Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SportsSavers

• 25-01-2017 12:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭

Do anyone know if they are Closing Down for good or Moving to somewhere else in the city. I noticed in the window today when I was passing in the car they had Closing down sale

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Not the first time I've seen that sign, they seem to always be "Closing Down" but never actually do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,358 ✭✭✭JohnC.

I think the previous "closing down sale" they've had was where they supposedly got stock from somewhere else closing down and are selling it off. I've heard of this happening in discount retailers before anyway.

However, this time I think there's also a letting agent's sign put up so they are really closing down.

Actually just had a quick look and it is indeed up on Daft
    http://www.daft.ie/waterford/commercial-property-for-rent/retail-units-for-rent/1-2-arundel-square-waterford-city-waterford-370795/

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

Definitely gone, was in there Saturday, chap on till said that retail in Waterford was awful and as a result are closing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭BBM77

jimbojazz wrote: »
    Definitely gone, was in there Saturday, chap on till said that retail in Waterford was awful and as a result are closing.

You got to love the Waterford attitude. It would have to be something awful with Waterford. Couldn’t be that there are just too many sports shops all basically selling the same thing. Of the top of my head I can count five sports shops within five minutes walk of Sportsavers.

BBM77 wrote: »
    You got to love the Waterford attitude. It would have to be something awful with Waterford. Couldn’t be that there are just too many sports shops all basically selling the same thing. Of the top of my head I can count five sports shops within five minutes walk of Sportsavers.

Calm down, I'm just saying what the chap in the store said, he was clearly upset about losing his job. Nothing to do with the Waterford attitude

Always fools on here quick to jump in with the Waterford attitude card

• Advertisement

Calm down, I'm just saying what the chap in the store said, he was clearly upset about losing his job. Nothing to do with the Waterford attitude

Back of there tiger, I was speaking in general and did not direct anything at you. What I wrote is completely valid.

Back of there tiger, I was speaking in general and did not direct anything at you. What I wrote is completely valid.

No you weren't, pussy, the comment was clearly directed at what I stated in the previous comment.

Like I said, I was merely stating what he said, I never said it was my personal opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Of the top of my head I can count five sports shops within five minutes walk of Sportsavers.

Agree with this, so many sports shops in such a close location. Would rather if some more main mens fashion retail opened instead. Bring back Top Man, Pull & Bear and then other shops like Bershka, New Look and Zara.

That unit has so much potential. With works going to start with the Wetherspoons, it would be an ideal time to rip down most of those shops beside them and build better and brighter units.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,703 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

I think I'd rather see some more locally owned indigenous businesses opened in the town. I've had enough of big business at this stage but then again, I'm not a conventional consumer. Feel sorry for the lads losing their jobs

No you weren't, pussy, the comment was clearly directed at what I stated in the previous comment.

Like I said, I was merely stating what he said, I never said it was my personal opinion

I don’t know what you are on about you sad little person. I wrote “you got to love the Waterford attitude” that is a general statement, unless you consider yourself to be Waterford.

• Advertisement

I don’t know what you are on about you sad little person. I wrote “you got to love the Waterford attitude” that is a general statement, unless you consider yourself to be Waterford.

I can guarantee you I'm not sad, nor little, so be careful with your insults.

Your comment about the Waterford attitude was directed at my comment - it was not a general comment, and like I said, it was the made by the cashier, not me.

Crawl back in your cave fool

So go on then, elaborate on what this "Waterford attitude" is then?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭dzilla

Your comment about the Waterford attitude was directed at my comment - it was not a general comment, and like I said, it was the made by the cashier, not me.

Get a room.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭azimuth17

Just don't think this premises, as a shop, is up to modern retail standards. Its a converted garage on a very ugly corner site. Ideal for redevelopment as someone above suggested. I like my shops to look like shops. Just imagine this "shop" in Grafton Street Dublin. Morris's on the Manor are doing a huge development to make their place into more of a proper shop. Home Store and More on Cork Road is not my taste but looks like a shop. If there is an attitude in Waterford it is among those business people who think a badly converted garage is suitable for 21st century shopping. Sorry about people losing their jobs, but what we in Waterford need more than anything is investment in the centre.

Practice what you preach. If you can’t in engage is a discussion without resorting to calling people fools and pussies a sad little person is exactly what you are.

Practice what you preach. If you can’t in engage is a discussion without resorting to calling people fools and pussies a sad little person is exactly what you are.

I only call it to those that deserve such titles and you clearly do

You still haven't elaborated on your typical Waterford Attitude comment - please feel free anytime you like

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Alright alright, put the hand bags down please and stop with the stupid fighting. Get back on topic or get out of the thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭PremierDeise

Rent and Rates was topping 100k a year hence the reason its closing.

Rent and Rates was topping 100k a year hence the reason its closing.

100k jesus, that building is in dire need of some TLC, it looks neglected as hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭azimuth17

Hardly fit for modern retail at all, but shows the situation locally (attitude?) where some "business people" (property owners) just sit on stuff and never reinvest. That whole corner is terrible. It would fall with one belt of a good hammer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭PremierDeise

100k jesus, that building is in dire need of some TLC, it looks neglected as hell.

Absolutely. Its a disgrace - it was the rates more so than the rent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭kayaksurfbum

Sportsavers and Jean depot were the same company, run by orinoco. Wexford based.

They buy their stock from clearing lines and liquidation sales, lots of the stock is 3 or 4 years old in their shops. Liquidation stock is drying up now so they are running out of stock and regular suppliers (i am one) wont supply them. So they will all shut down pretty soon, in the bigger towns anyway. They might survive in smaller towns were there is not as much competition from chain sports shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

Sportsavers and Jean depot were the same company, run by orinoco. Wexford based.

They buy their stock from clearing lines and liquidation sales, lots of the stock is 3 or 4 years old in their shops. Liquidation stock is drying up now so they are running out of stock and regular suppliers (i am one) wont supply them. So they will all shut down pretty soon, in the bigger towns anyway. They might survive in smaller towns were there is not as much competition from chain sports shops.

why wont regular suppliers supply them

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭kayaksurfbum

In Waterford, intersport is almost across the road so any suppliers they have wont go to sportsavers, same for elverys, lifestyle and small sports shop buying groups.

In Waterford, intersport is almost across the road so any suppliers they have wont go to sportsavers, same for elverys, lifestyle and small sports shop buying groups.

Isn't Intersport and Elverys essentially the same business? Or do they just share the building?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

Less people going around in sports clothes not playing sports is hardly a bad thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,371 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Isn't Intersport and Elverys essentially the same business? Or do they just share the building?

Elverys and Intersport have a partnership agreement - all the Irish stores are the one business.

Intersport is Europe's biggest sports retailer, Elverys have partnered with them which means they have access to a wider range of goods, and have more purchasing clout to negotiate better purchasing rates or credit terms (which they may or may not pass on to us!)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,708 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Less people going around in sports clothes not playing sports is hardly a bad thing.

Better they wear a suit eh. No scumbag ever wears a suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

I doubt it was mainly the retail in Waterford, more like they're closing down because of all the new more modern units being put there in their place, hello such as Cards'n' Things being bought out, brasserie being knocked down and most likely sports savers too.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Irishlad2014

I doubt it was mainly the retail in Waterford, more like they're closing down because of all the new more modern units being put there in their place, hello such as Cards'n' Things being bought out, brasserie being knocked down and most likely sports savers too.
    With a bit of luck that building will be knocked, its an eyeore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 raptore

The Sportssavers in Limerick and Athy were closed down too. More probably to follow. Looks like yer man above is right!

Advertisement