Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Clerical Officer in Waterford Council

Options
  • 01-02-2017 12:47pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,836 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Did anyone else apply for this? Or does anyone know the general timeframe of when we should hear about the first assessment?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

I applied for it too - I know as much as you do! Just the standard email telling us they'd be in touch in due course regarding the aptitude tests.

I'm hoping it'll be within the next fortnight anyway. When I applied for the Clerical Officer in the Civil service, it was almost exactly a month between submitting my application and getting the aptitude test, so fingers crossed these roles work around the same timelines.

I'd love to know how many applied!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,836 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

I applied for it too - I know as much as you do! Just the standard email telling us they'd be in touch in due course regarding the aptitude tests.

I'm hoping it'll be within the next fortnight anyway. When I applied for the Clerical Officer in the Civil service, it was almost exactly a month between submitting my application and getting the aptitude test, so fingers crossed these roles work around the same timelines.

I'd love to know how many applied!

Yeah I applied to that too, I was sick for the supervised tests though and really messed them up :( Hoping that this is my second chance!

I hate how drawn out these things are, wish they could just start the assessments and give the results out right away!!

deise_girl wrote: »
    Yeah I applied to that too, I was sick for the supervised tests though and really messed them up :( Hoping that this is my second chance!

I hate how drawn out these things are, wish they could just start the assessments and give the results out right away!!

I know, they really take their time, don't they? I actually did ok on the supervised test, but I wouldn't say there's a whole lot of positions in Waterford (compared to say Dublin), so I'm not holding my breath for an interview any time soon.

How did you find the WCC application form? I thought it was a bitch compared to the civil service one. Took me hours to fill out!

I know, they really take their time, don't they? I actually did ok on the supervised test, but I wouldn't say there's a whole lot of positions in Waterford (compared to say Dublin), so I'm not holding my breath for an interview any time soon.

How did you find the WCC application form? I thought it was a bitch compared to the civil service one. Took me hours to fill out!

Yeah I kept putting it off it looked so tedious! Trying to come up with good competency examples and then to find you need to write a personal statement.. I really hate those things.
    Do you think they'll weed many out on the basis of the application? Atleast with the civil service everyone had a chance at the tests.

Do you think they'll weed many out on the basis of the application? Atleast with the civil service everyone had a chance at the tests.

Well what I took from the auto reply email was that everyone that applied would receive the date of the aptitude test in due course.

I'd say of those that pass that and then pass the numerical/verbal reasoning/error checking, the application will then come into play when inviting people for interview. It's really unchartered territory for me though, as it does seem slightly different from the way the civil service do things. I've also heard the pass rate for the numerical/verbal reasoning and error checking are stricter than the CS.

If we do well, it'll be nice not having to travel to Dublin for each stage though!

• Advertisement

Sorry to be dragging this up again but I still never heard a word from them?

Me neither. They're really dragging it out now.

I asked in the Limerick CC Clerical Officer thread over on the Work & Jobs forum how long they were waiting, just to get an idea of timeframes and got this reply:
    Expression of interest was in mid Nov & we received an email on 21st Dec inviting us to the test in early Jan... Christmas in the middle may have delayed things for us, hopefully you won't have to wait as long for your test. It was 3 weeks later we received our test results and nothing yet for the next stage... hope this helps and best of luck to you!

So, it seems they were waiting around 5/6 weeks from application stage to being invited to the test - we're waiting a good bit longer than that at this stage. Submissions of application closed on 13 January and nothing further almost 2 months later. I haven't a notion what's taking them so long, tbh.

Yeah like it's a bit much really.. Why bother have the closing date so long ago if you're not going to follow up on it?
    I keep thinking I'm just not on their mailing list somehow, that I've been forgotten!
    The amount of time they're taking probably says a lot about the number of vacancies that they have :/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

Yeah like it's a bit much really.. Why bother have the closing date so long ago if you're not going to follow up on it?
    I keep thinking I'm just not on their mailing list somehow, that I've been forgotten!
    The amount of time they're taking probably says a lot about the number of vacancies that they have :/

Lots of vacancies, since they don't have any clerical staff to administer this competition...?! :confused:

Lots of vacancies, since they don't have any clerical staff to administer this competition...?! :confused:

Spoken like a real optimist!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭Saysay19

Spoken like a real optimist!

Hey I got an email this morning about sitting the tests.

Has anyone else?

Saysay19 wrote: »
    Hey I got an email this morning about sitting the tests.

Has anyone else?

Yes, I got it too - about bleedin' time!

Yes, I got it too - about bleedin' time!

I know half relieved half sick. Maths is not my strongest point.

I know half relieved half sick. Maths is not my strongest point.

Yeah, maths wouldn't be my strongest suit either. Sure all we can do is practice the sample tests and do our best on the day.....

....And hope half the candidates don't turn up :P

Yeah, maths wouldn't be my strongest suit either. Sure all we can do is practice the sample tests and do our best on the day.....

....And hope half the candidates don't turn up :P

Wouldn't that be great!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,763 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

sounds like some trek to get the jobs, a number of interviews, qustionaires, exams etc

best of luck and hope ye are all successful

They don't give much notice so they?! Luckily I was able to work something out to get the time off for it! I wonder how many are in the running or if our initial applications stand for anything after these assesments?
    Best of luck everyone!!

They don't give much notice so they?! Luckily I was able to work something out to get the time off for it! I wonder how many are in the running or if our initial applications stand for anything after these assesments?
    Best of luck everyone!!

A girl I know has her tests 9am Wednesday and I'm a few hours after, there must be a few sessions on. Hopefully not everyone will turn up!

A girl I know has her tests 9am Wednesday and I'm a few hours after, there must be a few sessions on. Hopefully not everyone will turn up!

I didn't realise there was a few different times! I'm at 9am myself.

I didn't realise there was a few different times! I'm at 9am myself.

Yep! I was a bit disheartened when I heard!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 EllieVH

Hi Guys,

Do you have any links for practice tests? I googled "aptitude test" and started doing a few of those but I'm looking to see if there's any specific ones for city council jobs.

Thanks

EllieVH wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

Do you have any links for practice tests? I googled "aptitude test" and started doing a few of those but I'm looking to see if there's any specific ones for city council jobs.

Thanks

I don't but I think on public jobs.ie have practice tests!

I did an evening last year on clerical assessments and how to prepare for the tests.

I'm still not ready!

I found the verbal fine and thought I was off to great things, little did I realise.. I skipped 2 in the numerical they were just taking me too long so I decided to move on to others. And the error checking, lol, I was on the second page but still had a fair few left!
    I'm so used to doing these tests on a computer I definitely think the pages and writing slowed me down, but I'm sure many were delighted not having to do it on a screen

• Registered Users Posts: 31 EllieVH

Same here :) 7 minutes? LOL.

I left out the last 2 in the numerical and did 30/40 in the clerical check. Not enough time!

Just hope the ones I did were all correct.

Good luck to everyone.

EllieVH wrote: »
    Same here :) 7 minutes? LOL.

I left out the last 2 in the numerical and did 30/40 in the clerical check. Not enough time!

Just hope the ones I did were all correct.

Good luck to everyone.

Yea seems really similar to myself! Praying we get something from it all!!

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Waffleturd

Delighted we'll be getting the results next week! That clerical checking was a hoot...!

Fair play to those who got to 30 in the Clerical checking...I only managed 23!! Was concentrating on accuracy rather than timing myself. Think the clerical checking may have goosed up my chances. 7 minutes is crazy given the amount of detail you have to check.

The verbal was fine, finished all those, but I ran out of time on the last four questions in the numerical, although I found the numerical far easier than previous civil/public service tests.

Quite surprised when the guy said that only just over 500 had applied for the jobs...that's far less than I expected. Still don't reckon I reached the standard to advance to interview, but sure it's all practice I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭taytobreath

Fair play to those who got to 30 in the Clerical checking...I only managed 23!! Was concentrating on accuracy rather than timing myself. Think the clerical checking may have goosed up my chances. 7 minutes is crazy given the amount of detail you have to check.

The verbal was fine, finished all those, but I ran out of time on the last four questions in the numerical, although I found the numerical far easier than previous civil/public service tests.

Quite surprised when the guy said that only just over 500 had applied for the jobs...that's far less than I expected. Still don't reckon I reached the standard to advance to interview, but sure it's all practice I guess.

500 applied for how many jobs?

You don't know yet though, even if you feel you answered less you could have answered more accurately than most! :)

I thought the same re so few applying, I thought that a huge number would, although I've no idea how many vacancies to expect to come up.

• Advertisement

500 applied for how many jobs?

If I remember correctly, he mentioned that around 520 people had applied for the clerical assistant/library assistant jobs and maybe 400ish expected to turn up for the exam.

No idea how many positions there are between Waterford City and Dungarvan, but he said he would get on to WC&CC before the end of next week to try and get a figure.

Advertisement