Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New Civic

Options
  • 13-02-2017 1:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭

Anybody else considering the new civic? I have never owned one but I'm aware of Honda's build quality. 1 litre or 1.5 litre turbo pertrol only options available when they go on sale in march.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭aidanki

any hybrid in the mix ?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,113 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Cannot take to the exterior styling myself, just looks like over styled for the sake of it imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭sozbox

Yes, hoping to make time for a test drive soon.

Would the 1.0 feel under powered compared to the current 1.4?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

sozbox wrote: »

Definitely not in YouTube reviews. Both petrol engines are turbo.

A diesel 1.6 will be released later this year.

I like the look of it I have to say.

What's the standard warranty period for Honda?

• Advertisement

What's the standard warranty period for Honda?

From their website:
    http://www.honda.ie/web/Hondacare

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

The 1.5 would be the one to go for. It's 4 cylinder as oppose to the 1 liter which is 3 cylinder.

The car itself is a big upgrade from the previous generation. It's got a much better interior and it's got proper fully independent rear suspension.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭galvo_clare

I've driven both and I loved the 1.0 litre for its engine note and performance.
    The 1.5 is a good bit stronger but the engine noise is quite dull by comparison.
    If you're thinking CVT auto, go for the 1.5 as it works much better with the bigger engine.
    Nice car, good chassis and ride and much improved interior.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bbari

will there be a saloon version of the new civic or it will be just hatchback like they did in the past 5 years ?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

bbari wrote: »
    will there be a saloon version of the new civic or it will be just hatchback like they did in the past 15 years ?

They offered saloon version all the way through last 15 years.
    Not too popular in Europe though.
    And yes - 10th generation will be also available in saloon.

• Advertisement

CiniO wrote:
    They offered saloon version all the way through last 15 years. Not too popular in Europe though. And yes - 10th generation will be also available in saloon.

Really? I don't remember seeing one civic saloon on the Irish roads since the 06 to 10 model.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

Really? I don't remember seeing one civic saloon on the Irish roads since the 06 to 10 model.
    https://www.google.ie/search?q=honda+civic+saloon+2008&biw=1920&bih=971&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj046aq6JXSAhUMJcAKHemVBVEQ_AUIBigB#imgrc=HgklV7YxHn-SEM:

if you look harder theres plenty of them around,just isn't smth you'd look twice at.front looks nice a bit hybrid like,but back is imo nothing but blunt.

I agree there are plenty of saloons in this model but not since the post 2006 to 2010 model?

Saloon is available in the US but not sure if they will bring it to Europe as sales of saloons in that segment are very small. The last Civic saloon sold in Europe was the 8th generation and that was discontinued in 2010. While the 9th generation European model was really a reworked 8th generation they never bothered replacing the saloon. Bigger Accord was dropped in Europe too.

I wouldn't hold my breath on them bringing the 10th generation saloon to Europe despite its lines looking more proportional than the hatchback imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

I agree there are plenty of saloons in this model but not since the post 2006 to 2010 model?

Indeed that seems to be the case.

Plenty of saloons of 8th generation (2006-2011) but none in 9th generation (from 2012) on donedeal and the likes.
    Looks like none in UK as well.

Maybe they didn't do them in RHD option, as there's good few on the Continent.
    example: https://www.otomoto.pl/osobowe/honda/civic/-/-/sedan/?search%5Bfilter_float_year%3Afrom%5D=2012&search%5Bcountry%5D=

CiniO wrote:
    Plenty of saloons of 8th generation (2006-2011) but none in 9th generation (from 2012) on donedeal and the likes. Looks like none in UK as well.

That's right, no saloon in the 9th generation here/UK but i have seen plenty of em in the Middle East and in Asia.

who_ru wrote: »
    Anybody else considering the new civic? I have never owned one but I'm aware of Honda's build quality. 1 litre or 1.5 litre turbo pertrol only options available when they go on sale in march.

Bought the 1.0L today, delivery in 4ish weeks.

It was great to drive, a lot more power than I expected and very comfortable. Went for the Smart Plus option on PCP.

sozbox wrote:
    Bought the 1.0L today, delivery in 4ish weeks.

Many congrats and the best wishes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

well was going to say it look sa bit like performance toy car,but seeing if engine can put out over 120bhp on 1l and if price as advertised 23k seems not bad,only my thinking due to styling its seems targeted more at 20-30yrs age bracket.

also these new generation engines do not inspire much confidence 1l engine with turbot and combined with cars weight seems like future issue due to stress on engine,but if it remains honda quality like previous models,then well worth the price,thus not bashing the car,since looks better then last generation,which was quite blank in comparison.

I have a 06 civic now and it's bullet proof so I'm expecting the same level of reliability with the new model.

It's defo aimed at a younger audience with the styling and you'll either love it or hate it looks wise.

It does look better in the flesh compared to pictures though. I went for red but it looks great in white too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Are the new models available to drive now?

Fitzpatrick's in Kildare are claiming to have it in stock but it could be one of the lhd models doing the dealer rounds.

Actually this dealer has a rhd model:
    http://www.driving.ie/used-cars/Honda/Civic/Smart-Plus/111315623044706943/

I still cannot warm to the looks.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Are the new models available to drive now?

Yup drove one today, they became available yesterday according to the two dealerships I went to.

Do they have them in Sheils in Limerick do you know?

No idea, I was in Cork today. But I assume all dealers would get a demo car around the same time.

Worth calling around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Yes. Have a blue and a red 1L...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,448 ✭✭✭micks_address

Yep, we might see a civic tourer next year but again unsure..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Technique

Yep, we might see a civic tourer next year but again unsure..

A blue one passed me this morning in Derry. Very aggressively styled from behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

it cannot get any more under-powered than the current (9th gen) 1.4, it's woefully weak on acceleration.

• Advertisement

The current 1.4 is a dead duck. The 1.0 turbo would be in a totally different league. More bhp and more torque.

Advertisement