Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Trials of Osiris

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I don't think Thorn/TLW TTK from year 2 is a twitch shooter. The TTKs are still miles off CoD. There's an in between where we are now and where CoD is that would be nice. The maps are issues too, if you want the current TTK you need maps like Resistance and Killzone which have way less cover and encourage full gunfights, rather than running away.

I can imagine they're struggling to find a way of nerfing shotguns further without burying them, I still think the range is really quite low, even on Matadors.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭syboit

Just got lucky with a raffle on twitch, finally made it to lighthouse, totally carried but I'm chuffed either way :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,956 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Yeah, it is - good. I don't want Destiny to become a twitch shooter where you have no real time to react to getting shot. Snipers and Shotguns are enough for that type of play imo. As for Shotgun range being low? Matador64 doesn't feel low range at all - the kill distance on that thing feels way to far. And that (or a gun very close to it) is all you are seeing.

I'd mush prefer the balance of the game changed so that primary gun fights, with the current TTK, were the guns primarily used - and Specials being used in special circumstances - rather than primary use of the specials and emergency use of the primaries.

I feel like UR and the Chaperone should be the only shotguns with that sort of range. Right now, those Matador builds inhabit the same space that HCs are meant to be effective in.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Ah the old buff primary / nerf secondary conversation still rages on :)

Check out Destiny Trials Report on Twitter, they publish a weekly breakdown of what guns are used and how many kills per gun.

The top gun for highest number of kills is, surprise, surpirse Matador 64 with ~6 million kills!!!
    The next gun is the Clever Dragon with ~2.8 million...

https://twitter.com/TrialsReport/status/822190507862409217

I don't think there's any doubt that the primary and secondary weapons need a rebalancing. I think slightly buffing primaries, especially hand cannons, would bring them back into play.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Lads, there might be a round of carries this weekend, Nathan is down from Friday till Sunday so will be doing a few bits on Destiny :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,146 ✭✭✭dudeeile

I don't think there's any doubt that the primary and secondary weapons need a rebalancing. I think slightly buffing primaries, especially hand cannons, would bring them back into play.

In my opinion it was the lazy way out for Bungie, play IB here's a Clever Dragon for you, best primary in the game. We're also dropping shotguns left, right and centre. If everyone is using the same weapons then what balancing needs doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

dudeeile wrote: »

In my opinion it was the lazy way out for Bungie, play IB here's a Clever Dragon for you, best primary in the game. We're also dropping shotguns left, right and centre. If everyone is using the same weapons then what balancing needs doing.

Didn't they remove elemental primaries from the game as that's all everyone used? A select few primaries, 1 or 2 specials and Gjallahorn. They've allowed the PvP meta go same way, CD primary and M64 special.

Didn't they remove elemental primaries from the game as that's all everyone used? A select few primaries, 1 or 2 specials and Gjallahorn. They've allowed the PvP meta go same way, CD primary and M64 special.

With Destiny 2 maybe they just wanted to ease the workload, who knows but it just always came across as an easy fix but it work against them. They didn't seem to put much effort into matchmaking either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

With Destiny 2 maybe they just wanted to ease the workload, who knows but it just always came across as an easy fix but it work against them. They didn't seem to put much effort into matchmaking either.

It's possible. I think they've been playing catch-up a little for all of D1. The self inflicted damage / delays / rewrite wouldn't have helped. Plus, the engine D1 runs on is a nightmare by all accounts. So any changes they have to make, take an inordinate amount of time, but I think that's more on the assets side than a couple of numbers of damage.

Don't forget the fiasco of 6% damage increase becoming 0.06%, and how that was always what it was meant to be.

How does Destiny's MM compare to Halos when they had it? Never played Halos MP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭PetKing

Didn't they remove elemental primaries from the game as that's all everyone used?

I thought it was because burn made NF too easy? Fatebringer was an exceptionally good weapon, and the meta at the time. Being arc was just coincidental.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭Serbian

Maybe we need to split out a weapon balance thread separate to this Trials thread, but the current state of primary weapons and the optimal Time To Kill (TTK, not The Taken King) is an interesting perspective.

It's mentioned above that the Clever Dragon is the best primary in the game, and to a certain extent, that's true. On paper it has one of the fastest TTKs, it has lots of aim assist, if you were around for the Iron Banner that featured the Clever Dragon, a good roll was easily accessible from the vendor, even if you never got a good one from post game rewards. So, in theory, you should be able to shut down a shotgun rusher in 0.9 of a second using a Clever Dragon, right?

The reality is that the (community) published optimal TTKs are a total misnomer. People virtually never get the three burst kill with the Clever Dragon, and I'm including the top tier streamers who use it such as Wish You Luck and Ramblinnn. I've found the PDX-45 / Hawksaw / Blind Perdition archetype much more forgiving in terms of getting that three burst kill, but still taking four bursts to kill someone reasonably often, which is why the Clever Dragon is better — you get that fourth burst off faster, which results in a better TTK most of the time.

But, the very top players generally don't use either archetype of weapon, they all use hand cannons. Why? It's way easier to hit that three tap. Sure, there's bloom, and that can dick you over from time to time, but it's a decent price to pay for achieving the optimal TTK most of the time. I think once you learn to aim for the neck, hand cannons become that bit more forgiving, allowing you to reap the reward for good aim.

I generally feel that primaries are pretty strong, I do ok and get a lot of kills with primary weapons e.g. over Iron Banner this week, I got 572 kills, 40% with primary weapons (19% shotgun, but melee kills could possibly count towards that). I feel like working on movement and getting better at baiting / repositioning would somewhat reduce the idea that shotguns are too strong right now. I play some games where people show zero situational awareness, or see me, but still allow me to get close far too easily and I reckon they're the same people who complain that shotguns are OP.

I find it ironic that people complain that Arc Blade is trash because you have to get in close and judge the swipe, but in the same breath think that shotguns are too powerful because it's too easy to get in close.

Think it was more comments on post 425 stats and not a debate on weapon balancing.

Serbian wrote: »

Here's the weapon balancing thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057647196

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Handy trials vid

Handy trials vid

Man, that's a really nicely detailed video, I have not seen map callouts broken down like that before and the inclusion of head glitch’s and sniper lines is excellent. I'll check out some more of his videos.

Way watching Kraftyy's stream last night. He was happy enough with the meta changes. He was running NLB and sidearm for all rounds after round one. Although he wasn't the best with NLB's new scope, was crying out for an Icebreaker which he doesn't have yet. Lots of his deaths came at the hands of The Wormwood... FWC sidearm?

PetKing wrote: »
    Way watching Kraftyy's stream last night. He was happy enough with the meta changes. He was running NLB and sidearm for all rounds after round one. Although he wasn't the best with NLB's new scope, was crying out for an Icebreaker which he doesn't have yet. Lots of his deaths came at the hands of The Wormwood... FWC sidearm?

Tis, pretty solid option, going by that sidearm guide on reddit awhile back. The 2 CoE sidearms are really solid options too, Crow's Eye and Queen's Choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Played a card last night for the first time in ages. LFGd it and got to 8-0 before losing 2 in a row to mess up flawless. Guy on my team went 2-9 in our final game which we lost 5-4 lol..

Its fairly crap with Skorris tbh. We went outside every round and I'd say 80-90% of rounds were us waiting outside at the cap point whilst the opposition camped inside with NLB/Sidearm and Skorris to build supers.

Primaries are ridiculously weak tbh. Imagine saying NLB (without ever receiving a buff..) would end up being meta. Shows how much everything else has been hit. The way the maps are designed the TTK needs to be slightly quicker because the movement is so quick you pretty much cant kill somebody without them getting behind cover unless its a OHK or teamshot.

Anyone up for running a card or 2 tonight?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Anyone up for running a card or 2 tonight?

I might :D

Also did you see the grenade glitch in this weeks trials map?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,005 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I'd be on for one after 9.

I would be game

I might do some Trials this weekend for the AoT Record Book, any takers? Only expecting like ~5 wins :P

I might do some Trials this weekend for the AoT Record Book, any takers? Only expecting like ~5 wins :P

I'd be willing

Serious runs only.

The Dungeons is the map! Jade Rabbit it is so, see ye at the Ramp Camp

Anyone for some Trials today? Looking to complete some record book

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

PetKing wrote: »
    Anyone for some Trials today? Looking to complete some record book

Yep. Just send invite when you see me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,057 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I'd be up for some no-sweat Trials later if anyone else is looking to knock some out

Advertisement