Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General sheep thread

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,967 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

What age is she?

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Could it be her grinding her teeth?

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭390kid

greysides wrote: »
    What age is she?
    She's 2 year old

ganmo wrote: »
    Could it be her grinding her teeth?
    No it seems to be the back bones or hips

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,967 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

It sounds like arthritis, unusual in such a young animal. Probably a sign she, and all her offspring, should be culled.

Give it a couple of weeks to she if she improves. Maybe, just maybe, it could be the effects of the hormone, relaxin, on ligamentous structures around the joints. Its normal role is to relax pelvic connections to facilitate lambing.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Advertisement

greysides wrote: »
    It sounds like arthritis, unusual in such a young animal. Probably a sign she, and all her offspring, should be culled.

Give it a couple of weeks to she if she improves. Maybe, just maybe, it could be the effects of the hormone, relaxin, on ligamentous structures around the joints. Its normal role is to relax pelvic connections to facilitate lambing.
    She's back to normal now no noise since! Good to know about the arthritis it's some I never wuda thought of to watch out for

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭AntrimGlens

I was watching 'The Mart' last night on iplayer and looking at the boys selling the half cheviot ewe lambs. I didn't hear but what were they half bred to? Was it something about a Caithness, or was that the area they lived, they looked very Chevioty to me.
    Anyone?

The young auctioneer was fairly bricking himself before getting onto the rostrum.. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭IH784man

Would running 2 horned ram lambs about 35/40kg along with ewes and lambs be alright?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

IH784man wrote: »
    Would running 2 horned ram lambs about 35/40kg along with ewes and lambs be alright?
    Ewes and lambs as in the ewes have already lambed this year or the ewes yet till lamb and last year's ewe lambs?

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭stantheman1979

I would assume he means this yrs ewes and lambs. I can't see a problem letting 2rams out with them. The pair of them will stick together and won't bother the others.

• Advertisement

This years ewes to lamb,they'll be getting meal together and lambs will be on a creep feeder.Cant see to much damage being done maybe around the creep feeder though.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Ard_MC

This years ewes to lamb,they'll be getting meal together and lambs will be on a creep feeder.Cant see to much damage being done maybe around the creep feeder though.

Depend what meal your feeding your ewes..could lead to trouble in the horned ram lambs.

Yea I know about the ewe meals on ram lambs,must check if the one I'm feeding can be fed to ram lambs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

Yea I know about the ewe meals on ram lambs,must check if the one I'm feeding can be fed to ram lambs

You'll need magnesium in it for the ewes after lambing, that won't suit rams.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Ard_MC

Can you not just separate them...have a few here and if you forget when you're feeding can give you a nice aweakening!

Don't have the numbers for it,Rams easier got in aswell when they're in groups,only reason their still here is because they got away on me while loading the rest

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

I wudn look at value off the 2 horned rams of u lose lambs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

I know it's a pain with small numbers - but if twas me I wouldn't leave em...

There is the ration and magnesium element - but the reason I'd separate em is ram lambs can be rough, especially when feeding and wouldn't think twice about puckish a ewe to get at the feed...

If you had a ewe that lost a lamb, you'd kinda be blaming yourself for it... (well, maybe that's just me, but I would be blaming myself for it, for not taking away the ram lambs)

I know it's a pain with small numbers - but if twas me I wouldn't leave em...

There is the ration and magnesium element - but the reason I'd separate em is ram lambs can be rough, especially when feeding and wouldn't think twice about puckish a ewe to get at the feed...

If you had a ewe that lost a lamb, you'd kinda be blaming yourself for it... (well, maybe that's just me, but I would be blaming myself for it, for not taking away the ram lambs)

+ 1
    Agreed, I'd be moving them on as well, he could have three hurt before you realise he's pucking them

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭marathon

How long will it take me to have lambs fit for factory I bought 20 ewes with 30 lambs I have them in shed at minute going let them out to grass next week. They are all around 10 to 12 days old that's the lambs.

• Advertisement

marathon wrote: »
    How long will it take me to have lambs fit for factory I bought 20 ewes with 30 lambs I have them in shed at minute going let them out to grass next week. They are all around 10 to 12 days old that's the lambs.

Depends on management from now on, whether they're fed meals, grassland quality, control of parasites, and the quality of the lambs themselves.
    Kept thriving, they could be gone in 12 to 15 weeks, or average growth 6mths and poor management 9-12 mths.
    First priority is giving the ewes enough meals to produce enough milk, especially as they're indoors

I'm totally new to the sheep but have read up good bit on it I would aim to keep lambs 4 months maximum. Any advise or ways to maximise growth is meal plans etc cheers

I'm totally new to the sheep but have read up good bit on it I would aim to keep lambs 4 months maximum. Any advise or ways to maximise growth is meal plans etc cheers

you'll have to meal feed to get that time frame, start them on a good lamb creep and change over to a good lamb ration when they're eating it well, you'll need a creep feeder to do that, ewes will need a kg/day for about three to four weeks reducing it if there's good grass and as the lambs themselves eat more meal.....lambs will pick at the ewes feed but don't give the ewes feed in the creep feeder, some do that because it's cheaper but then find their lambs dying of kidney stones

rangler1 wrote: »
    you'll have to meal feed to get that time frame, start them on a good lamb creep and change over to a good lamb ration when they're eating it well, you'll need a creep feeder to do that, ewes will need a kg/day for about three to four weeks reducing it if there's good grass and as the lambs themselves eat more meal.....lambs will pick at the ewes feed but don't give the ewes feed in the creep feeder, some do that because it's cheaper but then find their lambs dying of kidney stones

Cheers rangler1 all that sounds good advice. I'm open to all good advice cheers again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

rangler1 wrote: »

I give Ewe & lamb in the beginning & move over to lamb finisher, should I be wary of not moving early enough

Farrell wrote: »
    I give Ewe & lamb in the beginning & move over to lamb finisher, should I be wary of not moving early enough

If its called ewe and lamb it has to be alright, there'd be a warning on the label usually, I'm using ewe ration that isn't suitable for lambs

Had a ewe due from the 20th on jump a hurdle when I was away,must have got a bad bang because there is a gel like blood lying on the ground,take it the lambs dead,anyone have this happen to them before

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

http://www.sturdyproducts.ie/products/farm-and-equestrian/farm/sturdy-animal-surrogate-feeder
    Is this the sturdy feeder that lads do use. How much is it roughly and how many lambs would it rear?
    I read in older threads about sturdy feeder but not sure if this is the one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭mcgiggles

Had a ewe due from the 20th on jump a hurdle when I was away,must have got a bad bang because there is a gel like blood lying on the ground,take it the lambs dead,anyone have this happen to them before
    Had a ewe do the same when we were dosing them. Nothing from her since but keeping watch on her. Anything with your one since? could it have been the start of the waterbag?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,164 ✭✭✭orm0nd

http://www.sturdyproducts.ie/products/farm-and-equestrian/farm/sturdy-animal-surrogate-feeder
    Is this the sturdy feeder that lads do use. How much is it roughly and how many lambs would it rear?
    I read in older threads about sturdy feeder but not sure if this is the one.

they're about 300

there's a pic of ours over the "new beginnings" feb picture thread

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=102607677&postcount=6

most we ever had on it was 20, ok when they're small we put some of the bigger ones on buckets to make way for babies

Advertisement