Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Japan 2019 World Cup draw

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Have Italy qualified automatically? They are 15th behind Samoa, Tonga, Georgia and Fiji in the world rankings

• Registered Users Posts: 13,282 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Have Italy qualified automatically? They are 15th behind Samoa, Tonga, Georgia and Fiji in the world rankings

Yes, Top 3 in every group at the last World Cup qualifies automatically.

Ireland Possible groups.
    Ireland(1), South Africa(2), Argentina (3).
    Ireland(1), Scotland(2), Japan(3).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Ireland Possible groups.
    Forgotten about that :/
    Scotland as the 2nd best seed in the group would do nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭nc6000

Ireland Possible groups.

Is this correct that we'll definitely have one of those groups?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

nc6000 wrote: »

No it's just a possible group

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

No absolutely not. Ireland can have any of the following.

Scotland OR Wales OR South Africa OR France

And

Argentina OR Fiji OR Japan OR Georgia

Sorry, that was just a best/worst case sort of thing.

Could also get any of the other teams from Pot 2 (France or Wales) or Pot 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,742 ✭✭✭✭bilston

This is the thing about the rankings. It's great being top 4, but we could still end up with France/South Africa and Argentina in our pool. I've still no idea why they do the draw so far out from the WC (and it used to be earlier than this). I'm sure there must be some sort of logistical reason? Anyone know what it is?

bilston wrote: »
    This is the thing about the rankings. It's great being top 4, but we could still end up with France/South Africa and Argentina in our pool. I've still no idea why they do the draw so far out from the WC (and it used to be earlier than this). I'm sure there must be some sort of logistical reason? Anyone know what it is?

Definitely logistical, mainly for ticket sales.
    Draw in May, fixture decided around September, then the next 22 months selling tickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭turnikett1

Is it possible to go to another World Cup without getting knocked out by Argentina for the 4th time? :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

bilston wrote: »

Would still rather be top 4 than not, mind. Having France or South Africa in your group doesn't appear to be as daunting a task as it would've been in tournaments passed. Though France have improved a lot under Noves already...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

aloooof wrote: »
    Would still rather be top 4 than not, mind. Having France or South Africa in your group doesn't appear to be as daunting a task as it would've been in tournaments passed. Though France have improved a lot under Noves already...

September 2019 is along time off. Remember how useless Australia were just 6 months prior to the last world cup.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Being top 4 means there is zero chance of having New Zealand, England or Australia in our group. I'll take that over having France or SA instead!

September 2019 is along time off. Remember how useless Australia were just 6 months prior to the last world cup.

Agreed, and it is hard to tell this far out, but even allowing for improvements from both France and SA, I'd still rather be in the position we are in.

EDIT: Peregrine's post above sums it up pretty well for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,711 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

I guess Japan will go straight into Group A as there hosts and in fact if we get drawn in that group than we could play them on the first night of the tournament ??

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

If my aim was to win the world cup I think I'd rather be in a pool with New Zealand than be Tier 1 in a pool with France (for example). The form of the 2nd to 8th best teams now is still fairly meainginless. The only constant is that New Zealand are the best in the world, and the only way to guarantee avoiding them in the quarter or semi is to play them in the pool.

In two out of the last three world cups, both finalists have come from the same pool.

I also think the most important element of the draw for us is the potential quarter finalists. If we're in a pool with South Africa that will be annoying. But if we're going to play the winner / loser of the pool with Australia, Scotland and Japan I'd back us to beat Aus and Scotland and then semi final time.

If on the other hand, we're in a pool with Scotland and Japan, but we're gonna play the winner loser of the New Zealand, South Africa or Argentina pool we might have a problem. The team that comes second in the pool of death is probably going to be an in form tier 1 nation and I guess the Bayesian part of me thinks theyre likely to be better than the other "losing" quarter finalists.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

The draw is tomorrow week. What draw would people like to get?

Anyone but Argentina from pot 3...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Band 1: New Zealand, England, Australia, Ireland
    Band 2: Scotland, France, South Africa, Wales
    Band 3: Argentina, Japan, Georgia, Italy
    Band 4: Americas 1, Europe 1, Oceania 1, Oceania 2
    Band 5: Africa 1, Americas 2, Europe/Oceania play-off, Repechage

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

you have to think SA would be somewhat recovered come the rwc. So hopefully not them from pot 2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Wales and Argentina would be our nightmare

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Probability is that we will fall at the q/f stage. That is assuming we avoid Argies, mighn't get out of the group in such an event unless we get Scots & Argies.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,711 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Band 1: New Zealand, England, Australia, Ireland
    Band 2: Scotland, France, South Africa, Wales
    Band 3: Argentina, Japan, Georgia, Italy
    Band 4: Americas 1, Europe 1, Oceania 1, Oceania 2
    Band 5: Africa 1, Americas 2, Europe/Oceania play-off, Repechage

Scotland, Georgia,America's 1 and Africa 1 please

But we will prob get the hardest possible draw like Wales, Argentina

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Rightwing wrote: »
    Probability is that we will fall at the q/f stage. That is assuming we avoid Argies, mighn't get out of the group in such an event unless we get Scots & Argies.

Why on earth would getting Argentina as a 3rd seed increase our ability of getting out of our group? Are you really thinking Argentina are preferable to Georgia, Japan or Italy?

Rightwing wrote: »

If we went by probabilities, nobody would watch any sport... Happily rugby matches aren't decided by probability.

Oceania 1&2 from Pot 4 would probably be good ones to avoid as well.
    Likely Samoa, and one of Tonga and Fiji.

Why on earth would getting Argentina as a 3rd seed increase our ability of getting out of our group? Are you really thinking Argentina are preferable to Georgia, Japan or Italy?

I think he's saying that if we get Argentina from the 3rd pot, we mightn't get out of the group at all, unless we also had Scotland from pot 2. I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

aloooof wrote: »
    I think he's saying that if we get Argentina from the 3rd pot, we mightn't get out of the group at all, unless we also had Scotland from pot 2. I think.

Ahhh I think you're right. Yes that would make more sense.

We have the beating of France and Wales for sure and South Africa may be the weakest of all those teams unless they sort their issues out. It may quite a weak group by 2019.

Also from a non Irish pov, I think its wrong that they took the qualifying spot away from Asia just because Japan had qualified automatically.
    So now the rest of the Asian teams can only get in through the repechage spot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

It is a bit off, but no question the Argies are the team to avoid for all. Japs could also be a handful from Pot 3

Advertisement