Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hilary Clinton to kickstart her 2020 Presidential bid

• 04-02-2017 4:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33,721 ✭✭✭✭

https://www.aol.com/article/news/2017/01/26/hillary-clinton-reportedly-mulling-talk-show-to-kickstart-2020-election-platform/21663644/
    "She's been talking very seriously about the idea of having her own television show," said the source to Klein. "As a TV host, she'd discuss the issues of the day from a progressive point of view, have top guests, interview world leaders and progressive thinkers.

"She thinks being the host of a popular TV show would energize the Democratic Party base and her tens of millions of fans," continued the source. "It's a way to make a comeback and position herself for another run at the White House starting in a year or so."

It is also being said Chelsea Clinton could be eying up a senate bid.

I really feel the Clintons have this sense of entitlement, and don't want to let it go
    She will also carry the 'deplorables' connection, just as Romney is associated with the '47%'.
    There is this assumption that Trump won't last or be a good president, fact is, we don't know for sure. He might end up as he is now - unpopular with liberals and left leaning people, which was not an iisue for voters, to quote Bill Clinton, 'it's the economy, stupid', and it was the economy in the rust belt that really decided the election.
    I can't see how Clinton who didn't bother going to these states in the final weeks as she assumed states like Michigan and Wisconsin were in her column, could possibly think she really cared, she just assumed they would vote for her.

I am not a fan of the Democrats, but if Hilary Clinton sees a book and a TV show as a way of relaunching her bid for the White House, it shows she puts herself above her party.
    They need new blood, not old blood. I would like to think if she did run again, the DNC would not try and help her as they did against Bernie, and that Democrat registered voters are no longer with Her.
    The Democrats need someone else.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

The People voting in the Democratic primaries will be well able to make up their own minds on that.

And Trump is unpopular - full stop. It's not just liberals and left-leaning people that account for his awful ratings. There aren't enough of them to get such low figures. It clearly was an issue for voters given that millions more cast their vote for Hillary.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,721 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Polls before the election showed there was not much difference in who was most unpopular, Trump had it by a few points.
    Hilary Clinton can try and use TV to become popular, but it did not make Trump overwhelmingly popular.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

RobertKK wrote: »
    Polls before the election showed there was not much difference in who was most unpopular, Trump had it by a few points.
    Hilary Clinton can try and use TV to become popular, but it did not make Trump overwhelmingly popular.

The actual poll of voters indicated the unpopular Hillary was the preferred choice of around three million additional voters. And yeah, you're right, it didn't make Trump anywhere near popular.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

And Trump became the most unpopular president in only 8 days in office; that should give a hint how people have taken to his decisions so far.

Now he can turn it around but the problem it would mean to stop being Trump and honestly if he continues in the same style for the next 4 years (if he makes it that long before the Republican party decide to kick him out of office) I could easily see even Clinton winning. Then again I'd say the same with a wooden plank with a face painted on it because people will be sick and tired of the constant twittering, ranting, failure to take advice, take responsibility for his actions etc.

The part I don't get though is why Republicans would hate Clinton as president; (s)he has been very centric and put in more policies that Republican party would agree with than let's say Obama or Sanders would have. If you get a Democratic president then as a republican Clinton would be the least worst option simply because her politic would be closer to the core beliefs than the alternatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭GritBiscuit

I am not a fan of the Democrats...

Really? Wowzer, you kept that under your hat.

If lack of popularity of the opposing candidate is the necessary primary endorsement, I can only imagine the horror awaiting us as 46th president.

I genuinely don't think Hillary will run again - stand in the wings and enjoy commentating on the bizarre Jerry Springer-esque turn the White House has taken, quite possibly.

I do agree the Democrats need fresh blood tho. People have very long memories and as ready as the electorate were for a reality TV billionaire, they aren't ready for a previous first lady who comes across as cooler than Vostok and more calculating than an Asian supercomputer...maybe Arnie would step up? Dang, he's ineligible. What about a Kardashian? In all seriousness, would anyone actually be surprised anymore?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Really? Wowzer, you kept that under your hat.

If lack of popularity of the opposing candidate is the necessary primary endorsement, I can only imagine the horror awaiting us as 46th president.

I genuinely don't think Hillary will run again - stand in the wings and enjoy commentating on the bizarre Jerry Springer-esque turn the White House has taken, quite possibly.

I do agree the Democrats need fresh blood tho. People have very long memories and as ready as the electorate were for a reality TV billionaire, they aren't ready for a previous first lady who comes across as cooler than Vostok and more calculating than an Asian supercomputer...maybe Arnie would step up? Dang, he's ineligible. What about a Kardashian? In all seriousness, would anyone actually be surprised anymore?

You've clearly forgotten Kanye 2020.

I don't think Hillary will run again. Sanders and Biden will be too old. It'll be interesting to see.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

American democracy has rotted to the core sadly. Not that it is faring much better in the UK or Ireland.

No idea how it will change when all the vested interests control the money and they seem to prefer the oligarchies some western states are turning into.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

She lost the election. I very much wanted her to win (especially in light of what Trump has done after just two weeks) but seriously, when your race is run, it's run.

Unless the Democrats want to be secret double agents for Trump and the GOP she shouldn't be let within an asses roar of the nomination.

Someone like Elizabeth Warren or Bernie Sanders should surely be considered next time around, or better still, someone from a younger generation that isn't seen as part of the 'establishment'.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Hillary is a terrible candidate.
    She's corrupt and has too many banks in her pockets and skeletons in her closet.
    If the US is to get a woman elected, its going to have to be somebody far better than Hillary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

This is fake news, Op should be ashamed of his thread title.

Advertisement