDeise

Fingers crossed. Hopefully it might open the governments eyes in terms of 24/7 cardiac care, airport and University status....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

I'm unfamiliar with foreign investment of this scale into cities like ours. I've seen it with soccer clubs obviously ha ha, but this can only be a good thing though, surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,498 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Allahu Akbar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

Just checking the date!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Gavlor wrote: »

Someone should tell the Irish Times that North Wall Quay is not the name of any place in Waterford. Also, I'd take issue with this comment:
    Waterford city centre has been in decline since Waterford Wedgwood announced the closure of its crystal glass plant in Dungarvan in 2005

(And what does the Dungarvan plant have to do with anything? :confused: )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Just checking the date!

First thing I did too

• Registered Users Posts: 37,760 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

good for the city

Those saudi guys must be extremely wealthy but would investing in a small city like ours be worthwhile

Cant get the image of our City Councillors with Keffiyeh's on during the offical opening/annoucement lol (no offence intended for any saudi people)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

Will it be Kilkenny or Waterford that they'll be investing in, geographically speaking of course!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

fricatus wrote: »
    Someone should tell the Irish Times that North Wall Quay is not the name of any place in Waterford. Also, I'd take issue with this comment:

Pretty sure the IT (paper of record) doesn't have a correspondent for this neck of the woods these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Thought this was interesting too.
    The plan is likely to involve the development of a new transport system linking both side of the river.

Even if it's only a pedestrian bridge from North Quays to the city centre, it'd be welcome. Or could they mean a shuttle bus?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭dzilla

Hopefully he brings a bucket of tarmac out to the airport aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

I'd like to know how they'll develop Michael Street and add a development larger than Mahon Point to the North Quays for €300m. That seems like such a small amount for large-scale projects like these.

Apparently Mahon Point cost €230m in 2005 money. I'm not sure how current construction costs compare to the boom years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭BBM77

gscully wrote: »
    I'd like to know how they'll develop Michael Street and add a development larger than Mahon Point to the North Quays for €300m. That seems like such a small amount for large-scale projects like these.

The reason is that the only fact is the sites have been purchased by this Saudi property company the rest is just speculation at this stage. For god sake the IT article is gibberish in places!
    The proposed shopping centre will be located close to the two principal streets, Barronstrand Street and Broad Street, and is planned to open for business before the end of next year

The Newgate centre is going to be built in a year is it :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,989 ✭✭✭iseegirls

BBM77 wrote: »
    The reason is that the only fact is the sites have been purchased by this Saudi property company the rest is just speculation at this stage. For god sake the IT article is gibberish in places!

The main article is in the Waterford News And Star, think it's 4 pages in total. The Irish times, along with Newstalk and The Mirror are taking whatever information from the papers article, and trying to add their own unique take on it, by adding in silly incorrect info about the Waterford Glass in Dungarvan etc..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Dum_Dum

Funny how Waterford can be seen from 5000 miles away, but successive Dublin governments can't see beyond their own nose.

I, for one, will never forget the way this City has been treated by the rest of this pathetic country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Deiseen

Dum_Dum wrote: »
    Funny how Waterford can be seen from 5000 miles away, but successive Dublin governments can't see beyond their own nose.

I, for one, will never forget the way this City has been treated by the rest of this pathetic country.

Sure they can't even see the place across the KK border! Some KK lads on the boundary extension thread openly stated that they'd prefer jobs and services focused in Dublin than the region.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,209 ✭✭✭goochy

I often hear about how neglected Waterford is , but as someone who passes through it a lot on my way back home to Kildare ( no toll road for me ) - it certainly looks prosperous enough and has a good enough physical environment.
    I am fond of Limerick but its full of eyesores - its like going back to pre celtic tiger days when we didn't bother about how things looked.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

You may hear about Waterford being neglected and on the outside it may look otherwise but believe me, having lived in Waterford for 10 years, it has been battered worst than most places. Having just read that Burger King is pulling out of City Square, it's just another name on a long list...

I am really excited about this development, don't care whether it's KK or WD or whatever the case is, as long as it generates lots of jobs and interest in the region.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Deiseen

erica74 wrote: »
    You may hear about Waterford being neglected and on the outside it may look otherwise but believe me, having lived in Waterford for 10 years, it has been battered worst than most places. Having just read that Burger King is pulling out of City Square, it's just another name on a long list...

I am really excited about this development, don't care whether it's KK or WD or whatever the case is, as long as it generates lots of jobs and interest in the region.

Hearing a lot about this lately. Aren't burger king only pulling out to facilitate the city Square expansion???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭fuzzy dunlop

fricatus wrote: »
    Gavlor wrote: »

Waterford city centre has been in decline since Waterford Wedgwood announced the closure of its crystal glass plant in Dungarvan in 2005

I know its f*cking disgraceful.Lazy uneducated journalism! Dungarvan FFS!  I would say if the place became like a mini Dubai with imported sunshine the so called paper of record would still be telling stories of decline and how Waterford Crystal is the biggest employer:angry:

The news seems to suggest that is the case, however, it's a pity a deal couldn't be reached to keep them in City Square during the works and after the works are complete or relocate to another premises in Waterford. I'm not a fan of fastfood but it always seemed to be very busy when I walked by.

I see NAMA are part of the deal maybe this explains some of the costing, that said we're only getting a fraction of the detail needed to understand the financing of all that is proposed.

http://www.independent.ie/business/saudi-firm-gets-green-light-to-develop-shopping-centre-in-waterford-35551920.html

A bit more here, mention of the railway station being moved to the North Quay.

Argh no! Sorry about that, I just googled waterford north quays and it was the first result.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

erica74 wrote: »
    The news seems to suggest that is the case, however, it's a pity a deal couldn't be reached to keep them in City Square during the works and after the works are complete or relocate to another premises in Waterford. I'm not a fan of fastfood but it always seemed to be very busy when I walked by.

Burger King may be busy but is it really that much of a pity to see a 'mega franchise' fast food place leave/close....albeit only during the redevelopment of city square. The only decent thing either BK or McDonalds sell is their coffee......the burgers chips wraps etc are consistently 'Muck' no matter where in the world you get them. This is off topic in any case. I'm sure the €300million development will have its fair share of 'food outlets' that will more than make up for any losses in burger sales that the temporary closure of BK will result in

• Registered Users Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭taytobreath

this story is true, the investors were over here. the following links are the crowd.

http://fawazalhokair.com/index.php

http://www.fawazalhokairfashion.com/brands/

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Teebor15

This is brilliant news for Waterford...but just how over the line is it?

Is it a John Halligan type "done deal" where the Saudis are just going to have one more look before signing on the dotted line? or are they fully committed just waiting on our side to get their ducks in a row.

After so many false dawns in this city, with the University, hospital, Airport, etc..that i can be forgiven for being twitchy until i see the bricks being laid.

• Advertisement

Teebor15 wrote: »
    This is brilliant news for Waterford...but just how over the line is it?

Is it a John Halligan type "done deal" where the Saudis are just going to have one more look before signing on the dotted line? or are they fully committed just waiting on our side to get their ducks in a row.

After so many false dawns in this city, with the University, hospital, Airport, etc..that i can be forgiven for being twitchy until i see the bricks being laid.

Supposed to be a council meeting on Thursday, which is supposed to give approval for contract talks for the work to be done.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement