Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marvel Neflix Thread

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

pixelburp wrote: »
    In fairness, a lot of the negative reviews have also cited poor characters and limp action. Remains to be seen when I watch it myself, but many have openly said it just lacks the style and substance of the other Netflix shows.

Most of the reviews have read really bad but they've all also been sure to point out they've only seen the first 6 episodes. Hopefully something huge happens in episode 7 that kicks it into gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,194 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Most of the reviews have read really bad but they've all also been sure to point out they've only seen the first 6 episodes. Hopefully something huge happens in episode 7 that kicks it into gear.

Yeah, like a reverse Luke Cage. I enjoyed the first half of the season with Cottonmouth but once Diamondback came into it, I thought it went downhill a bit. Still an enjoyable watch, but took a turn for the worse.

Hopefully the second half of Iron Fist kicks it up a notch.

Penn wrote: »
    Yeah, like a reverse Luke Cage. I enjoyed the first half of the season with Cottonmouth but once Diamondback came into it, I thought it went downhill a bit. Still an enjoyable watch, but took a turn for the worse.

Hopefully the second half of Iron Fist kicks it up a notch.

Funny, reverse Luke Cage was exactly what I was hoping for!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Iron Fist is presumably like the other Netflix shows and a 15 episode season 1; episode 7 would want to be something spectacular if those 6 episodes really are as limp as these reviews are implying. And given all previous shows have had distinct problems with their back halfves & sticking the landing, I'm not holding out hope Iron First reversing the trend!

Don't get me wrong I'm not hoping Iron Fist is bad, but given Daredevil, Jessica Jones and Luke Cage all had their own problems but by-and-large succeeded despite them, I'm worried Iron Fist just won't

And given all previous shows have had distinct problems with their back halfves & sticking the landing, I'm not holding out hope Iron First reversing the trend!

I'd disagree there. I thought the second halves of both Daredevil S1 and Jessica Jones were every bit as good (if not better) than the first halves and both ended really well.

Luke Cage as I said before definitely had a much weaker second half. Daredevil S2 admittedly did too, but the first half of DD S2 was so strong with the Punisher.

• Advertisement

Iron Fist is presumably like the other Netflix shows and a 15 episode season 1; episode 7 would want to be something spectacular if those 6 episodes really are as limp as these reviews are implying. And given all previous shows have had distinct problems with their back halfves & sticking the landing, I'm not holding out hope Iron First reversing the trend!

Don't get me wrong I'm not hoping Iron Fist is bad, but given Daredevil, Jessica Jones and Luke Cage all had their own problems but by-and-large succeeded despite them, I'm worried Iron Fist just won't

Yeah to be fair that's me grasping at straws: There's nothing actually indicating the second half is good, I'm just hoping the reason they've not been shown is something amazing happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Anyone started Iron Fist yet? I can't start until about 12:30... I know reviews have been negative but I'm still really excited...!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,012 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

First episode was really enjoyable! Bit cheesy but really good overall!

First episode was really enjoyable! Bit cheesy but really good overall!

Yep, really enjoying this show so far. On episode 4 and it's moving along very nicely!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,268 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I'm on the 4th episode and I am loving it I have to say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Ben Gadot

Haven't watched yet but some of the negatives the critics came up with sounded either PC or subjective.....but it's easy to be subjective as we all know.

A particular beef I had with the critics is that they skewered the casting of Danny Rand as a white man even though Rand was a white man in the comics if I'm not mistaken?

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Ben Gadot wrote: »
    Haven't watched yet but some of the negatives the critics came up with sounded either PC or subjective.....but it's easy to be subjective as we all know.

A particular beef I had with the critics is that they skewered the casting of Danny Rand as a white man even though Rand was a white man in the comics if I'm not mistaken?

You sir are correct, clearly critics don't Google search before mouthing off with their opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭brianregan09

God that Ward guy is such a dick ! some great acting in it , I really don't know what show the critics were watching Danny has been great too

Sometimes critics decide they're going to crap on something regardless of merit, welcome to my world!

Episode 4 was pretty great!

Just finished episode 5 and I'm finding really a strong series moving along at great pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,927 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Only on episode 2 but I don't even know what show the Independent reviewer was watching. Danny particularly said he didn't want money and yet that's a thing he beats him with in the review

• Registered Users Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Yeah im on episode 3 now and Danny is instantly more likeable than say Luke Cage or Jessica Jones

RZA of the Wu-Tang Clan directed episode 6 he also directed The Man with the Iron Fists.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

Only on episode 3 but great so far. Was worried after the reviews

I gotta say, the reviews really did have me worried. So far though, each episode has been better than the last.

I thought the first 2 episodes were suuuuuuppppper slow but it certainly gets better as it goes along.

I did find Danny and his super stereotypical "need to find myself before I can access my true power" storyline quite boring, but everything around it-
    Gao, Wing, Hogarth
    etc- was interesting.

I also think Ward probably has the most complete and interesting character development in the MCU so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Well I'm half way through the first episode and the writing is woeful; a hobo literally turned up with an iPhone and asked a character if they wanted him to look Google anything. I'm really struggling with this but I'll stick with it for another few episodes based on the praise it's getting here.

FunLover18 wrote: »
    Well I'm half way through the first episode and the writing is woeful; a hobo literally turned up with an iPhone and asked a character if they wanted him to look Google anything. I'm really struggling with this but I'll stick with it for another few episodes based on the praise it's getting here.

First episode is awful. I nearly gave up too. By the fourth I was kinda interested.

I've watched the first 4 and am liking it well enough. The
    identity issue was interesting but they resolved it abruptly and in a slightly silly way.

The acting is very good. Finn Jones is doing a good enough job. He falls flat sometimes on certain deliveries but all things considered he's got a likeable quality with a slightly off kilter manner going on. The reviews accusing him of playing it like a pretentious spoilt brat were certainly not justified for me.

I think Jones is miscast but he's still doing well. Two episodes to go and I fcuking love this show now!

Finished. Genuinely enjoyed this more than Luke Cage, which I loved. Fantastic stuff!

Yeah I have to say I enjoyed it more than Luke Cage overall. Didn't particularly think Finn Jones was that great but the rest of the cast were very good, David Wenham and Jessica Henwick in particular. The Hand story was great and nice to see another side of them than we've seen in Daredevil, and Madame Gao is boss.

It was a rough start but it picked up steam as it went on. Enjoyed it a lot (but not as good as JJ or either DD season).

• Advertisement

I'm the opposite it seems in that I enjoyed the season early on only to get a bit restless towards the end.

The negatives first:

They tried to pack a lot into those final episodes and it didn't quite work for me. I also bought Rand as a character more early on than I did towards the end. Jones just wasn't quite capable of pulling off Rand's unbridled fury as the truth dawned on him but again the writing/direction hampered him.

The finale was also weak both in resolving Rand's season 1 arc in a satisfying manner (it really is frustrating that Ward and Wing received a more satisfying resolution on this score than the main man) and also as a stepping stone to The Defenders. I loved every bit of these Netflix shows up until now but the one thing that irked me about all of them is the almost intentional frustration of the natural story progression. It just seems either lazy or cheap to me that it's left to Claire Temple and Hogarth to a lesser extent to be the glue between the characters (at least the latter gets to interact with the heroes in different ways, the former has more or less served the same purpose across all shows as their best bud/love interest). There's no feasible reason why at least Rand wouldn't have crossed paths with Murdoch in Iron Fist once the hand started to act the bollox and Claire knew how dangerous it was going to be.

This is the first time that the budget became an actual problem between the lack of Fist time and lack of proper flashbacks to build up Rand's back story properly.

There are positives of course:

A better written Rand will fit nicely I think alongside the other Defenders. I wouldn't mind seeing the bloke pack a bit of weight on though or at the very least change his dress sense. :P

The Hand have been well placed in the story now.

I actually enjoyed the action and not sure what some people expected (I think it's one of those things where the deeper you poke someone's criticism the more it will fall apart). Rand had it much easier than Murdoch did in his beat downs but logically that's fine. Murdoch is trained but not to the level of Rand.

Wing and Ward were really great and I actually enjoyed Wenham's performance.

All in all a perfectly decent to good entry but probably not the one we would have wanted in the run up to The Defenders.

Advertisement