Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tunnels underneath the city

• 08-03-2017 7:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Breaston Plants

Have heard about tunnels underneath Galway city, around the Cathedral area, and supposedly one underneath where Shannon dry cleaners was. What were these for, and has any one any more information about them?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 182 ✭✭rabjoshu

around the Cathedral area - none
    Shannon dry cleaners - disused railway tunnel from Ceannt to Cllifden

The one under Shannon dry cleaners was a railway tunnel - it opened onto the Dyke at Dyke Road and continued over the river to clifden.

The entrance is still visible from the station.

Never heard of one under the cathedral but have heard of one from St. Nicholas's to the school across the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Have heard about tunnels underneath Galway city, around the Cathedral area, and supposedly one underneath where Shannon dry cleaners was. What were these for, and has any one any more information about them?

The one at prospect Hill had a rail track I believe,the cathedral one was connected to a jail/gaol

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 182 ✭✭rabjoshu

The one at prospect Hill had a rail track I believe,the cathedral one was connected to a jail/gaol
    The cathedral is the old gaol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

FYI this came up a couple years ago:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=52597935

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,594 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Never heard of one under the cathedral but have heard of one from St. Nicholas's to the school across the road.

St Nicholas COI church? The school across the road is St Pats, not sure why they'd want a tunnel.

There is definitely a tunnel between St Vincents mercy convent and the Mercy Primary School.

St Nicholas COI church? The school across the road is St Pats, not sure why they'd want a tunnel.

There is definitely a tunnel between St Vincents mercy convent and the Mercy Primary School.
    The school used to be the site of a British army barracks. http://www.advertiser.ie/galway/article/19041/the-shambles-barracks-1910

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭conor222

IIRC there was one (or at least was meant to be one) from the Quad in NUIG to the hosptal, used to be used for moving cadavars for medical students back in the day?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,182 ✭✭✭bobbyss

There is some kind of tunnell/cell/dungeon on the land on the right hand side as you drive into Dangan House.

It was an IRA torture cell during the 1920s. There is a tree called a hanging tree overhead where you can see an iron chain where prisoners where strapped up and left to die.

This is what was true when I played there as a youngster anyway. We didn't like to be there when it was dark. It scared the living daylights out of me.

Perhaps it was an Ice House or something like that?

I don't know about it being a souterrain as mentioned above somewhere. There is a rath I think not too far away on the riverbank on the western side perhaps opposite the old iodine factory.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭westgolf

Twas an ice house, the rest is just stories.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭thesandeman

Silly question probably, but what's an ice house? Google just tries to sell me hotel rooms when I search.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Silly question probably, but what's an ice house? Google just tries to sell me hotel rooms when I search.

A house to store ice. Used in the pre fridge era.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_house_(building)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Underground building used to store ice for refridgeration.
    Ice would be cut from frozen lakes or rivers during winter and packed into insulated icehouses for use during the rest of the year.
    Then some bucko invented the refrigerator and the icehouse found a new use as a scary bedtime story.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭pure.conya

rabjoshu wrote: »
    around the Cathedral area - none
    Shannon dry cleaners - disused railway tunnel from Ceannt to Cllifden

really? I work there from time to time and have been down in the tunnel below the Cathedral, there's a tunnel that goes under the river to the court house and although it's blocked off it is in fact there

• Registered Users Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

pure.conya wrote: »
    really? I work there from time to time and have been down in the tunnel below the Cathedral, there's a tunnel that goes under the river to the court house and although it's blocked off it is in fact there

Where's the entrance to the tunnell?

Where's the entrance to the tunnell?

Enterance from cathedral side is from their basement complex. Tunnel goes towards Fisheries field area, not courthouse direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 remt

Have heard about tunnels underneath Galway city, and supposedly one underneath where Shannon dry cleaners was?
    https:(copy and delete me to see photo)//imgur.com/a/GWQkLoO

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭xckjoo

remt wrote: »
    Have heard about tunnels underneath Galway city, and supposedly one underneath where Shannon dry cleaners was?
    https:(copy and delete me to see photo)//imgur.com/a/GWQkLoO

The old railway lines. Some photos have been appearing on Facebook since building started on the Shannon Dry Cleaning site. Great to see. I'm not of the vintage that would have seen it before. Hopefully they integrate it into the hotel in some way.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭pure.conya

westgolf wrote: »
    Enterance from cathedral side is from their basement complex. Tunnel goes towards Fisheries field area, not courthouse direction.

ya the tunnel that's accessible now runs towards fisheries field but as you follow it there's a blocked up tunnel entrance to the right which is court house direction

ya the tunnel that's accessible now runs towards fisheries field but as you follow it there's a blocked up tunnel entrance to the right which is court house direction

Have you been down there in said tunnel ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭ChewyLouie

Fascinating. Makes sense that there could be a tunnel between the old jail and the courthouse.

How far does the tunnel continue towards Fisheries Field? I heard somewhere years ago that there was a tunnel between the Cathedral and the basement of the NUIG Quad but don't know if there was any truth in it or why it would be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭aw

Here's an article that was about St Bridget's Terrace, just off Prospect Hill.
    From the photo you can see an old shot of the starting of the tunnel, where the Dry Cleaners was. Some interesting history too.

https://www.advertiser.ie/galway/article/52861/st-bridgets-terrace-one-hundred-years-ago

• Registered Users Posts: 8,155 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Pretty sure in the Maam Trasna murder documentary that aired on TG4 last year, they said the men's bodies were still in the basement\dungeon underneath the Cathedral.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Pretty sure in the Maam Trasna murder documentary that aired on TG4 last year, they said the men's bodies were still in the basement\dungeon underneath the Cathedral.

You mean the crypt? :D
    The open that on certain days. Would be cool to see but I'm not religious so wouldn't feel right piggy backing on the event just for a gawk.

https://www.galwaycathedral.ie/events/all-souls

• Registered Users Posts: 8,087 ✭✭✭dinneenp

xckjoo wrote: »
    You mean the crypt? :D
    The open that on certain days. Would be cool to see but I'm not religious so wouldn't feel right piggy backing on the event just for a gawk.

https://www.galwaycathedral.ie/events/all-souls

Was allowed in the crypt during the Novena week. The most underwhelming thing in a long time- basically a room underground. Even my kids thought so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭ChewyLouie

Didn't the crypt get all blinged out in recent years?! Would have been interesting to see before that.

Edit:
    https://www.advertiser.ie/galway/article/91273/galway-cathedral-crypt-is-very-opulent

91273.jpg

Wompa1 wrote: »

Possibly meant the jail burial plot in the car park behind the cathedral ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,946 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

ChewyLouie wrote: »
    Didn't the crypt get all blinged out in recent years?! Would have been interesting to see before that.

Edit:
    https://www.advertiser.ie/galway/article/91273/galway-cathedral-crypt-is-very-opulent

91273.jpg

Wow, well things have changed.
    I was in here maybe 20 years ago on the day after Halloween,All Souls Day in the Church Calendar. I think it's always open to the public that day. It was very creepy. It was a pitch dark room and when my eyes finally adjusted I could make out coffins all around covered in dust , not neatly lined up. There was the hum of people saying the rosary but I couldn't make them out in the extreme dark. I was young enough to be unnerved and beat a hasty retreat. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,594 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

westgolf wrote: »
    Possibly meant the jail burial plot in the car park behind the cathedral ?

Where did people who died in jail get buried?

• Advertisement

Where did people who died in jail get buried?

In what's now the car park. There is a memorial about 2/3 of the way across the car park as you go towards nuns island.

Advertisement