Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Riverdale [The CW] ***Spoilers***

• 27-01-2017 10:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭

Really enjoyed the pilot episode - a lot of set up, but there's definitely loads of potential.

I'm not really familiar with the Archie series (although I've heard many many references to a lot of the characters in other shows and films over the years), so I'm sure plenty of references went over my head in the pilot, but I loved the timeless feel to the town itself.

It's essentially everything the advertisements have been claiming it to be Twin Peaks meets Gossip Girl/The OC with characters that have been around for 80 years in comic book form.

Lili Reinhart as Betty is easily the standout cast member and character for me at the moment, just judging from that first 45 minutes, and then obviously with the likes of Madchen Amick and Luke Perry in there, the performances from the older cast members are gonna be solid.

Overall I liked it and will be tuning in for episode 2 again next week.

As an FYI, Netflix UK & Ireland are uploading the episodes weekly as they go out.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,791 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

They weren't kidding when they said it was like Twin Peaks meets Gossip Girl meets Dawson's Creek. Archie having a best friend and not noticing her but instead wanting the new girl. Though he's also the Pacey part as well with the teacher.
    Half expected a phone call at the beginning saying "He's dead. Wrapped in plastic"

Haven't read Archie, but always looked to be like it'd be pretty boring and a nice American small town.

I think it's going to be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭Lirange

Aware of, but never really read the comics. Having said that I've always admired the look and quaint iconography

And I think most people are familiar with this character from the Archie comics.

Saw the pilot. It wasn't too bad. The main leads were all, if not interesting yet, at least not annoying. Cheryl, probably the obvious main suspect, is a bit of a caricature though (for now). Going to temper my expectations on the writing given the network. It may have some potential with the direction they're taking it.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,279 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I have to say I enjoyed that.

So the all important question that I believe has plagued Archie and his fans over the year: Betty or Veronica? :D

CastorTroy wrote: »
    So the all important question that I believe has plagued Archie and his fans over the year: Betty or Veronica? :D

gctnharchie.jpg

• Advertisement

Should have just moved to Utah for a bit of polygamy.

And we saw that Veronica likes Betty. Dunno what Cheryl was on about people not wanting to see it

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭gryfothegreat

Watched this mostly to hate watch it (and also because I used to read Archie comics when I was younger because they were all available free online) but here I am three hours later wishing I had more episodes...

I really like the look of it - the bright colours give it that unrealistic comic book feel (which other CW comics shows unfortunately lack) and the lighting in particular feels very Daredevil-ish. The writing is clunky (everything Cheryl said made me snort) but in future with less exposition to do it might improve.

The actors are decent and are willing to emote which is usually a problem with the pretty ones, and this crop are. I'm very excited for Cole Sprouse - Suite Life was a great show back in the day. Also of note is that the guy playing Archie is 19 - my age. If that's what 19 is supposed to look like I've gone very wrong somewhere along the line. This also means that he was 18 when he filmed the Ms Grundy scenes, which really does not sit well with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭764dak

Why doesn't Archie and Jughead hang out more?

764dak wrote: »
    Why doesn't Archie and Jughead hang out more?
    Yay, they're friends again.

• Advertisement

So Cheryl and Jason planned on him hiding to get some sort of publicity, but he got taken and killed.
    Though if he wasn't killed til a week later, which gunshot did Archie and hot teacher hear?

Probably wasn't the best idea to put the only redhead player in the exact same number.
    And how nice of Veronica to spend all that money on gifts for Betty while her mom has to get a job at Pop's.

Wow Betty. Neurotic much? :P

She's got it all bottled up. When it finally uncorks take cover! My inner armchair psychologist wonders if she might have borderline personality disorder.

Liked that we got more of Jughead. He's the most relatable male character. Archie is swell we all know but being the jammy bastard in the centre of such a triangle is sadly a non-starter for the likes of me so. Oh not to mention shackin up with teacher. Right then. Though I do like Archie's relationship with his Dad. Have no damn clues or theories as to who shot Cheryl's brother though I doubt it will be a main character.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,588 ✭✭✭LLMMLL

I want.to like this show as I do like teen dramas and I like a good mystery but this is very weak. Seems to have absolutely nothing to do with the comics (not that that bothers me I've never read them).

I don't like it's fake daringness especially with the gay best friend cliche character.

Melody should have been super hot like in the comics.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Although it's very much a Teen Drama By The Numbers, three episodes in and I'm very invested in these characters and want to see Riverdale get a second season announcement ASAP. It's got that feeling of being both familiar and fresh at the same time, but mostly the reason I'm enjoying it is interesting characters - at the moment Betty, Veronica and Jughead are the MVPs for me.

Yeah, um, wow. I'm off for a cold shower....

Was a good episode. Jughead does like teasing the whole "It was just the beginning of their problems" type line.

And Barb lives!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,588 ✭✭✭LLMMLL

Found it very meh again this week. Characters are cartoonish. Even more than usual for a teen drama. So the ridiculously nasty jock is going to turn down a chance to date/go further with a stunning girl just so he can humiliate her? Betty decides to revive the school paper and get jughead to be some kind of investigative reporter because she heard he was writing a book? It's all fairly lazy. And there gay character is an incredible chore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

This is my new favourite show.

I despise Alice Cooper.  She went through all of that to paint Archie as bad.  Hiram and Hermione seem so sinister.  Jughead has a messed up life.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Holy Plot Twist Batman! Did not see that one coming. Also it took me far too long to recognise Skeet Ulrich - don't think I've seen him in anything since Jericho.

• Advertisement

Even when it all came out at the end of the episode that Archie was sleeping with the music teacher Archie still called her Miss Grundy when she was leaving the room.

I think myself if you have been sleeping with someone for a few months you can call them by their first name.

Maybe it was part of the thrill for him.

A great idea would be to not write anything incriminating in a diary.

Don't think I would recognise Skeet Ulrich if his name wasn't in the credits.

Had to laugh at the fact the sheriff would prefer his son to go with a gay kid instead of the hot girl.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

CastorTroy wrote:
    Had to laugh at the fact the sheriff would prefer his son to go with a gay kid instead of the hot girl.

But his son's gay ...

Have to say I'm intrigued by the mystery but getting really tired of the melodrama and bitchiness of it all that could all be solved by characters actually having a conversation. Never liked the contrived drama for drama's sake style of writing.

I know he's gay. Was more at the fact that his dad is so openly accepting that fact as opposed to trying to convince him he isn't, as is known to happen in small towns on some shows.

Did anyone think to ask Ms Grundy how she got a job at the school with no history? If I was a parent, that would probably concern me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

CastorTroy wrote:
    I know he's gay. Was more at the fact that his dad is so openly accepting that fact as opposed to trying to convince him he isn't, as is known to happen in small towns on some shows.

I think this may have been the angle a few years ago, I think it's nice to see a parent of gay character be accepting and even encouraging of their sons sexuality. On the other hand I'm disappointed that they're going to go down the forbidden love angle with the biker kid.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Gabba Gabba Hey

Great show. Hooked since episode one.

Really like those sinister undertones in the seemingly wholesome little town.

I wonder if Ms. Grundy (or Jennifer) will come back into...

Perhaps she lured Archie to the woods as an alibi...

Betty looks so much like Melissa Benoist as Kara in Supergirl all she is missing is glasses.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,925 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I didn't realise there was a thread for this show, I've been watching since the pilot.

I'm still not 100% sure how I feel about it, to be honest.

I don't think you can take it too seriously, it reminds me a little of Moody's Point, the fake teen soap opera they used to have on Amanda Bynes' show on Nickelodeon. (youtube it, it's great)

The Jason Blossom story is interesting enough but I find myself getting bored when the focus switches to Archie and his music/football.

I was full sure Cheryl and Jason were twincesting but the last episode makes it seem like nope, she's just super lonely and Jason was the only one who was nice to her. As Trump would say, SAD!

At the moment I'm treating this like a guilty pleasure show. It's cheesy and at times completely stupid/ridiculous but I still look forward to each new episode.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,925 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Betty looks so much like Melissa Benoist as Kara in Supergirl all she is missing is glasses.

I thought her more like a young Romola Garai, especially around the mouth.

She's definitely the standout as far as the younger cast go though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭RockSalto

It's totally cheesy and we've seen these kinds of characters before, but I find it fun and I enjoy a mystery.

I thought that was a very good episode. It moves fast too. I feel everything that happened in that episode would've happened over a couple of episodes in some others shows.

Advertisement