Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting in Garnerville soon? Read this:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭majgreen

You get your stab vest and flakker a few weeks in, and yes, clean shaven every day. No stubble allowed

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Trainiac

Hey guys, part of the April squad, was told that the induction thing, was just one full day, 10 hours long, during the week, dont want to say too much publicly. 
    Im presuming we get told everything we need to know on that day :)

You'll get everything you need to know on the day and have the opportunity to raise any questions too! Used to be two days but easily see why it's down to one!

• Registered Users Posts: 49 FiremanGareth

Can someone clarify something that's already been through GV, I was told that we would go back to do a Further 10 weeks firearm training after we pass out at 22 weeks, is there any truth to this?

Can someone clarify something that's already been through GV, I was told that we would go back to do a Further 10 weeks firearm training after we pass out at 22 weeks, is there any truth to this?

No. This was the old way. Firearms is now incorporated into your training during the 22 weeks

• Advertisement

majgreen wrote: »

No. This was the old way. Firearms is now incorporated into your training during the 22 weeks

So after the 22 weeks do we get told what station we will be going to and issued a firearm even though we will be on probation for 2 years??

majgreen wrote: »

So after the 22 weeks do we get told what station we will be going to and issued a firearm even though we will be on probation for 2 years??

Yes, you'll not be let out on the ground without a firearm. You'll also not pass your training if they don't think you're safe with it, so there's no issues.

Majgreen thank you for the replies one last question donwe get to pick what station/area we want or do we get allocated it automatically

Majgreen thank you for the replies one last question donwe get to pick what station/area we want or do we get allocated it automatically

You can select three/four districts you would wish to work in, however stations are allocated based on operational need. Not everyone gets the area they want but that's the nature of the beast

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭shanevendrell

I thought they had relaxed the need to be clean shaven everyday?

• Advertisement

I thought they had relaxed the need to be clean shaven everyday?

That's what I thought too, because in last years graduation you can see people with beards

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Tackleberry1

Its definitely one day for induction now, a few pages back in this thread they were talking about stubble etc I think your allowed to have whatever you have in your ID photo you sent in for vetting.
    I could be wrong though..

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭alphaquebec4

Its definitely one day for induction now, a few pages back in this thread they were talking about stubble etc I think your allowed to have whatever you have in your ID photo you sent in for vetting.
    I could be wrong though..

I would say it's either a proper beard or clean shaven. No stubble.

Clean shaven isn't a garnerville rule, it's a service rule. You either have a fully grown beard or clean shave, no in between stubble. Beards must be kept neat and tidy

Well in that case I'm going to have to grow a beard... Its either that or look like a 15 stone 14 year old on work experience...

• Registered Users Posts: 47 R007

Well in that case I'm going to have to grow a beard... Its either that or look like a 15 stone 14 year old on work experience...

Sounds like me, finally got used to shaving daily. Some guys got it ruff, bleeding necks etc as they weren't used to shaving daily.

So your allowed a beard then aslong as it's neat and tidy?

I've clean shaved about 4 times in my life... I'm in my 30s....

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Lynxbro

Your facial hair needs to match your warrant card, for identification purposes. Therefore if u grow a beard and you are clean shaven in your card then you need to update your card, as far as I am aware anyway. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 SB430

Do they use the photo you send in your welcome pack on your identification card?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21 CaptHarris

SB430 wrote: »
    Do they use the photo you send in your welcome pack on your identification card?

I think they use the photos from Induction.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Clanman889

Guys without going into too much detail, I've completed the online induction learning before my upcoming March intake. I see that in addition to the induction course there are two other courses; procedures/policies and student training programme. Can I just double check that prior to intake day we've only to complete the induction course as the others seem to form part of the actual course itself? Hopefully this makes sense. If someone could please clarify I'd be grateful. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Lynxbro

Yea you are right clanman just ensure you have the induction course complete before intake.!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 SB430

Are all of the exams done like the online learning?

Same idea, just harder with a few curve balls now and then. They aren't done on electronic format though.

With GV is it if you fail an exam your kicked out of the course? Etc etc and ikmow with some forces in the U.K. you get sprayed with the CS gas to experience it, is this the same in GV?

With GV is it if you fail an exam your kicked out of the course? Etc etc and ikmow with some forces in the U.K. you get sprayed with the CS gas to experience it, is this the same in GV?

Fail the first time, you get a resit. Fail that and you're out.

Yes, you get hit with a watered down version.

R007 wrote: »

What's the pass mark? How many exams is there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 CaptHarris

R007 wrote: »

What's the pass mark? How many exams is there

67% pass mark. There are about 6 written exams, all multiple choice.

• Advertisement

How soon into GV do you get the personal safety talk/training?
    Got a few questions I'd like to know the answers to.

Advertisement