Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*** HPAT and Medicine 2017 ***

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 BalladStar

Yeah there was a question about an American woman in Edinburgh..

I chose C I believe.. defensive and wary.. wasn't really sure however!!!

xx

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Username_17

I found section 2 much harder than usual! I was getting it done in time on the acer practice tests but missed out on nearly 10 questions for the real thing. Did anyone else find section 2 took longer than the practice exams?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 vanilla_bean

I found section 2 much harder than usual! I was getting it done in time on the acer practice tests but missed out on nearly 10 questions for the real thing. Did anyone else find section 2 took longer than the practice exams?

Section 2 was a bit more vague than the practice ACER exams I did. I found there were a few questions where there seemed to be 2 possible answers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Got55

i chose indifferent for the american woman question!! I didn't notice any aggressive behaviour! oh lads section 3 what even

• Registered Users Posts: 23 mbh008

Got55 wrote: »
    i chose indifferent for the american woman question!! I didn't notice any aggressive behaviour! oh lads section 3 what even

Me too because at the end the other woman was saying something like why would they care I'm only a stranger
    But I'm still not sure
    I hated section 2 all the options were plausible

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 InsertCoins

My first post here.

My tactic for S1 was to do the questions i felt were easier at first. when i reached the end of s1 i had not done the first age data qs, seat qs, square qs (the 31B22 b sht) and the cake part. I had like ten minutes to finish these but my mind was completely blown so i had to guess a lot of those. I only got to figure out the seat qs thoroughly. I really didnt know how to attack a lot of these... harder than im used to.

Section 2 went great. But, it was hard to finish. i had to skip 2 qs. Normally i have ten minutes before the times up!

Section 3 had a different style than im used to as well. i guess i will get 23, 26, 14 correct. What do you think thats equivalent to in terms of percentile and overall score? I have 565 points LC points

Sounds pretty similar to my experience with the test.

We can only speculate in terms of what scores we might have gotten. The number of correct answers has little to do with scores. It's based on a distribution of scores and marked based on what percentile that you're in.

I'm just pretty damn worried because section 3 is only worth half as much as the others and that section 1 could really bring down my overall score. :/

mbh008 wrote: »
    Me too because at the end the other woman was saying something like why would they care I'm only a stranger
    But I'm still not sure
    I hated section 2 all the options were plausible

Isn't that what they're going for, though? They give you a choice of possible answers and you have to determine the one that is best?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Got55

Any one else run out of time for section 1? </3

• Registered Users Posts: 24 CH1123581321

Oh yeah ha ha, like big time, I had to blindly guess a good 15+ without even reading the questions :(

Oh yeah ha ha, like big time, I had to blindly guess a good 15+ without even reading the questions :(

Try not to dwell on it. I know you're disappointed but loads of people didn't get section 1 finished and even then it was very tough. Remember, it's your percentile that matters and NOT the number of correct answers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 vanilla_bean

There's nothing we can do about it now, it's done and dusted. I'm trying to forget about until I hear from UL. It's a learning experience if nothing else :)
    Best of luck with the leaving cert!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Prisoner24601

Definitely follow up on that and try to get ACER to clarify.

Did anyone else get the question on the deaf people, in Section 1?

Did anyone else get the question on the deaf people, in Section 1?
    The one with the vowels and stuff?
    I got it, I hope it's not a trial because it was kinda nice

Yeah, that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 sunshine98

mbh008 wrote: »
    The one with the vowels and stuff?
    I got it, I hope it's not a trial because it was kinda nice

What is a trial?

We don't all get the same questions on the day. Most of the questions will be the same that every else got, but some are trial questions that only some people get. Apparently, these questions are only intended to gather statistics on how it was answered and doesn't count towards towards your final score.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 sunshine98

We don't all get the same questions on the day. Most of the questions will be the same that every else got, but some are trial questions that only some people get. Apparently, these questions are only intended to gather statistics on how it was answered and doesn't count towards towards your final score.
    Oh I didn't know that, that's interesting thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 theWildCard

Are you talking about the questions with four boxes with audio or/and video stimulus and answers to what they think they heard or saw?

Yes that one :)

• Advertisement

What percentage was everyone getting in the acer practice tests? I know the real scores are weighted, but just so I know how I compare.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 theWildCard

About 60% correct

What percentage was everyone getting in the acer practice tests? I know the real scores are weighted, but just so I know how I compare.

I did all of the ACER sample ones (not that it ended up helping much).

Using their marking scheme ((Sec1 x 2) + (Sec2 x 2) + Sec3) / 5) x 3
    and using the number of correct answers expressed as a percentage for each section as the variables, I got scores from ranging from 180-240.

It's not really much use to use these scores. The test on the day and the marking scheme was/are completely different.

I did all of the ACER sample ones (not that it ended up helping much).

Using their marking scheme ((Sec1 x 2) + (Sec2 x 2) + Sec3) / 5) x 3
    and using the number of correct answers expressed as a percentage for each section as the variables, I got scores from ranging from 180-240.

It's not really much use to use these scores. The test on the day and the marking scheme was/are completely different.

Ok, thanks. I just wanted to know how others found them. Using the same grading method I got between 210 and 240.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 harich56

Found Section 1 tricky at places but overall not as bad as expected. Guessed about 6/7 questions completely as I ran out of time.

Section 2 definitely contained some wordy passages with few questions which put us all under considerable time pressure, I'm sure. I personally just managed to finish it in time (Invigilator called time while I was on last question).

Section 3 overall I found very tough. A lot of patterns in the next in sequence questions were very difficult, next in sequence questions are usually my strong point. I found a lot of patterns in the pick the middle to be moving 1, then 2, then 3 then 4 spaces. If i was really stuck at a question I looked at the answers for said questions and looked to see which answers were mostly matching and then straight up guessed. I don't know how well this technique will work ha ha..

Anyone remember what they said for the Section 1 question about how many shaded boxes would be in a grid around a table with 5 people rather than 6? I'm pretty sure i went with 4/10 as picking 5/10 seemed the obvious answer and the HPAT questions never seem to be the obvious answer lol.

harich56 wrote: »
    Found Section 1 tricky at places but overall not as bad as expected. Guessed about 6/7 questions completely as I ran out of time.

Section 2 definitely contained some wordy passages with few questions which put us all under considerable time pressure, I'm sure. I personally just managed to finish it in time (Invigilator called time while I was on last question).

Section 3 overall I found very tough. A lot of patterns in the next in sequence questions were very difficult, next in sequence questions are usually my strong point. I found a lot of patterns in the pick the middle to be moving 1, then 2, then 3 then 4 spaces. If i was really stuck at a question I looked at the answers for said questions and looked to see which answers were mostly matching and then straight up guessed. I don't know how well this technique will work ha ha..

Anyone remember what they said for the Section 1 question about how many shaded boxes would be in a grid around a table with 5 people rather than 6? I'm pretty sure i went with 4/10 as picking 5/10 seemed the obvious answer and the HPAT questions never seem to be the obvious answer lol.

Pretty sure it was 5/10. With one less person, the number of boxes in the grid drops by 1/3. So 5 shaded out of a total of 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 em0192

harich56 wrote: »

I said 4/10 because it was 6/15 boxes which works out at two fifths (2/5) which is also 4/10 ?? It made sense to me at the time 😂 And yeah I agree that 5/10 seemed too obvious that's why I didn't choose it

Pretty sure it was 5/10. With one less person, the number of boxes in the grid drops by 1/3. So 5 shaded out of a total of 10.

If the boxes were dropping by 1/3 then wouldn't that mean the number of shaded boxes would also drop by a third ? And that would be 4/10 aswell? I don't know if any of my reasoning even makes sense lol

I've attached a pretty crappy representation of it. Hope it helps and is error free.

That's actually a really good representation of it thanks !!

• Advertisement

em0192 wrote: »
    That's actually a really good representation of it thanks !!

Cheers. I think you replied before I edited my post, but yeah don't fret. I'm sure you'll be fine. It's only one question. :)

Advertisement