Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.

Fine Gael closing down Rural Ireland??

• 12-03-2017 9:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭hurler32

Apparently Bobby Kerrs an post report seeks 80 post office closures, Fine Gael reckon this isnt enough and wants to close 200 post offices instead practically all in rural ireland.
    Fine Gael closed most rural garda stations which has led to a certain Irish ethnic group been more or less told to do as you please??....how can anyone in Rural Ireland vote Fine Gael at this stage?? unless your a top public servant or a very very large dairy farmer??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭Allinall

hurler32 wrote: »
    Apparently Bobby Kerrs an post report seeks 80 post office closures, Fine Gael reckon this isnt enough and wants to close 200 post offices instead practically all in rural ireland.
    Fine Gael closed most rural garda stations which has led to a certain Irish ethnic group been more or less told to do as you please??....how can anyone in Rural Ireland vote Fine Gael at this stage?? unless your a top public servant or a very very large dairy farmer??

A lot of mis-thruths in your post.

There are roughly 1,100 post offices in Ireland ,
    https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/majority-of-post-offices-are-loss-making-says-an-post-1.3002996%3Fmode%3Damp

With 180 in Dublin

http://www.anpost.ie/AnPost/at+your+local+Post+Office.htm

Up to 200 doesn't nearly represent "practically all in rural Ireland ".

Have you anything to back up your claim that FG closed most of the rural Garda stations?

Regarding the post offices, how much extra tax per week are you prepared to pay to support Loss making ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,153 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I notice you don't have any links in your op to back up your claims. Here is something you might read - the Government's actual plan for rural development:

http://www.ahrrga.gov.ie/app/uploads/2017/01/162404-rural-ireland-action-plan-web-2-1.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭wherearewe45

blanch152 wrote:
    I notice you don't have any links in your op to back up your claims. Here is something you might read - the Government's actual plan for rural development:

This all seems great but what are the chances of a lot of it been realised. I hope all these proposals are implemented but I don't see it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭hurler32

Have you anything to back up your claim that FG closed most of the rural Garda stations?

Regarding the post offices, how much extra tax per week are you prepared to pay to support Loss making ones?[/QUOTE]

!90 of the 200 are in Rural Ireland, for those of us living in Rural Ireland it seems Fine Gael is only too delighted to finish off many towns and villages.

In county Limerick where 80,000 reside Fine Gael closed 19 Garda stations in the last 6 years. There are 2 proper Garda stations remaining NCW & Bruff , both cover huge geographical areas with 1 or 2 cars...there are a number of very active Irish Burglary gangs residing in County Limerick so people are left by Fine Gael like lambs to the slaughter...doesnt matter if its your home heating oil, farmers gates, childrens bikes, pet dogs, cash, jewellery...they rob it all knowing theres no chance of been caught.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,053 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Hurler32, I'm going to leave this thread open. However, I am going to ask that you tone down the ranting tone present in your posts and that you read the charter before posting again.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Regarding the post offices, how much extra tax per week are you prepared to pay to support Loss making ones?

!90 of the 200 are in Rural Ireland, for those of us living in Rural Ireland it seems Fine Gael is only too delighted to finish off many towns and villages.

In county Limerick where 80,000 reside Fine Gael closed 19 Garda stations in the last 6 years. There are 2 proper Garda stations remaining NCW & Bruff , both cover huge geographical areas with 1 or 2 cars...there are a number of very active Irish Burglary gangs residing in County Limerick so people are left by Fine Gael like lambs to the slaughter...doesnt matter if its your home heating oil, farmers gates, childrens bikes, pet dogs, cash, jewellery...they rob it all knowing theres no chance of been caught.

It's nothing to do with FG, FF, or any political party it's to do with life, progress etc.

People in rural Ireland like their one-off houses on their own plots - fair enough and good luck to them, but then people shouldn't be surprised when that type of dispersed development impacts the viability of villages and other settlements - you need clusters to make services like post offices, shops, public transport and even broadband viable

Policing has changed - you don't need a Guard and a station in every village. Better comms, more widespread availability of motorised transport etc mean Guards don't need as many fixed physical locations as they did in previous years. And stuff like you mention in your post gets stolen in urban areas, perhaps even in greater quantities, and it never gets recovered either, so clear up rates for petty theft are not solely a rural issue.

Similarly with post offices - people just don't post stuff any more. An Post could do more to market the service but they don't but I don't see that as a reason for us to subsidise services that are being used as a surrogate for social support.

I don't see the decline in the number of rural pubs as necessarily a bad thing - if we're drinking less, that's a positive.

Personally, if it was me and I had a say I'd prefer that instead of re-opening Garda stations they spent the money on proper high powered four-wheel drive Garda vehicles - not just the cheapest ones they tendered for.......I'd also prefer if the HSE was gotten rid of and the number of sites we provided healthcare from was curtailed with the savings ploughed into a world class air ambulance service, and patient transport service.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Ireland's largest city has shocking infrastructure when compared to cities of similar size in neighbouring countries (Glasgow, Manchester, Liverpool, Sheffield, Amsterdam, Munich, Lisbon, Oslo etc. etc. etc.). So who is getting the short end of the stick in Ireland exactly?!

Getting tired of the rural whinge to be honest. Living in one off housing decimates towns and villages far more than any post office closing down. If you don't want your rural villages wiped out then live in them, not 2 miles outside them.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Agreed. The actual attack is on the fortune Dublin generated and promptly shipped out to "rural Ireland". your local planners, can be blamed for much of it. Ribbon development and dispersed settlements. Instead of living in the actual town or village!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,664 ✭✭✭flutered

Allinall wrote: »
    A lot of mis-thruths in your post.

There are roughly 1,100 post offices in Ireland ,
    https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/majority-of-post-offices-are-loss-making-says-an-post-1.3002996%3Fmode%3Damp

With 180 in Dublin

http://www.anpost.ie/AnPost/at+your+local+Post+Office.htm

how many have gone already

would not an post try some housekeeping of a different kind, like becoming a 21st century buisness, why i am assking is, on feb 27th i sent a smaall package to dublin via regestered post, an post claimed that they tried to deliever it on the thursday, there was no one in so they left a note, the recipent claims that the house was occupied all day and no note was left, another attempt was made to deliever it on the monday again failure, the package was then sent to the undelieveried depot in roscommon, it arrived there on march 8th, it is sstill there, i rang the post office it was sent from today, to be told that it would be in roscommon for a while as a lot of letters and packages end up there, they have lost a regular customer, from now on its only by curiour

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,336 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Why did An Post get rid of PostBank?

It was an innovative service that would have threatened the regular banks but they just closed it down after just opening it and spending a huge amount setting it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Balf

flutered wrote: »
    they have lost a regular customer, from now on its only by curiour
    Which, in fairness, sort of demonstrates that there's nothing unique about the services An Post provide. I'm sure that these closures have virtually no impact on rural life.
    I think their explanation is credible
    http://www.anpost.ie/AnPost/News+and+Information/Response+to+Postbank+statement.htm

the fact that Postbank continues to be loss-making with no prospect of breaking even

Balf wrote: »
    Which, in fairness, sort of demonstrates that there's nothing unique about the services An Post provide. I'm sure that these closures have virtually no impact on rural life.I think their explanation is credible
    unique in the services an post provide, the package is still in roscommon, this is a bank holliday weekend, will it arrrive monday that is doubtfull, that is some wait to have a package returned, what kind of system is there in roscommon to sort packages out, how many employed there, how many should be employed there

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I have one observation on this, it's the Government, not Fine Gael. I think any Government, regardless of the parties involved, would be faced with these dilemmas or challenges.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,336 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

It was an innovative service that would have threatened the regular banks but they just closed it down after just opening it and spending a huge amount setting it up.

Which, in fairness, sort of demonstrates that there's nothing unique about the services An Post provide. I'm sure that these closures have virtually no impact on rural life.I think their explanation is credible

It was the shareholders of Postbank (that included BNP Parisbas) which closed it, due I think to problems with BNP Parisbas. The NTMA could have provided the necessary support for An Post to continue and develop the service.

It is a shame because it would have provided a perfect vehicle for rural banking, and for payment of Social Protection payments and collection of state receipts such as LPT.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

It is a shame because it would have provided a perfect vehicle for rural banking, and for payment of Social Protection payments and collection of state receipts such as LPT.
    I agree that PostBank was a good idea but it would also have been on borrowed time from day one in fairness. Banking is moving online apace. It's probably the best candidate of all for having no bricks and mortar presence. I haven't been into a branch in many years personally and I have them all around me.

I'd say the government's push on rural broadband will have a far greater impact than keeping post offices on life support. The timing is a little unfortunate, but even with "slow" internet you can do online banking etc. without any problems.

murphaph wrote: »
    I agree that PostBank was a good idea but it would also have been on borrowed time from day one in fairness. Banking is moving online apace. It's probably the best candidate of all for having no bricks and mortar presence. I haven't been into a branch in many years personally and I have them all around me.

I'd say the government's push on rural broadband will have a far greater impact than keeping post offices on life support. The timing is a little unfortunate, but even with "slow" internet you can do online banking etc. without any problems.

You cannot get €50 notes online. You cannot lodge cash online. Not everyone is internet savvy, and not everyone trusts the internet, no matter its speed - just because something is possible does not mean it is preferable.

There was over €500 million on deposit with PostBank at the time it closed. Currently, if it existed and paid anything reasonable in interest, it could quadruple that deposit base, particularly if it was promoted.

How many mattresses would be emptied into PostBank in rural Ireland if it was considered safer than keeping the stash of cash hidden, yet easy to withdraw in times of need?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,980 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Agreed. The actual attack is on the fortune Dublin generated and promptly shipped out to "rural Ireland". your local planners, can be blamed for much of it. Ribbon development and dispersed settlements. Instead of living in the actual town or village!

incorrect. there is no attack on anything in relation to dublin. being the economic centre of the country, it is our duty to insure that the whole country receives what it needs to operate.

shut down alcohol action ireland now! end MUP today!

How many mattresses would be emptied into PostBank in rural Ireland if it was considered safer than keeping the stash of cash hidden, yet easy to withdraw in times of need?
    ? But is there not still a post office deposit savings account, that would do exactly what you say?

http://www.anpost.ie/AnPost/MainContent/Personal+Customers/Money+Matters/Savings+and+Investments/?gclid=CjwKEAjwkq7GBRDun9iu2JjyhmsSJADHCD_HTJb7IpMhNs58x5NrIadKvHrYzzkc-Nzk9D3fz4gDZBoCKRrw_wcB

They, the proof of the pudding is the eating. They tried a post bank initiative. It didn't work. Regulatory requirements on banks necessarily create a big overhead, so if they can't make it work in partnership with a bank they'd find it significantly harder without a banking partner.

it is our duty to insure that the whole country receives what it needs to operate.
    Grand. The situation seems to be that the whole country will operate just fine with far fewer rural post offices.

Which saves the costs they incur for stuff we actually need.

They, the proof of the pudding is the eating. They tried a post bank initiative. It didn't work. Regulatory requirements on banks necessarily create a big overhead, so if they can't make it work in partnership with a bank they'd find it significantly harder without a banking partner.

The banking partner would be NTMA. The original banking partner ran into trouble over the banking crash.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Internet. Honestly can't remember last time I was in a bank.

Grand. The situation seems to be that the whole country will operate just fine with far fewer rural post offices.

Which saves the costs they incur for stuff we actually need.

there is no evidence of that. just wishful thinking on your part. if post offices weren't needed they wouldn't exist. the money that would be supposibly saved from removing these vital services would not be spent on other needed things, but would go back into the general pot and be spent on things that actually aren't needed instead.

The banking partner would be NTMA. The original banking partner ran into trouble over the banking crash.
    NTMA isn't a commecial bank. In any event, as I pointed out, NTMA already offer State backed savings products through the post office.

There just isn't the opportunity that you perceive.

. if post offices weren't needed they wouldn't exist

There was a need for them. This need no longer exists.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,853 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

there is no evidence of that. just wishful thinking on your part. if post offices weren't needed they wouldn't exist. the money that would be supposibly saved from removing these vital services would not be spent on other needed things, but would go back into the general pot and be spent on things that actually aren't needed instead.

Why is it a vital service if no one is currently using it?
    If they were being used there wouldn't be a need to close them.

NTMA isn't a commecial bank. In any event, as I pointed out, NTMA already offer State backed savings products through the post office.

There just isn't the opportunity that you perceive.

Savings products do not make up a retail banking service. You cannot get your pension or children's allowance paid into a savings account so you can draw as you need.

Many of An Post services like Bill Pay and their currency products could be drawn together into a branded banking service.

There was a need for them. This need no longer exists.

it obviously does or we wouldn't have post offices
    Del2005 wrote: »
    Why is it a vital service if no one is currently using it?
    If they were being used there wouldn't be a need to close them.

there is no evidence no-one is currently using them. whether they are used or not wouldn't have any effect on whether a service goes should the service need to cut costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭MeTheMan

They are trying there best alrite!! Both closest garda stations have been shut where I live. Closest one is about 40 min drive. Heard far to many stories of locals ringing garda's and being told there was no car available atm.

A lot of neighbours have got gun licences in the last few years because there is a sense you need to protect yourself. I myself got a good dog.

The comments of living in your local village are just ignorant. You clear know little about living in rural Ireland.

MeTheMan wrote: »
    . Heard far to many stories of locals ringing garda's and being told there was no car available atm.

Welcome to life in Dublin. People in Dublin have been hearing this since at least the 90's