Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Starting in Garnerville soon? Read this:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Nerves2016

There are still room inspections and uniform parades still happen too....the list is still very much relevant

Take a good steam iron.....

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Pottergirl16

I think you get a list at induction. Theres alot needs got however an iron isnt one of them anymore from what ive heard. They supply the iron. Lots of stationary, cleaning products, bedding, toiletries, black gym wear, boot cleaning brushes and polish, and few other random bits.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Homer01

Nerves2016 wrote: »
    There are still room inspections and uniform parades still happen too....the list is still very much relevant

Take a good steam iron.....

I'm obviously not in but would tend to agree with you Nerves.

Plus I think I'd rather have my quality steam iron than the communal one :)

MIght be useful if our recent recruits reported back with a additions or subtractions after a few months. Maybe get Shield to update the front page.

Another thing on the shopping list.. though cant imagine the one in the house will get much use with me not being home anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭Legally clueless

PE kit- for the top and bottoms can they have a small logo on them like the under armour or asics logo? Finding it hard to get plain black with no branding on them

• Advertisement

PE kit- for the top and bottoms can they have a small logo on them like the under armour or asics logo? Finding it hard to get plain black with no branding on them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭majgreen

Yes, no problems with small logos :)

majgreen wrote: »
    Yes, no problems with small logos :)

Perfect thanks maj.

This also may be a silly question. What's the gym facilities like in gv? Basic or abundant

• Advertisement

This also may be a silly question. What's the gym facilities like in gv? Basic or abundant

I'm sure maj can answer better than me but others have said in the past the gym in GV is pretty good. Same goes for most stations.

The gym in GV is fantastic. Two separate rooms, one more aimed at Cardio and a bit of free weights, the other more to do with lifting etc. You also have the gym hall and trim trail too. Gyms vary out at station, mine isn't fantastic but has all you need!

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Clanman889

Just wondering about kitting myself out with ample gear for PT and gym sessions. All black with minimal logos. Unfortunately no shorts, trackies only it would seem. I'm thinking a few pairs of cheap black trackies and tops from sports direct or Decathlon. Seem the best or what you folks think?

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭WannabePC123

Are you not allowed black leggings? Just trackies?

I believe leggings are ok.. at least i hope so..

Leggings are fine. As are shorts. No one wants to wear trackie bottoms when it's hot outside! Bring both shorts and long bottoms

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Clanman889

That's a relief because the info specifically states no shorts due to the risk of injury. I was a little bemused by this though, thinking who in their right mind does full strength and conditioning sessions in baggy tracksuit bottoms. Glad to hear common sense will likely prevail. Just a shame about the ol' genetically stunted calf's lol

Clanman889 wrote: »
    That's a relief because the info specifically states no shorts due to the risk of injury. I was a little bemused by this though, thinking who in their right mind does full strength and conditioning sessions in baggy tracksuit bottoms. Glad to hear common sense will likely prevail. Just a shame about the ol' genetically stunted calf's lol

Now if you get backsquadded because you graze your knee in non standard shorts don't come crying to us lol

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Nerves2016

Small cheap casio watch with digital face is worth buying (£10 max)..think decathlon even do cheaper ones....great for record keeping and worth every penny

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Lynxbro

Hey does anybody know if u moving up from roi do we need to get our national insurance number ourselves via contacting the relevant application offices? Or does anybody know what you are supposed to do?
    Thanks in advance.

• Advertisement

Lynxbro wrote: »
    Hey does anybody know if u moving up from roi do we need to get our national insurance number ourselves via contacting the relevant application offices? Or does anybody know what you are supposed to do?
    Thanks in advance.
    Think you need to do it yourself. It is all in the welcome pack I think - I didn't really read it as I have one but I'm sure that's what it said.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Tackleberry1

Folks I've a few questions about induction weekend. Would be great if anyone could help.

Are there any items we should bring with us? Like a note pad etc?

I'm assuming its a suit and tie affair and no need to bring training gear?

How do we notify them if we would like to complete the 4 week residential or not and if we then decide we would rather stay at home are we allowed to leave?

How are we designated a room mate?

Is it still 2 per room?

I'm assuming same sex rooms?

Is induction weekend still over 2 days?

What if your room mate farts a lot? (asking for a friend) lol

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Lynxbro

Note pad and pen is useful for the day that's in it for few notes .

Yes business attire so suit up.

Yes you get a room for the first week, after the week you must apply for further residental room or you get given a locker if you choose to leave.

Yes it is 2 per room

Yes male and female are separated for accommodation.

Induction day for us was one full day. Although nothing to say it could revert back depending on how they feel it went etc.

Definitely want a notebook and pen as your working life will be dependent on them from then onwards :D

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Tackleberry1

Cheers folks, can't wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭jordansp21

Does anyone know how many overnights we have to do if any? or if there is any compulsory residential?

jordansp21 wrote: »
    Does anyone know how many overnights we have to do if any? or if there is any compulsory residential?

Residential is no longer compulsory so no overnights required.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭jordansp21

Homer01 wrote: »
    jordansp21 wrote: »

Residential is no longer compulsory so no overnights required.
    Thanks Homer!

• Registered Users Posts: 49 FiremanGareth

When we get given out kit in GV on the first day does this include our ballistic vest and stab vest? And all the other kit?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 FiremanGareth

And also do guys have to be clean shaven everyday? Or is a little stubble okay?

Advertisement