Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ski Gloves for Elderly with Cold Hands

Options
  • 12-02-2017 10:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭

Would ski gloves keep your hands warm on cold days!

I've tried tinsulate gloves, and even cycling gloves after reading up on the cycling forum but none are any good.

Would it be worth taking a chance with Aldi's ski gloves, I keep wasting money but get no joy.

Are they worth a punt in my situation.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭fmlarnapairce

mittens with undergloves also, and spend the cash on them for good quality

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

There are some heated ski gloves as well, though they are expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭hawkwind23

The Aldi ones wont cut it if your having really cold hands.
    You going to have to spend money but if it cures the cold hands see it as an investment.
    Probably as Rew said the heated gloves would be the best in class but with a price tag
    From this link youll find other brands etc

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Womens-Outdoor-Clothing/Therm-1300-Power-Gloves-Hands-Black-black/B0088X4N7C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1486983410&sr=8-1&keywords=therm+ic+heated+gloves

OH can get cold hands and finds thinsulate gloves and good mittens are a cheap alternative :)

If chronic and always cold hands maybe look into http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Raynauds-phenomenon/Pages/Introduction.aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭d2ww

I've just come back from a week using Lidl/Aldi ski gloves and they were grand.
    Minus 6 to minus 10 at times and I was more aware of cold toes than fingers.
    Some people use the thin running gloves inside the ski gloves for added warmth. There are battery heated ones, but you are looking at €250 and up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

d2ww wrote: »
    I've just come back from a week using Lidl/Aldi ski gloves and they were grand.

WHERE'S FATTES, he needs to read that!! :D

OP - as already suggested, try mittens, gloves can restrict circulation, in that if you're wearing mittens your fingers can move freely, but in gloves they're slightly less capable of that movement. I always wear mittens in my winter trip, and gloves in my spring trip.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭d2ww

cormee wrote: »
    WHERE'S FATTES, he needs to read that!! :D

OP - as already suggested, try mittens, gloves can restrict circulation, in that if you're wearing mittens your fingers can move freely, but in gloves they're slightly less capable of that movement. I always wear mittens in my winter trip, and gloves in my spring trip.

In fairness, I ski one week a year, not the months at a time that he does!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

No, he was saying the gear from those shops was unsuitable for kids learning to ski on a one week holiday. But enough about him...

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭fmlarnapairce

If was bringing an elderly parent/grandparent on a skiing holiday i'd make sure they were comfortable, and therefore would spend the extra cash to be sure their hands were as warm as possible (maybe not 250 euro sure...).

aldi gloves grand for healthy adult with good circulation, older person with poor circulation, might not be so good.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

FYI The OP is not going skiing they are just asking about ski gloves

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

My hands get cold in the winter time but otherwise they are ok.

Some great suggestions there thanks lads. I was wondering about mittens v gloves, so might get a pair of ski mits and could also put my cycling gloves inside them if necessary.

I'll do a bit of experimenting with doubling up as I have 4 pairs of gloves
    here.

• Advertisement
Advertisement