Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Diageo Launch New Whiskey - Roe & Co

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Lovin Dublin really annoy me when they publish press releases masquerading as journalism.
    with plans for investment in a whiskey distillery in the once Power Station at St. James’s Gate.

Which really is nothing short of revolutionary.

Yeah, opening a whiskey distillery is truly revolutionary. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

irish_goat wrote: »
    Lovin Dublin really annoy me when they publish press releases masquerading as journalism.

Yeah, opening a whiskey distillery is truly revolutionary. :rolleyes:

LovinDublin are so far up the arse of anyone who'll give them money it's unreal.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,779 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

That's going to be quite the drinks tourism quarter: Roe's and Alltech in the morning; Teeling's and the Dublin Liberties Distillery in the afternoon. Finish up with pints at Open Gate.

Slightly disappointed that they didn't put the distillery on the actual Roe's site, but at least the windmill is on the label. I bet there are Dubs who see that building every day and don't know what it is.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Do we know where they sourced this whiskey (Or what the age is)? Seems like a whole lot of marketing to me, but I'll still give it a try once I get a chance.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

After flogging off a genuinely old (albeit not 409) distillery they go fake one up based on lands they've bought. Odd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Saint Sonner

adrian522 wrote: »
    Do we know where they sourced this whiskey (Or what the age is)? Seems like a whole lot of marketing to me, but I'll still give it a try once I get a chance.
    I read somewhere they have been working on the project for 2 years - is there a specific timeframe on maturity of Irish Whiskey? I presume they will be going back to the original Roe formula?

I read somewhere they have been working on the project for 2 years - is there a specific timeframe on maturity of Irish Whiskey?
    Three years. It's impossible for them to have made this themselves.
    I presume they will be going back to the original Roe formula?
    Going on their beer record, they'll probably try to give that impression without doing any such thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭maximoose

BeerNut wrote: »
    I bet there are Dubs who see that building every day and don't know what it is.

I live not far away, always wondered but now I know :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Saint Sonner

Going on their beer record, they'll probably try to give that impression without doing any such thing.

What beers have they shown this type of behaviour on before?

Dublin Porter and West Indies Porter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Three years is the minimum but it's not good at that age. 5 is where it really starts.

A lot of new distilleries do things like vodka and gin to tide them over in the early years.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

n97 mini wrote: »
    Three years is the minimum but it's not good at that age. 5 is where it really starts.

That's what the big boys with lots of aged stock want you to believe to be an undisputable fact.

I've tasted some amazing 3year old whisky.
    I've had spirit that was 18 months in wood and it was just beautiful. I've had new make spirit with more flavour and complexity than some 10 year old whiskey I've tasted.

There are so many variables, it's not as simple as older is better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

I heard an interesting piece on News Talk about the history of the Roe distillery, I guess inspired by this release.
    Amongst other things they pumped a lot of money into Christ Church in the 1870s to masks or what it is today (for better or worse).

I think there are far too many Irish whiskeys being launched these days.

Most of them are just becoming 'commodity whiskeys'.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Where is the differentiation between all the contract products on offer right now, considering they have presumably all come from the three pre-2010s distilleries? Unless there's Alltech or some of the little from Kilbeggan being sold.

Only so much is likely to have been done in terms of cask types etc in the expectation that there might suddenly be 30 customers banging down the door when its old enough.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

adrian522 wrote: »

I imagine as part of the deal to sell Bushmills to Jose Cuervo, they're being supplied with stock from there and they're surely also buying from Midleton and/or Cooley.

Advertisement