Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New Games Review Site

• 09-03-2017 12:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hey Everyone,

I'm Dan from casualirishgamers.com. We are a small team of games reviewers and we have just launched our new website. If you have some spare time please have a look.

Our YouTube channel is youtube.com/channel/UCU21ihLAuCHa1oElUzc7QOw
    Our Facebook Page is facebook.com/CIGGamers/
    Our twitter feed twitter.com/CasualIrish

If you like our videos please subscribe to our channel

Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

I'm going to be blunt... if you want to be taken seriously then the social media portions of your reviews should only be "tacked on". What I mean by that is the website is horrendous.

I get that they're (probably) meant to be AlienWare heads, but to a complete casual the person would be asking themselves "where's the content?"

Try to limit your click counts to content and have your articles / posts on the main page (as you see with other gaming sites).

Also, I'm currently reading the FFVII casual review... You're going to need to proof everything.
    ...and the game now boast some added cheat modes..

^ should be "boasts".

There's a lot of repetition in the articles too, "the game" and "tale" are two examples I can pick out just by skimming.
    You now have the option to turn of the random battle system

^ "off"
    The main story does drift off on multiple tangents and not all real make sense.

To be honest, neither does that sentence!
    As you gain experience for your character with every victorious battel

^ "Battle"
    Fr those that are new to Final Fantasy

^ "For"

• Registered Users Posts: 4 dan1985

Hey,

Thanks for the feedback.

I shall have those errors corrected today.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 dan1985

Hey Everyone,

If you haven't had a chance to check out our site, now would be a great time.

Our newest review has just gone live.

So if you have any interest in the game For Honour please check it out.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

dan1985 wrote: »
    Hey Everyone,

If you haven't had a chance to check out our site, now would be a great time.

Our newest review has just gone live.

So if you have any interest in the game For Honour please check it out.

Thanks

Cmon man, you have the get the game title right for a start.
    It's For Honor.

I went onto the site to have a look.
    Personally I think you need more pictures to go along with your articles instead of having me read a block of text. Especially for the news part.

With regards to the Video 'review' ....it seemed more like a first impressions or general discussion on it. The mic quality wasn't that great, and I don't think one of you guys should be actually PLAYING the game WHILE reviewing.
    I'd suggest you do what most if not all other sites do, in that you write it out, proofread it and then have the best voice among you read it out. Then cut that with interesting and relevant footage for the game.
    You'll see the same is done by IGN or Gamespot or Easy Allies (they have 1 guy read ALL the reviews, even if he didn't write it).

I understand you're only starting out, but there's a lot of competition out there and people need an incentive or reason to be checking out your stuff compared to other sites.

There's one of the regular posters around here that runs or writes for another Irish gaming site, can't think of his username off the top of my head, but you could definitely hit him up for some help or advice.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Cmon man, you have the get the game title right for a start.
    It's For Honor.

I went onto the site to have a look.
    Personally I think you need more pictures to go along with your articles instead of having me read a block of text. Especially for the news part.

With regards to the Video 'review' ....it seemed more like a first impressions or general discussion on it. The mic quality wasn't that great, and I don't think one of you guys should be actually PLAYING the game WHILE reviewing.
    I'd suggest you do what most if not all other sites do, in that you write it out, proofread it and then have the best voice among you read it out. Then cut that with interesting and relevant footage for the game.
    You'll see the same is done by IGN or Gamespot or Easy Allies (they have 1 guy read ALL the reviews, even if he didn't write it).

I understand you're only starting out, but there's a lot of competition out there and people need an incentive or reason to be checking out your stuff compared to other sites.

There's one of the regular posters around here that runs or writes for another Irish gaming site, can't think of his username off the top of my head, but you could definitely hit him up for some help or advice.

I probably wouldn't be quite so negative. Live reviews and discussion is a format in and of themselves. So you don't have to change that really if you don't want.

If you want some tips from someone who's been doing this a long time in varying conditions (I stream live tournaments on location):

If you're going to use a one mike set up (sounds to me like there's a single condensor mike, like a yeti, in the centre of the room) run a little sound check (a throw away recording) first to make sure everyone is roughly the same volume. Move it or the people as necessary to get it as balanced as you can. If you want to block out the sound of the controller a bit you can place something between the controller and the mike. Some people like that sound though for authenticity.

A wee webcam shot in the corner might help your production value too, something like a logitech c920 is more than enough if it's not full screen. You can pick one up during a sale pretty cheap.

Try to avoid anything touching your mikes! There's some scratching sound running through this.

I would, as Sean said, maybe prepare what you want to talk about (it's ok to improvise a bit ofc). Don't be afraid to edit a bit to cut out the dead air.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

Sorry to parrot, but that home page is dire! I'd suggest moving all your content to it to have "live" updates from your Twitter Feed, links to Facebook /YouTube videos.

Just read the For Honor review (I mean "honour" is the correct spelling! But not for US audiences) , a few points...

"On top of looking great, the feel great when controlling them."

^ "they"

"It’s clear that players will feel a need to buy more steel to stay competitive"

^ "the need"

"You also have three options for what direction you attack or in defend from."

^ remove "in"

Please proofread your work! I'd recommend using a free text-to-speech program to play it back and "hear" it aloud ( https://www.naturalreaders.com/ ), as this could reduce the grammatical errors. It could also improve your writing style to be more conversational, rather than a "x hundred word essay on y game".

I just had a quick look at the Casual Review video. That constant scratching is off-putting all right. I can't offer advice with the setup, but go with Doctor Doom's. Having two Dan's can be confusing, and maybe putting a video of yourselves in the corner with annotations could be helpful.

The only other VG review site with a similar setup at the moment would be VideoGamer.com. Even their home page is a nice intro in to why I mentioned putting content first instead of a "landing" page.

Please don't PM me.

Advertisement