Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Greenstar takeover by Panda

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

If I understand correctly, we will still have two waste operators - PandaGreen and "Greyhound".

I get the feeling ryanduffy wasn't far off the mark. PandaGreen will end up buying back greyhound customers in a year or so when it's deemed by greyhounds new owners to be uneconomical.

How would they buy them back exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 ryanduffycountydublin1975

If I understand correctly, we will still have two waste operators - PandaGreen and "Greyhound".

I get the feeling ryanduffy wasn't far off the mark. PandaGreen will end up buying back greyhound customers in a year or so when it's deemed by greyhounds new owners to be uneconomical.

Spot on, the only thing I got slightly wrong was the buyer of the Fingal & Dun Laoghaire Rathdown Customer base, it being Greyhound, instead of Thorntons and even that is not finalised yet.

Lux23 wrote: »
    How would they buy them back exactly?

In a year's time, Greyhound will announce that it is no longer economically viable to service the customer base in Fingal & Dun Laoghaire- Rathdown which mean they will effectively pull out of the area, leaving a single operator i.e. Panda.

Disgraceful and toothless decision by the CCPC and demonstrate the lack of understanding the waste cartel

The whole thing stinks

guil wrote: »
    That's a pretty big claim there.

Don't want to say I told you so, the only change being Greyhound over Thorntons and I predicted this months ago

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

And today I received my notification that as of 31 December 2016 Greenstar will no longer service my area and that Greyhound will take over unless I contact Greenstar forthwith to stop an automatic transfer of my account including bank details.

To give a customer a little over 2 weeks over the x-mas period to sort out a different provider (as if there is anything beside Panda in my region) if one does not want Greyhound is a joke.

At least they guarantee the same price/charging method until the 1st of July 2017 and no charge for bin collections between 2 and 14 January 2017.

They also attached account/pin code for greyhound a payment card.

Now they say that I have 21 days to tell them that I don't want them to move my data, but that is I don't do anything before 31 December they move me at 1st, which is mathematically impossible, there are not 21 days left until than.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 Colm_hand

Hi,

I'm a Greenstar Waste customer in Dun Laoghaire Rathdown and I received a letter to say they are stopping waste collection services in the area. They offered to transfer our account to Greyhound waste which I don't want them to do.

I rang Panda Waste to sign up as they are the only other bin provider in the area (other than soon to be Greyhound) and I was informed they are not accepting new customers.

If Panda Waste aren't accepting new customers we are left with no competition in the area and if I dont move to Greyhound I'm left with no bin provider.

Has anyone else had any luck moving to Panda since the letters came out?

Cheers,

Colm

Nope same here in my Area of Swords Panda has no capacity available so I have to move to Greyhound.

When I asked Greyhound for a quote (so that I can see what I have to pay once the price freeze is over) I got told that they don't serve my area and have no plans to serve my area. I questioned that because obviously they are going to be active as of 1 January, but nope, no service.

The CCPC once again has shown to be one of those organizations that does not have a clue in the process of this.

At least you are safe with the price guarantee until end of June, even if looking at Greyhounds reputation and history in my area it might mean no bin collections when scheduled, having to prepay, rather than direct debit and wrong bills etc.

Thank you CCPC for ignoring valid submission and making a mess out of it again.

Okay so far the experience with Greyhound has been great and the transition easy.

I still got a bill from Greenstar compromising the lifts last quarter and the advance service charge for this quarter.

There is no change in billing process (no need to prepay, remains service charge per quarter in advance and lifts with a bill every 3 month), no changes in price (until July) and even my direct debit will be transferred.

The collections happen between 0600 and 0800 every time so far and instead of leaving the bins on the street like Greenstar they are always put onto the walkway direct to the wall. And that on the whole street, not just me.

The online account took a while to come alive and still does not show all lifts, but I assume that are initial trouble.

A question to customer service via e-mail was answered within 48 hours.

So far this is smoother than I expected it to be, could have been communicated better that nothing really changes until July.

WARNING, if you were a direct debit customer with Greenstar and were transferred to Panda, check you account balance.

In my case I noticed that no direct debit had been taken and when queried I was told that Greenstar did not transfer the bank details as planed so my bill was overdue.

I suggest to check if your direct debit was taken and if not to contact them for alternative arrangements, you can also pay online via credit card.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Sapele

In DLR Greyhound are now offering a flat upfront fee of 250 per year, no weight charges, for a forthnightly collection of bins. You can get 2 of their smaller brown bins for that price too. So a lot of DLR customers could make savings. If news articles are to be believed the average take per household by panda in DLR is 430 annually. So a lot of households paying over that obviously.

Are flat rate price plans soon to be phased out?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ Dalary Dry Physics

Does anyone know the status of the sale of Greenstars Fingal and DLR areas? Nothing in the news and the CCPC approved the acquisition of Greenstar by PandaGreen in Aug 2016.

On a separate note - I had a lovely letter in the post recently that my black bin was over regularly over 40kgs and I would be charged for anything over 40kgs. Presume a lot of customers received the same letter? No way to check your bin weight history (unless you call them) and no way to weigh your bin before putting it out to be collected. They want me to put out my bins half full. sigh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭van_beano

On a separate note - I had a lovely letter in the post recently that my black bin was over regularly over 40kgs and I would be charged for anything over 40kgs. Presume a lot of customers received the same letter? No way to check your bin weight history (unless you call them) and no way to weigh your bin before putting it out to be collected. They want me to put out my bins half full. sigh.

That's the way it's been for me for ages with Thorntons. I do leave it as long as possible though to put it out. Cheaper to put out a 60kg bin once a month for €13.90 (€9.90 + (20kg x .20c)) as opposed to 2 x 30 kg lifts for €19.80.

Off topic, should the landfill levy be scraped now if everything's getting incinerated?

Advertisement