Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ireland De-Facto Visa

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 n7483

As far as I know, it's the last two years living together. I applied before and got it rejected within a day :/

• Registered Users Posts: 3 amynz

Hi everyone, I'm currently organising all of my documents to send in. I have a police clearance letter from NZ (where I'm from), do I need a police clearance letter from Ireland? Or do they run a check on you themselves? Appreciate the help. Amy

You need a Police Clearance of all the countries where you´ve lived in the last five years.

The Inis website has the full list of requirements.

You can request it to your local garda station. Some of them will do it via email.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Jack09

HI,

I'm an Irish Citizen who lived in NZ for 4 years. I met my partner there and we have lived together for 3 years. We returned to Ireland in June to live here permanently. We sent in a folder load of information to INIS in July. We got a refusal letter last week which we are about to appeal. The reason for refusal is because when we returned to Ireland in June and applied for the De facto application 3 weeks later in July - for those 3 weeks we stayed at my parents house. They stated that residing with my parents for that period of time is not akin to marriage!! We are appealing on a couple of basis: 1) we no longer reside at my parents - this was a temporary measure when we first arrived and we have already provided evidence that we rent an apartment occupied solely by us now 2) that because my partner is from NZ, a non-visa required country we HAD to be in Ireland to sent the application. 3) I have copies of all correspondence for job applications and looking for a house to rent once we got back to show we were committed to setting up a life here akin to marriage.

Has anyone else been refused based on living with Parents when you first arrived back? How did you get around this?

We're not giving up !!!!

I can't believe you were refused on that basis! We are going to submit our application this week but are in the exact same position. We lived at my partners parents house for 2 months when we got here while we travelled the country and looked for our own place. I feel like we should leave that part out now. Please keep us updated when you get an answer, good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 Jack09

Tameanseo19 : God I feel so bad for you both - at least we didn't sell a house etc. But it seems like a very broken system. We have now went to an Immigration solicitor, FLAC and 2 immigration advisors. They all reckon it would be a strong case for appeal but can't gaurantee anything with de facto scheme as it is the least reliable scheme.
    Also they all mentioned that the appeals are currently taking up to 6 months. For us that would mean 14 months unemployment in Ireland waiting for this de facto permission for my partner. This might not be an option for us.
    It is totally frustuating and disappointing. The government urge and encourage emigrants home then make it sooo difficult for their partners, it's crazy. Also to suggest that couples who live together for over 2 years and provide that evidence are merely boyfriend/girlfriend type relationship for residing temporily with family is insulting. I think if you can live for 4 years or more in another country away from family you are clearly finanicially dependent as a couple.
    I spoke to two TD's as well but got no where with it. But it was posed to Minister Frances Fitzgerald in parliamentary questions. I can't post the link as I am new user but if you go to
    Justice.ie > media centre > parliamentary questions > 2016 October 25 > question 142
    I am happy to send you the link on the private message.
    Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 3 DianeToo

Tameanseo19 & Jack09:

I feel your frustration and angst. I have no tolerance for plain bullying and putting up with the government’s complacent and incompetent approaches in processing visas/permits. It is not my first time living and working abroad. As a Malaysian citizen who lived and worked in Australia, this sort of nonsensical and unsystematic processes leaves De Facto partners with no status in the country, and no right to work in the country, is unheard of and unacceptable.

Straightforward and clear guidelines, prerequisites and ALL required documents for processing student visas, work permits, etc. are stated in black and white, and in detail, for applications going through the Australian immigration department, unlike the ones here. No guidelines or outline of all required documents, were presented on the website or at the INIS office.

My partner and I received a follow-up letter from INIS requesting for recent utility bills for current address. As my partner and I are temporarily living at his parents’ home until the De Facto decision comes through, we are unable to provide this. It seems to us the letter from INIS is implying that we should commit to a permanent residential address and perhaps, secure a mortgage for it, when my status in Ireland is unknown and uncertain. These are long term decisions and commitments. It is utterly absurd to request for this document, to be a part of the De Facto Partnership Application.

I lodged my De Facto Partnership Application with my four-year Irish partner early August 2016, in other words, approximately six months ago. We have cohabited together in Australia (where we met) and Malaysia (my country). I have not yet received any news from INIS on this but as I am reading the outcome of your applications, I am not too optimistic about the final decision.

Seeing to this, I am writing to The Irish Times a few stories similar to mine. And was hoping you’d like to participate. Do send me a personal message here.

The reason for my actions to take it to a major Irish news publication is to put forward the ongoing unjust, abusive and inappropriate language and treatment, that I have experienced throughout my correspondence with the De Facto and related INIS departments. I would love to put through a couple of stories similar to mine, and submit it to The Irish Times.

It is this sort of incidences that is now encouraging my Irish partner and I to leave Ireland for good. Thus, defeating the Irish Government’s recent campaign purpose to encourage emigrants arriving home for their Christmas holiday to move back to Ireland permanently.

Tameanseo19 & Jack09:

I feel your frustration and angst. I have no tolerance for plain bullying and putting up with the government’s complacent and incompetent approaches in processing visas/permits. It is not my first time living and working abroad. As a Malaysian citizen who lived and worked in Australia, this sort of nonsensical and unsystematic processes leaves De Facto partners with no status in the country, and no right to work in the country, is unheard of and unacceptable.

Straightforward and clear guidelines, prerequisites and ALL required documents for processing student visas, work permits, etc. are stated in black and white, and in detail, for applications going through the Australian immigration department, unlike the ones here. No guidelines or outline of all required documents, were presented on the website or at the INIS office.

My partner and I received a follow-up letter from INIS requesting for recent utility bills for current address. As my partner and I are temporarily living at his parents’ home until the De Facto decision comes through, we are unable to provide this. It seems to us the letter from INIS is implying that we should commit to a permanent residential address and perhaps, secure a mortgage for it, when my status in Ireland is unknown and uncertain. These are long term decisions and commitments. It is utterly absurd to request for this document, to be a part of the De Facto Partnership Application.

I lodged my De Facto Partnership Application with my four-year Irish partner early August 2016, in other words, approximately six months ago. We have cohabited together in Australia (where we met) and Malaysia (my country). I have not yet received any news from INIS on this but as I am reading the outcome of your applications, I am not too optimistic about the final decision.

Seeing to this, I am writing to The Irish Times a few stories similar to mine. And was hoping you’d like to participate. Do send me a personal message here.

The reason for my actions to take it to a major Irish news publication is to put forward the ongoing unjust, abusive and inappropriate language and treatment, that I have experienced throughout my correspondence with the De Facto and related INIS departments. I would love to put through a couple of stories similar to mine, and submit it to The Irish Times.

It is this sort of incidences that is now encouraging my Irish partner and I to leave Ireland for good. Thus, defeating the Irish Government’s recent campaign purpose to encourage emigrants arriving home for their Christmas holiday to move back to Ireland permanently.

Hi Tameanseo19

I am pleased to hear that you are open to sharing your story with the Irish Times. Kindly send it through to [removed - PM if you want to share contact details]

And the end of the day, it really boils down to why on earth was the De Facto Partnership Immigration Permission established in the first place? They are better off not having the department at all if they are going to decline genuine and legitimate applicants.

Looking forward to hear from you via email.

Thanks a bunch, Diane.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 erinice89

Hello all,

I have recently applied for defacto with my Irish partner. Just want to know what are the chances of my application given that there are people with experience here.

The evidence we have submitted are

Friends and family members attesting to our relationship
    dated photographs throughout the entire relationship
    air tix emails
    Photo of sisters wedding attended in Ireland
    wedding invitation cards, cards mailed from ireland to Singapore addressing both of us
    screenshots of our chat and calls throughout the relationship

unfortunately we do not have any financial evidence as it wasnt common practise to do so until married in Singapore. We are staying in a rented apartment of our own at the moment

The questions I would like to ask are:

I just sent the application through the mail. How long do i get an answer from them that they received it.
    If they were to reject, how long will it take?
    it they were to process, how long will it take?

has any of you guys submitted similar type of evidence, and what were the outcomes?

Cheers
    yuxuan

• Advertisement

Hey Tamean,

what did you supply as evidence? how is the appeal process?

We did not submit any utility bills as the bills were in her name, i was not on it.

We are renting our own apartment and staying together now. we did mention that we are renting and staying together by ourselves.

It didnt come to us that we needed to submit the lease too.

Other than that we have everything.

couldnt they have just rejected you without dragging it for 5 months?

Hey Tamean,

if you had receipts for the wedding rings and engagement ring wont it be very good evidence now ? wow thats very bad form now, i do hope your appeal goes through.

the more I dig through this forum the more worried i get :/

what are the odds that they will ask us to furnish extra evidence? or is that the rejection and then appeal?

If we had extra evidence to furnish and add on to our existing application, can we still send that in ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Tader456

Hi All, my partner and I had our application denied on the basis we're living at my parents temporary. We have appealed but we're waiting since November 23Rd. Just wondering how other people are progressing or not? Did the media appeal go ahead? I think I'll try email them today but I'm I won't get my hopes up!

Hello all,

just an update. i submitted my application and received the status number. i did not tell them that I have not stayed together for 2 years due to my parents falling apart and me having to take care of my mum. will submit more documents and see how it goes

Hi erinice89,

Hi,

You should look at the list of evidence listed in the INIS website. You are missing very important documents, like passports, medical insurance, bank statements for the past 6 months (even if separate), proof of joint address for the past 2 years, and if you are not living in Ireland, you should also include reasons on why to move here and what would you be doing.

The two main things that they look at are that the relationship is real, and that you won't be a burden to the State in any way.

They can reject the application straightaway if something is extremely wrong with it, but they might also just keep it for months and then reject it, or ask for more documents.

n7483 wrote: »
    Hi erinice89,

Hi,

You should look at the list of evidence listed in the INIS website. You are missing very important documents, like passports, medical insurance, bank statements for the past 6 months (even if separate), proof of joint address for the past 2 years, and if you are not living in Ireland, you should also include reasons on why to move here and what would you be doing.

The two main things that they look at are that the relationship is real, and that you won't be a burden to the State in any way.

They can reject the application straightaway if something is extremely wrong with it, but they might also just keep it for months and then reject it, or ask for more documents.

I have submitted all the above mentioned for them. Bank statement wise I took a screen shot of my online bank statement to show them of my savings at the moment which is more than enough for me to not be a burden. The only thing I can prove is the joint address/staying togerher.

Insurance everything else has been submitted :) really need lots of luck now

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Kakashka_1

Hi guys,

Just a quick question what happens at the appointment after De Facto confirmation?
    I know my partner has to be there, I need the letter itself and insurance

Is it more like interview or just simple paperwork check and passport stamping?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6 caitcakes

Hello,

I am American and my Irish partner of 4+ years have submitted an application for a De Facto Partnership visa on February 1, 2017. Since I am American I can only stay for 90 days which are coming to a close. Do I need to book a flight home or can I stay in Ireland while I'm waiting? Is there a way to get an extension? I travel frequently and do not want to have anything affect future travels nor my current application. I received a letter already acknowledging its receipt as well as a second asking for an affadavit from my partner's parents stating that our relationship is genuine and that we are residing at his home while we await a decision. I just don't want to leave my partner if I don't have to as I'd have to return home for another 90 days before I can reenter. Please advise. I'd appreciate any and all advice and past experiences!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

caitcakes wrote: »
    Hello,

I am American and my Irish partner of 4+ years have submitted an application for a De Facto Partnership visa on February 1, 2017. Since I am American I can only stay for 90 days which are coming to a close. Do I need to book a flight home or can I stay in Ireland while I'm waiting? Is there a way to get an extension? I travel frequently and do not want to have anything affect future travels nor my current application. I received a letter already acknowledging its receipt as well as a second asking for an affadavit from my partner's parents stating that our relationship is genuine and that we are residing at his home while we await a decision. I just don't want to leave my partner if I don't have to as I'd have to return home for another 90 days before I can reenter. Please advise. I'd appreciate any and all advice and past experiences!

If you are based in Dublin it'd be no harm to go into the GNIB and clarify things at the front desk..although I've received conflicting info from them before. My gf's student visa runs out in the end of May and our application has been in since the end of January - I've asked two different people down at the GNIB and one told me not to worry, as long as I have the letter showing that the application is in then my gf can stay till the decision is made...the other grumpy fecker told me she'd have to leave and reenter.
    We are sticking with the first bit of info.

• Advertisement

I actually just received an email back from INIS saying that it is my responsibility to have a legal means of staying in the country and that their office cannot provide a temporary permission to stay.

I'm confused because if you have to apply within the country and can only stay for 90 days but the process takes 6 months what is one to do? Also, which office does handle that if immigration does not?

The process is kind of contradicting itself and I'm wondering if they themselves are not allowed to advise that I stay. I can't imagine they don't get inquiries regarding this daily as it's a really important issue. There should be some sort of protocol set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

I actually just received an email back from INIS saying that it is my responsibility to have a legal means of staying in the country and that their office cannot provide a temporary permission to stay.

I'm confused because if you have to apply within the country and can only stay for 90 days but the process takes 6 months what is one to do? Also, which office does handle that if immigration does not?

The process is kind of contradicting itself and I'm wondering if they themselves are not allowed to advise that I stay. I can't imagine they don't get inquiries regarding this daily as it's a really important issue. There should be some sort of protocol set up.

The system here is flawed...to put it lightly. Not enough case workers within the department and incredible backlogs. I agree that once your application is put in, and accepted by the department, you should be allowed to remain -as a dependent- until the decision is made. Keep us updated with how you get on.

ElChe32 wrote: »
    The system here is flawed...to put it lightly. Not enough case workers within the department and incredible backlogs. I agree that once your application is put in, and accepted by the department, you should be allowed to remain -as a dependent- until the decision is made. Keep us updated with how you get on.

Hi again!

So I just received another letter back from INIS saying that if my permission is up while my application is processed I can apply for a stamp 3 to the De Facto Residence Division. Has anyone had experience doing this? Do I just write a letter basically requesting a stamp 3 while I wait?

Hi Caitcakes

I am in the same boat! My working holiday authorisation is up at the end of April and I don't expect to receive an answer on my application before then. No matter how much I email the department they will not give me an answer if I can stay while my application is processed or if I should leave the country. I too do not want to stay and have it affect future travel! I can not see why they do not want to answer the question, it absolutely baffles me. They did not recommend stamp 3 to me, let us know how you get on with it. I am going to see an immigration lawyer so I will post an update once we speak to someone. Amy

Hi All!

Wondering what type of insurance you've purchased? I've already submitted my de facto application and already remain in the state. I am a US citizen but have been granted a permission to stay while my application processes. I have to go into the Garda and bring proof of insurance in order to register and am not sure what type to get. I've looked into Travel Nomads as they offer insurance if you are already abroad but is travel insurance adequate? Would love any advice or past experiences as what is acceptable!!! Did you submit insurance with your application? If so, what kind and should I submit to INIS once I purchase? Thanks again!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Tameanseo19

Hey guys...im happy to help anyone who's having difficulties with this process..pm me...if you are coming from a non visa required country , u need to contact GNIB and they should be able to help you out ..as long as you make them aware of what your for circumstances are they will advise...

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Varetinha

Hi guys I'm about to apply with my boyfriend, just wondering, those who were living with parents, did yous get a positive reply in the end?

Just worrying because I'm in the same situation, although we do pay rent etc.

Varetinha wrote: »
    Hi guys I'm about to apply with my boyfriend, just wondering, those who were living with parents, did yous get a positive reply in the end?

Just worrying because I'm in the same situation, although we do pay rent etc.

Still waiting on a decision but they requested a signed affidavit from his parents confirming the legitimacy of our relationship and that we are living together with them. They requested that fairly soon after submitting our application. All I can say is submit as much as possible because they will come back requesting more documents.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Varetinha

Still waiting on a decision but they requested a signed affidavit from his parents confirming the legitimacy of our relationship and that we are living together with them. They requested that fairly soon after submitting our application. All I can say is submit as much as possible because they will come back requesting more documents.

Thanks for replying.

That's a shame, I know a couple who submitted theier application in February and got the reply few weeks ago.

I think the forms were updated so I need to sign them in front of a lawyer anyway, they say if you live with a family member the witness must be the home owner.

Best of luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭sheepondrugs

hi wondering if anyone has any advice.
    My girlfriend applied for the de facto visa in  early May (her: non EU, me: Irish). However her current visa will expire September. So de facto application unlikely to be processed by then. 
    We have an appointment with GNIB in August and we hope to get an extension pending de facto outcome.
    Can anyone advise if this is the best course of action or should we contact de facto section of INIS directly as some have suggested here?
    thanks in advance.

Advertisement