Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Flight from Dublin to Vancouver via Toronto

• 05-03-2017 1:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi all

I am flying from Dublin to Vancouver via Toronto.

Looking at the aer lingus website there seems to be two practical ways to do this, flying to Toronto with aer lingus and onwards from there to Vancouver with either air canada or westjet.

I have never done a connecting flight before and i would really appreciate hearing from anyone who has done this journey, specifically
    a/ if the 2 or 2.5 hour stopover time in Toronto would allow sufficient time to make it from one flight to another
    b/ do i have to collect my baggage from the carousel and check in again with air canada / westjet
    c/ as i am booking the full flight on the aer lingus website does that mean, in the event of a flight delay, that i will not have to pay for a missed flight
    d/ any merit in paying an extra €80 to fly air canada rather than westjet for the Toronto- Vancouver hop.

Apologies for all the questions and thank you for any information you can give me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

mrtoast wrote: »
    Hi all

Looking at the aer lingus website there seems to be two practical ways to do this, flying to Toronto with aer lingus and onwards from there to Vancouver with either air canada or westjet.

I have never done a connecting flight before and i would really appreciate hearing from anyone who has done this journey, specifically
    a/ if the 2 or 2.5 hour stopover time in Toronto would allow sufficient time to make it from one flight to another
    b/ do i have to collect my baggage from the carousel and check in again with air canada / westjet
    c/ as i am booking the full flight on the aer lingus website does that mean, in the event of a flight delay, that i will not have to pay for a missed flight
    d/ any merit in paying an extra €80 to fly air canada rather than westjet for the Toronto- Vancouver hop.

Apologies for all the questions and thank you for any information you can give me.
    if it is all one ticket then bags will go on for you automaticity. If the first leg is delayed, the airline will put you on the next available connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭circular flexing

if it is all one ticket then bags will go on for you automaticity. If the first leg is delayed, the airline will put you on the next available connection.

Actually when transiting from International to domestic Canada in Toronto, you are required to pick up your bags and check them in at the connecting baggage belt.

mrtoast wrote: »
    Hi all

Not sure when you are flying but there is a direct Dublin-Vancouver flight 3 times a week during summer season with Air Canada Rogue .

The other option is to go via Heathrow with BA or Air Canada (my preferred choice as I prefer 1 short and 1 long flight instead of 2 long-ish flights).

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Actually when transiting from International to domestic Canada in Toronto, you are required to pick up your bags and check them in at the connecting baggage belt.

I'm travelling to Vancouver in June and have two stops.

St. Johns (2 hour stopover)
    Toronto (2.5 hour stopover)

Sounds hellish doesn't it?

Anyway, I assume I have to collect and re-check my baggage in St. Johns and what not but will I have to do the same in Toronto?

That_Guy wrote: »

Anyway, I assume I have to collect and re-check my baggage in St. Johns and what not but will I have to do the same in Toronto?

I did that trip last year and it was fine. You'll re-check your bags in St Johns and then they'll be transferred for you at Toronto.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Ayrtonf7

That_Guy wrote: »

Yes it does. Whats the total journey time?

I've got a 10 hour flight to Toronto (Pearson int), with a 1 hour stop-over and then another 5 hour flight to VC. Both of the flights are with West jet. After reading this thread I'm seriously starting to doubt my ability to make the connection flight in Toronto, especially if I have to recheck in my bags.

For €280 though it was hard to say no to.

Ayrtonf7 wrote: »
    Yes it does. Whats the total journey time?

I've got a 10 hour flight to Toronto (Pearson int), with a 1 hour stop-over and then another 5 hour flight to VC. Both of the flights are with West jet. After reading this thread I'm seriously starting to doubt my ability to make the connection flight in Toronto, especially if I have to recheck in my bags.

For €280 though it was hard to say no to.

That flight stops in St Johns before Toronto. You re-check your bags in St Johns but they will be transferred at Toronto. I think our transfer at Toronto was only an hour and it was fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭jeepcj

Have a look at air canada, on wed, sat and sun they fly direct to vancouver, its so much easier. I did it last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭face1990

Keep in mind that you have to go through immigration at Toronto, which could take a while depending on queues.

Advertisement