Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New Zoe, new wart?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

unkel wrote: »
    What / who are those sources BTW? :)

I work for a defence contractor. Serious remote power requirements these days. If I said any more I'd have to kill you :cool:

:p

Nuclear batteries ! :D

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

cros13 wrote: »
    My sources in Hyundai back before the launch were telling me it was a 30kWh LG Chem pack with quote "room for expansion, both physically and in density".

LG Chem the company supplying the 60kWh battery in the Bolt and the 40kWh in the Zoe. So perhaps a sign of things to come to the Ioniq.

bk wrote: »
    So perhaps a sign of things to come to the Ioniq.

The Ioniq is using an older cell design/chemistry than the Bolt and Zoe. I suspect the bump in range Hyunsai is hinting at for 2018ish is the newer chemistry and filling out some of the empty space in the central tunnel with a slightly larger pack.

Nissan will most likely use an LG Chem battery if they do indeed get out of the battery business.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

I reckon it was a big surprise to everybody about the efficiency of the Ioniq. Lot's of disassembly and understanding the Ioniq going on at Nissan, Tesla, Renault before more products are released.

I'd rather they just make larger more practical , more powerful electric cars to be honest, even if they're not as efficient.

Stick in a good size battery !

• Registered Users Posts: 64,702 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Stick in a good size battery !

But that's expensive.

You can make a new Leaf with a 50kWh battery, but if that car doesn't go 1km further than an Ioniq with a 28kWh battery, then what's the point of that?

You mix up efficiency in the form of electricity costs per km of running an EV, which nobody cares about, with the true importance of efficiency: range, range, range!

My point being that manufacturers are only mainly creating super mini or small hatch cars , that's fine for a lot of people and it's also not fine for a lot of people.

Yes creating a larger EV with a larger battery will be more expensive but a 7 seater Galaxy is a ridiculous price but people buy them because they need the practicality of such a vehicle.

The model choice for electrics is far too poor !

Agreed but we are just not there yet. For a boxy SUV / MPV full EV to compete with ICE, even Hybrid or PHEV, it will need about 60-80kWh battery and be about the same price as them*. That's simply at least another few years away...

*after subsidies

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

samih wrote: »
    I reckon it was a big surprise to everybody about the efficiency of the Ioniq. Lot's of disassembly and understanding the Ioniq going on at Nissan, Tesla, Renault before more products are released.

Tesla already know all about, Model 3 has a slightly lower drag then the Ioniq (but then the S is a much larger and heavier car) and the Model 3 will supposedly have the lowest drag of any mass production car (The EV1 was lower again, but two seats only and wasn't mass produced).

I suspect Nissan knew this too, but got a little stuck since the Leaf has such a poor drag cd and their own battery manufacturing has fallen way behind LG Chem, Panasonic, etc.

I suspect Nissan needs to go back to the drawing board, a brand new car with a low drag cd more similar to the Ioniq and Model 3 along with third party batteries.

the Model 3 will supposedly have the lowest drag of any mass production car

The more I hear about the Model 3, the more impressed I am. It's a pity it's still several years away before we can buy one over here. And that won't be a budget car here, probably around the €40k mark after all subsidies

Tesla already know all about, Model 3 has a slightly lower drag then the Ioniq

I presume you mean Model S? Afaik both have a cd of 0.24, which is about as good as it gets in any production car atm. The model S is obviously not a mass production car but as you say the Model 3 will be

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

The IONIQ is extremely efficient also on low speeds compared to the other BEVs. There seems more to it than just the cd value.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭ewj1978

Aerodynamics is a huge part. Nobody tests the range of an EV without doing at least a good bit of motorway driving, usually at about the speed limit. This is where the Ioniq excels. I'd say the Ioniq in summer will do about 200km at 120km/h. The 30kWh Leaf (a more expensive car with less toys) probably no more than 130-140km (just making these figures up, but I'd challenge anyone to test this and prove I'm way off the mark)

And none of us know much about how good the Ioniq is at regen, but my guess is that it is pretty good there too.

2 german lads took the leaf (30kW) down an autobahn @ 120km/h. Got 138km out of it with 8% left when they pulled off. if i remember right it was 1c and they had a/c on at 21c.

So my guess was pretty ballpark then :)

That's actually not bad at all, given the low outside temps. Wish someone would do side-by-side tests like that with the most popular EVs so we could compare better. The Czech test is the only real direct comparison we have, isn't it?

And still we wait for any info from Renault Ireland. They said they'd send me out a brochure and I'm still waiting. Doesn't really inspire me with confidence.

I had a request in as well... promised a callback from the person handling the Zoe twice and they still have not called.

The launch is supposed to be this month.... you'd almost think they weren't interested in selling EVs :rolleyes:

cros13 wrote: »

The launch is supposed to be this month.... you'd almost think they weren't interested in selling EVs :rolleyes:

No , most Renault dealers are not interested in selling the EV. I remember on the FB Group people telling their experience where dealers were almost putting their arm around them and saying ,as the steer them away ( look at this lovely "Diesel" car, I think this would suit you a lot better ) or something like that.

I've linked this thread to renault Irelands twitter.. Lets see if we get a response.

Their response:" Planning to have the ZOEi with dealers by May. Website will be updated soon and happy to receive any brochure requests via DM."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

samih wrote: »

Absolutely , I was told it could potentially delay new gen leaf. Hydundai pulled a surprise to the whole EV world with the performance of the iconiq

Add a bigger battery to that efficiency and you have a very serious EV

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

I went to Renault.ie site today - they quote ZOE from €23490 with full battery purchase...

I guess it is new, previously it was offered only with battery rental, right?

Expensive. Unless there is scrappage / a substantial discount available?

Top speed of only 135km/h. That's even lower than the original Leaf (144km/h). That's the kind of top speed economy cars had 50 years ago :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Expensive. Unless there is scrappage / a substantial discount available?

Top speed of only 135km/h. That's even lower than the original Leaf (144km/h). That's the kind of top speed economy cars had 50 years ago :rolleyes:

Expensive, but with 41kWh battery... 400 km in NEDC test (280 km for Ioniq as far I can google)

Nevertheless it seems Renault officially ditched the battery rental scheme.

NEDC range is pretty much irrelevant. 300km on EPA range, which is very good (Ioniq 200km), but the practical figures in James and Kate's test (220km winter in UK) were very close to the Ioniq (200km winter in UK iirc). And not the 50% more range you'd expect with a car that has a 50% bigger battery (even though the car is a lot smaller)

But for sure it will suit some people.

So, 28k for the mid range 40kw and 30k for the top of the range. Both of these include Battery purchase. Thats saucy prices imho.

Sure is a high price, most people will see the Zoe as a Clio and you can buy a petrol clio for half the price at about 15K and have what, 500-600 kms range.

Zoe is a small slow car, the extra range would be nice but it's still way too expensive for Irish buyers for what it is. They could easily install a 200 HP motor and make it more desirable. Electricity is too cheap , so why install a low HP motor ?, it's not like you have to try increase fuel economy by installing under powered engines, so what, you drive the car harder you loose some range ? big deal, at least I'd have the choice, I'd imagine the 40 Kwh would be slower again with the extra weight.

If it cost maybe 20K then they'd be on to a winner.

+1 Jensen Melodic Snowstorm

They should have either made it cheaper or they could have turned it into the first desirable EV hot hatch. A missed opportunity.

Well they still have the old 22kWh for €23k... so you have a choice.

Prices will come down in time anyway. Zoe's are doing good volume in France and Germany.

• Advertisement

The 22kWh Zoe is €17k in France. It would sell like hotcakes over here for that price too. €23k for a slowish supermini is just too much. That's the price of a family size car.

Advertisement