Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mocks 2017 ***No Requests, use the Search button! READ FIRST POST before posting!***

• 12-01-2016 10:54pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,398 Mod ✭✭✭✭

This thread is for discussion of the Mocks. Please restrict all discussion of the 2016 Mocks to this thread. Other threads may be deleted or closed.

A few simple rules to ensure this thread runs as smoothly as possible:
      DO NOT POST REQUESTS - they will be deleted. The last had 2 and a half times more deleted requests than posts. If they weren't deleted, you'd never be able to find anything. Don't posts requests.

[*]NO POSTING OF MOCK PAPERS: Any posts of the actual papers will be deleted and the user posting them will be banned. This also applies to linking to scans of the papers.

[*]SPECIFY WHICH COMPANY THE PAPER IS FROM: it saves a plethora of posts going "is that DEB or ...?"

[*]LOOK BACK THROUGH THE THREAD BEFORE ASKING FOR SPOILERS: the information you want is quite likely to have been posted already, and the more times it gets repeated, the longer the thread gets and the harder it is to find anything. To search the thread, click on "Search this Thread" on the top right of the page, type in your keyword and click "Go". The easiest thing to do is put in your subject alone, without the company/paper/level, and then you should be able to figure out from the results list which one you want.

[*]USE SPOILER TAGS: If you are referring to any specific material on any Mock paper, make sure to use spoiler tags so that people who don't want to know what's on a given paper won't see.

A spoiler looks like this:
      Your text here

To use spoiler tags, highlight the text you want to spoil, and click the spoiler.gif icon.

Posting from your phone? Put in spoilers manually by typing [noparse]
      What you want to say here
      [/noparse]

Use square brackets [ ], not round, no matter how it might appear on mobile!!

[*]We don't encourage people to post info, and we certainly don't encourage people to read ... in fact, my personal advice to all of you would be to make the Mocks as near the experience of the real thing as possible, and go into it blind, and if that means panic, now is a better time to learn to deal with that than the day of the actual exam.

By getting hints, you're really not fooling anyone but yourself.

However, we recognise that you are all old enough to be responsible for your own actions here, and at least this system means that if people are going to post or seek for hints, they are confined to one thread and others can avoid them.

This policy has evolved in this forum over a number of years: it may not be perfect, but we have found it to be the best compromise. This thread is NOT to be used for arguing with those who choose to post or look for hints.

[*]All standard boards.ie rules apply here: no flaming, trolling, personal abuse or spamming. Please remember that txtspeak is NOT welcome on Boards. Using large font / multi-coloured text is also both unwelcome and unnecessary.

If you have an issue with a moderation decision, please PM the Mod in question. Do not argue about Mod decisions on thread.

A bit of clarification on what does and doesn't need to be in spoiler tags:

"English was dire, I ran out of time. My comparative was so rushed." = This is fine. You're not giving away any information about the specific content of the paper. No spoilers needed, post away!

"English was dire, I had no idea what to say for Kingship in Macbeth." = This is not fine. Spoilers please.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 onlyontuesdays

English Paper 2, not sure which company:
      It's a very bad idea to know what's going to be on the mocks, but our english teacher told us whats on our paper 2 if you'd still like to know, and we have topics from our business paper. i dont like knowing but if you'd like to know Eavan Boland, a hamlet question on Gertrude and Ophelia or corruption and he has a sample answer for the comparative

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭VG31

Use a spoilers!

Capture.png

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,088 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

...and so the nonsense begins.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭infor123

Your teacher will probably be giving you sly hints anyway. I know I make sure all questions are revised before the mocks that are coming up with my students.

I do agree though, it is pointless doing these mocks if you know exactly what's coming up.

Why don't you try to predict questions from looking at LC exam papers and go from there. They will be using this as a guide themselves in the mock companies.

But remember you won't know in June and this is meant to be a trial run.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,198 ✭✭✭✭endacl

(A) Not everybody will be doing the same papers.
      (B) Stop faffing about on the interwebs and hit the books.

• Advertisement
    • Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭mycro2013

To be honest you'll only be doing yourself a disservice by getting tips. As it will only distort your results and give you a false sense of readiness for the real exam.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 srsh

Spanish, no company, no level:
      something on the environment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

srsh wrote: »
      Spanish, no company, no level:
      something on the environment

:pac: thats been the same rumour since back when I did my language exams over 2 decades ago (for french/german and Irish)... doesn't mean it wont come up though.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭EireLemon

Biology:
      Our teacher literally said that protein synthesis was coming up, not sure which company.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 pollypocketxx

History Higher level, company DEB
      sunningdale, Montgomery, Eucharistic congress, stalins show trials

• Advertisement
    • Registered Users Posts: 5 Lisin

It seems that Studyclix was the goldmine of hints, but the moderators have since deleted the forums. I wish people would post here! Plus the majority of people don't know what company their papers are, so I think lots of people are going to be led astray. Guess I'll have to just cram for the next 10 days and hope the for the best!

[snip]

(I know opinion topics for definite on DEB French mock)

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Timeisup

English paper 1 (I think it qas DEB, the barcode was on the top left on the front page)
      short story with plot central to sentence "ambulance screaming down, a cry of terror", personal essay on fashion industry corrupt or something in youth, short story where character struggles with overcoming indecisiveness (I don't remember the exact wording but that's pretty much what they were)

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Castlebar12

Timeisup wrote: »
      English paper 1 (I think it qas DEB, the barcode was on the top left on the front page)
      short story with plot central to sentence "ambulance screaming down, a cry of terror", personal essay on fashion industry corrupt or something in youth, short story where character struggles with overcoming indecisiveness (I don't remember the exact wording but that's pretty much what they were)

What about the speech?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Canard

Request to posters to either post your questions or don't! Your mentions of having certain mocks will clog the search function and the posts asking for PMs clog the thread. Additionally, I've snipped the requests from posts - they're not allowed and wouldn't be necessary if everyone followed the principle of posting what they have, and waiting for what they don't. Thanks!

English paper 2 DEB
      poets: boland Durcan and plath, characters of claudius and hamlet and a second question on the corruption and deception in the play, vision and viewpoint for comparative and also theme I think

Irish OL Paper 1 (examcraft I think, the bar code was on the right)
      Story about going to town with a friend, letter about taking part in a fun day in your area, blog about school, blog about Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Kan9

Lisin wrote: »
      It seems that Studyclix was the goldmine of hints, but the moderators have since deleted the forums. I wish people would post here! Plus the majority of people don't know what company their papers are, so I think lots of people are going to be led astray. Guess I'll have to just cram for the next 10 days and hope the for the best!

[snip]

(I know opinion topics for definite on DEB French mock)

What are the french opinion pieces ? And what's DEB which type are they ? TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 3 ivelevi

Hello, Biology HL, I am not 100% which company it is last year all of the exams in my school were DEB.
      Section A
      Food
      Ecology
      Cell
      Sexual Reproduction
      Human Defence System
      Photosynthesis or Respiration

Section B
      Experiment about Thoracic Cavity (heart)

Section C
      Genetics
      Ecology
      Enzymes
      Structure of Plants
      Fungi
      Human Systems

Right basically, my school always has deb mocks, so I hope it stays the same! We are so far behind in French, our teacher laid out a few topics, but the questions asked may require a little changing.
      Q1. Homelessness (simply because it was the closest to 95 words, might include a bit on voluntary work)
      Others then are:
      Student life is Ireland is difficult (something to that extent)
      Addiction, (she was fairly vague about that one and it would require the most changing)
      An email: something about your best friend and cancelling a birthday party.

Hopefully this is for deb and not examcraft, atm I'm not sure.

Chemistry DEB
      Bleach experiment, Soap experiment (reflux) - be able to draw the distillation of ethanol process, long question on water, electronegativity, percentage yields, bohrs atomic theory and how and why it's been modified since (in relation to the emission line spectrum), components of LPG and petrol

• Advertisement

Irish deb P1 Essays:
      intinne slainte
      Caighdean spoirt in Eirinn
      Braitheann chun cinn an tir ar fhais na gheiligar
      An tAontas Europach: Ar ndan duinn?
      Tabhtacht an gra i saoil an duine oig.

Irish P2:
      A thig nar thit orm
      Tugtar leiriu greannmhar duinn ar shaol na mbuachalla oige agus ar traidsiun na bothantiochta

Biology deb:
      Food
      Enzymes
      Cell
      Human reproduction
      Ecology
      Human nutriton
      Cell division
      Scientific method

Immune system
      Circulatory sys
      Respiratory sys
      Endocrine sys
      Photosynthesis and exp.
      Genetics: nothing on genetic profiling or evolution
      A long questions including a variety of experiment questions.
      Ecology: a paragraph type one

Leaf yeasts exp.
      Production of alcohol using yeast
      Heart dissection
      Food tests
      Plant cell under microscope
      Know all four enzymes exps.

Prose and poem:
      Hurmlamboc and Geibheann
      don't know questions however sozzles x

An account on twitter has loads of content, found it yesterday: leaving_2017

Even if you're not on twitter, google it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 meg.ka.arm

Paper One SPOILER
      QUESTION 1 + 2 - algebra, factorising, simultaneous equations
      QUESTION 3 - proof by induction
      QUESTION 4 - complex numbers
      QUESTION 5 - exponential functions, calculus
      QUESTION 6 - differentiation
      QUESTION 7 - sequence and series using algebra and functions
      QUESTION 8 - area and volume trapezoidal rule
      QUESTION 9 -financial maths (saving for a holiday) monthly savings / calculated yearly repayments / AER

Paper Two
      QUESTION 1 + 2 -probability
      QUESTION 3 - the circle (centre of circle / distance formula / tangent / equation of line /
      QUESTION 4 - The line - 2 intersecting lines / find their equations / slope / where they pass the x and y axis
      QUESTION 5 - trig + trig identities proof :(:(:(
      QUESTION 6 - length / area and volume / work out a prism shape (trig mixed into question)
      QUESTION 7 - long question - length / area and volume / trig using cos and sigma
      QUESTION 8 - long question - statistics - coming up with sampling method / know different types / suggest one for each type of data / means / standard deviation / draw graph
      QUESTION 9 - functions

I really hope this helps :)
      Best of Luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 trimplin1

How do you know it is Examcraft? Which side is the barcode on?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 meg.ka.arm

Hey Trimplin 1
      My teacher gave us a hand out and told us that we are getting the Examcraft paper.
      This is what he told me, I have not sat the paper yet and won't be doing so until Thursday. He's not the type of teacher that would get our hopes up just to freak us out on the day! Hope it helps anyways :)

trimplin1 wrote: »
      How do you know it is Examcraft? Which side is the barcode on?
      It's on the right for examcraft and left for deb. Think it says it in the description at the start of this thread too, if you wanna make sure :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Annmarieoleary

Ag science Deb
      Q1- question on testing for starch
      - 3 characteristics of clay soil
      - differences between hay and haylage
      - weights of newborn calves, first housing and mating
      -giving examples from names plant families
      -benefits of earthworms
      - fictions of different plant tissues
      Q2- soil q think there was something about bogs and peat
      Q3-option one-sheep:
      Terminal sires,prolific breed, breeding strategy for lowland sheep, ram effect
      -option two- dairy cows:
      Differences between liquid milk and creamery milk, how to have good quality milk,
      Q4-experiments:
      Bacteria in clover nodule, test for sugar in grass
      Q5-advantages of perennial ryegrass, differences between red and white clover, what are tramlines, what is tillering, question on hay
      Q6-talking about a named cereal crop under headings of soil suitability, fertiliser, harvesting and preparation of seed bed
      Q7- genetics: define: diploid, polyploidy and multiple alleles, do a genetic cross and q on embryo transfer
      Q8-liver fluke q, differences between omasum and osmosis, zoospores and zoonose and eutrophication and nitrification
      Q9-scientific explanation for:
      -sprouting of potatoes
      -control of aphids
      -leader follower system
      -red colour in urine

• Registered Users Posts: 1 spudsullivan

English DEB Paper 2
      : Was quite surprised but both Seamus Heaney and Shakespeare come up in the poetry. Our teacher had not covered these so was a shock to all of us. The question on Hamlet was if we actually wanted to shag his mother or Ophelia it was somthing along those lines anyway hope it helps lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 trimplin1

dont think thats DEB.

• Advertisement
    • Registered Users Posts: 10 dovedale15

meg.ka.arm wrote: »
      Paper One SPOILER
      QUESTION 1 + 2 - algebra, factorising, simultaneous equations
      QUESTION 3 - proof by induction
      QUESTION 4 - complex numbers
      QUESTION 5 - exponential functions, calculus
      QUESTION 6 - differentiation
      QUESTION 7 - sequence and series using algebra and functions
      QUESTION 8 - area and volume trapezoidal rule
      QUESTION 9 -financial maths (saving for a holiday) monthly savings / calculated yearly repayments / AER

Paper Two
      QUESTION 1 + 2 -probability
      QUESTION 3 - the circle (centre of circle / distance formula / tangent / equation of line /
      QUESTION 4 - The line - 2 intersecting lines / find their equations / slope / where they pass the x and y axis
      QUESTION 5 - trig + trig identities proof :(:(:(
      QUESTION 6 - length / area and volume / work out a prism shape (trig mixed into question)
      QUESTION 7 - long question - length / area and volume / trig using cos and sigma
      QUESTION 8 - long question - statistics - coming up with sampling method / know different types / suggest one for each type of data / means / standard deviation / draw graph
      QUESTION 9 - functions

I really hope this helps :)
      Best of Luck!

Can you please let us know afterwards if the barcode on the front page was on the left or the right? Thanks!

Advertisement