Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Enda Kenny tipped to take over as President of the European council

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Can't see it happening as we're a minnow of a country. The only thing in his favour is that he would be seen has having successfully led Ireland out of the financial crisis following the EU toe the line policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Consonata

Can't see it happening as we're a minnow of a country. The only thing in his favour is that he would be seen has having successfully led Ireland out of the financial crisis following the EU toe the line policy.
    The EU source said there was "significant pressure" on the Taoiseach from the European Peoples Party (EPP) to take the job three years ago.

"If Tusk steps out of the field Kenny would be the clear favourite to take over," the source said.
    Mr Tusk's term in office comes to an end in early May - around the same time the Taoiseach is expected to step down as leader of Fine Gael.

This would seem to indicate otherwise.

How is he doing it?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Can't see it happening as we're a minnow of a country.
    Unlike that giant among nations, Belgium?

It's not like Irish people haven't held significant roles in Europe before now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Consonata

Is this a positive or negative for Ireland on the whole, as we are heading towards Brexit negotiations.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,262 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

The only thing in his favour is that he would be seen has having successfully led Ireland out of the financial crisis following the EU toe the line policy.

That in itself may be good enough to get him the job i'd say

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,405 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

I sense an 'us vs them' attitude in your post rather than a 'we're as much EU as everyone else' attitude. The last three presidents are/were Belgian, Polish, Swedish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Red Kev

The President of the Council is preferably from a smaller country so it looks like policy is being developed from the ground up rather than being dictated from one of the bigger EU countries.

That's what they want to show on the outside anyway, and in that regard somebody who offers little input or opposition like Enda Kenny would be perfect for the job.

The 'source close to Brussels ' would be a sitting or former MEP who is close to Kenny who has been told to fly a kite.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

I wonder do the EPP think a Paddy is the best choice for handling Trump. Kenny has no other redeeming features as far as I can see. They have met him, haven't they? Maybe they dig the school teacher vibe off him.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Probably impressed by the way he stared down the army that time they wanted to park a tank at every bank machine, after we all went mental after borrowing a few bob from Germany.
    Jaysus he loves telling them that story over in europe, he's an aul silver tongued raconteur if ever I saw one, is that enda.

I say if it keeps the cretinous little shít out of the country, it has to be a good thing, even if it costs a few bob!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Consonata wrote: »
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/new-job-enda-kenny-tipped-to-take-over-as-european-council-president-35502944.html

huh, so this is why he's dragging out being Taoiseach so long. He wants to make it to may for this.
    It would be nice optics for FG to announce the identity of the new party leader around Easter time, and at the same time that Enda is going off to Europe as the president of ECM. Would look like a promotion instead of an internal "heave".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Ridiculous story. It's like the ones Bertie's people used to get into the papers. They're intended to make us feel lucky to have him when he 'turns down' the big job in Brussels to stay here.....
    The EU source said there was "significant pressure" on the Taoiseach from the European Peoples Party (EPP) to take the job three years ago.

....I wonder if that's Hogan or Hayes ;)

I'd imagine the fallout from the German, French and Dutch elections will provide the next European Council President.

Not being a NATO member would essentially rule him out for the Council job. Theres a lot of security cooperation these days and a President outside NATO wouldnt be a good idea.

Advertisement