Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

PSNI Recruitment 2017

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Homer01

takodah wrote: »
    Surely you can transfer after the three years to a station ?

The Harbour Police and Airport Police are private entities and not connected to the PSNI.

The only way to move would be to apply in the same way we do now. PSNI rarely take transfers at constable level. It would be like transferring from working at Tesco to working at ASDA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭takodah

Homer01 wrote: »

The Harbour Police and Airport Police are private entities and not connected to the PSNI.

The only way to move would be to apply in the same way we do now. PSNI rarely take transfers at constable level. It would be like transferring from working at Tesco to working at ASDA.

Thanks! Love The analogy ha ha

Homer01 wrote: »

Thanks! Love The analogy ha ha

• Registered Users Posts: 9 SN.Nibs

I was wondering the same thing, so I emailed them to find out. So hopefully shall get an answer soon. Just on the off chance, however they train in garverville also so it's a possibility. We shall see.

This is the email I got back from a girl called Ciara in BHP recruitment.

Many thanks for your email and interest in Belfast Harbour Police.

In relation to your queries if you wished to go into another area of policing this would be an issue to be raised with the PSNI, or any other Police Service that you may wish to apply for.

So was of no use a really at all. Lol

• Advertisement

This is the email I got back from a girl called Ciara in BHP recruitment.

Many thanks for your email and interest in Belfast Harbour Police.

In relation to your queries if you wished to go into another area of policing this would be an issue to be raised with the PSNI, or any other Police Service that you may wish to apply for.

So was of no use a really at all. Lol

Thanks for this sn.nibs. On another note do you think the allegations against a trainer at GV will set us back another few months? Until it is cleared up that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭blueboat

I wouldn't imagine so. Recruitment is expensive. No more delays afforded. Contingency plans should be put in place if only one officer is being investigated.

My friend has recently left garnaville and she messaged me the other day to see if I was still interested in applying, she said recruitment is most likely to be start of May So a while yet. Wish they wouldn't drag it out so much. 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭air assault

Does anyone know when the next requirement campaign this year is ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Homer01

Nothing has been confirmed but looking like April or May.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭hopeful2017

I hope the 64-66 brackets get a call in April to save me applying again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Goonerdee

A little birdy told me that they are looking to recruit over 1000new starts over the next three years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭Banterbus28

I heard the same thing Goonerdee :) bring it on

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Foxy4970

Deleted. Posted in error.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 M Ehrmantraut

Hi!

I've always been here for my friend keeping an eye on what's happening to keep him in the loop haha but from being here over the past two or so years has made me really like the job and now I'm thinking of applying. I'm quite a "soft" person though and not sure if I would be suited to the job because of that, like sad cases would affect me a lot, plus I'm pretty tiny in stature and not sure if people would take me seriously. Are there any other people who would be more on the sensitive side?

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Pottergirl16

I believe theres a place for all types of people. Each can offer something different. In terms of being affected by sad cases, i think that everyone will be impacted to some extent. We are all only human. In saying that its how you would deal with it. If you found it hard to cope it may negatively impact your life outside the job. Also im very small and am hoping it wont matter too much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭majgreen

Hi!

I've always been here for my friend keeping an eye on what's happening to keep him in the loop haha but from being here over the past two or so years has made me really like the job and now I'm thinking of applying. I'm quite a "soft" person though and not sure if I would be suited to the job because of that, like sad cases would affect me a lot, plus I'm pretty tiny in stature and not sure if people would take me seriously. Are there any other people who would be more on the sensitive side?

We are all affected by the things we deal with and see. You learn how to deal with them your own way. There's nothing wrong with being sensitive either, you may actually find it helps you to engage with victims if you're showing empathy. There will be times where you need to be stern but you will learn when that is and will have no trouble with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Tackleberry1

As above... People will open up more to someone like yourself than a big shaved headed muscled man. Everyone has a place in the police. It's a community service at the end of the day, they need the "soft" as you put it as much as they need the "hard". Were all here to help no matter what people choose to believe.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Goonerdee

Hi!

I would say I am a bit sensitive and soft. It has worried me that if I was successful in getting through I would then not be tough enough. I don't want to become hardened, I want to keep caring.

I honestly don't think it will be a hinderence to have a softer side.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 M Ehrmantraut

Thanks for this everybody :) I may just apply!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 redsox101

Had an account on here since I last applied for the PSNI in both 2009/ 2010 but never posted anything. I Hadn't put in for any of the other recruitment drives after that due to working out of NI at the time

Definitely going to be applying this year, and also recently put in for the Harbour Police.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Razor3677

redsox101 wrote: »
    Had an account on here since I last applied for the PSNI in both 2009/ 2010 but never posted anything. I Hadn't put in for any of the other recruitment drives after that due to working out of NI at the time

Definitely going to be applying this year, and also recently put in for the Harbour Police.
    Good luck, glad to have you back. Not too long now until the new campaign commences

Been on here for a while and have always hoped someone would ask this so I didn't need too but...
    As a male accessing counselling to talk about the stress of the job or talk about things that may have affected you (PTSD) are a taboo.
    Do officers openly access the service or is it something you just have to deal with sitting at home. Any takers?

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭majgreen

Been on here for a while and have always hoped someone would ask this so I didn't need too but...
    As a male accessing counselling to talk about the stress of the job or talk about things that may have affected you (PTSD) are a taboo.
    Do officers openly access the service or is it something you just have to deal with sitting at home. Any takers?

Thanks.

There are mechanisms in place to help people through tough times. Naturally the type of job we do, the threat, the stress, the demand and the sometimes pretty crappy hours all take their toll. By no means is anyone left to deal with things alone, the only ones that are are the ones who haven't asked for the help yet.

majgreen wrote: »

Thanks.

There are mechanisms in place to help people through tough times. Naturally the type of job we do, the threat, the stress, the demand and the sometimes pretty crappy hours all take their toll. By no means is anyone left to deal with things alone, the only ones that are are the ones who haven't asked for the help yet.

Thanks majgreen.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Mike079

Anyone got advice for a young guy only turned 20 applying this May? Sometimes I feel I am way in over my head going into this career at this age and kind of toying with my mind a lot. Not quite sure what to expect from the recruitment process if I am honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 SB430

Mike079 wrote: »
    Anyone got advice for a young guy only turned 20 applying this May? Sometimes I feel I am way in over my head going into this career at this age and kind of toying with my mind a lot. Not quite sure what to expect from the recruitment process if I am honest.

At the start of this thread that's been talked about a bit...I applied when I was 19 and I'm now waiting on the call and can't wait!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 Mike079

Great stuff man, gives me plenty of hope for myself, hopefully the process doesn't drag out too long!

Advertisement