Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Where to book my winter holidays?

• 05-12-2016 1:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi everybody! I have never booked any skiing holidays from Ireland and I was wondering what is the best travel agency or website to do it.

Also I would love to hear your feedback about the ski resorts available. I am travelling with my wife and we already know "Pas de la Casa" in Andorra and some other resorts in the Pyrenees (like St Lary Soulan - France). We prefer red slopes for intermediate to advanced skiing rather than beginners slopes.

I was thinking Val Thorens (I have read it has 600 km of slopes!) but I am open to suggestions based on experience.

Thanks!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Have booked with both Crystal Ski and DirectSki, both as god as each other.

Booked La Plagne in France through Crystal and it was a great spot, we would be intermediate or so. Very family friendly resort!

Booked Pas De La Casa with DirectSki, a different type of holiday but great fun all the same :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

fnez666 wrote: »
    Hi everybody! I have never booked any skiing holidays from Ireland and I was wondering what is the best travel agency or website to do it.

Also I would love to hear your feedback about the ski resorts available. I am travelling with my wife and we already know "Pas de la Casa" in Andorra and some other resorts in the Pyrenees (like St Lary Soulan - France). We prefer red slopes for intermediate to advanced skiing rather than beginners slopes.

I was thinking Val Thorens (I have read it has 600 km of slopes!) but I am open to suggestions based on experience.

Thanks!

It's the whole Three Valleys ski area that has 600 km* slopes - not just VT. VT is at the top right hand side of the 3V so it's unlikely you'd get to ski a lot of those 600 km. It's a pretty good ski area (VT) I'd think it's what you're looking for, based on your description. But what else are you looking for, what sort of accommodation, nightlife, apres-ski?

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭DoraDelite

Worth noting that 600km for the 3V isn't necessarily true...http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/ski/news/Ski-resorts-exaggerate-piste-lengths/
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭d2ww

OP, do you have flexibility as to when you go? If so, you would do well to avoid the school mid-term period 18-25th February.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

DoraDelite wrote: »
    Worth noting that 600km for the 3V isn't necessarily true...http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/ski/news/Ski-resorts-exaggerate-piste-lengths/
    :)
    Yep, hence my * :D
    At least it's not in bloody acres though.
    ACRES?!?! :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 fnez666

Hi all,

thanks for your replies! I finally went to Sauze d'Oulx with crystal ski and everything was great. Only issue was the weather (Second week of January 2017):
    - Few days most of the lift were closed due to wind in altitude: Meaning you are "confining" everybody to few runs so the quality of the snow drops quickly.
    - Lack of snow in Claviere area: If you know the "via lattea" resort, to visit France from Sauze you require to travel through Claviere. The problem was most of the lift in Claviere were only usable with no skis.

Apart from that we had a great time there thanks to the large amount of red slopes with some funny black runs too. I would recommend it!

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭DoraDelite

cormee wrote: »
    Yep, hence my * :D
    At least it's not in bloody acres though.
    ACRES?!?! :confused:

I spotted the * so thought it was with a pinch of salt alright :D

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭dogsears

fnez666 wrote: »
    Hi all,

thanks for your replies! I finally went to Sauze d'Oulx with crystal ski and everything was great. Only issue was the weather (Second week of January 2017):
    - Few days most of the lift were closed due to wind in altitude: Meaning you are "confining" everybody to few runs so the quality of the snow drops quickly.
    - Lack of snow in Claviere area: If you know the "via lattea" resort, to visit France from Sauze you require to travel through Claviere. The problem was most of the lift in Claviere were only usable with no skis.

Apart from that we had a great time there thanks to the large amount of red slopes with some funny black runs too. I would recommend it!

Was there last week and had a great time. Super skiing all week with most lifts being open (but damn cold - they really need some covered/heated lifts). We were advised that skiing to Montgenevre in France is a pain because it takes all day to go both ways, you're on lifts for ages and as soon as you get there you have to turn around. So we just got up earlier and drove over :D

Advertisement