Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laois GAA Discussion Thread

• 01-07-2012 9:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Just a note on your hurlers: sad to see a great player like Willie Hyland calling it a day. Sounds like there's something seriously wrong with hurling in Laois.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Behind the Fence

Willie hasn't called it a day just yet. If you read yesterdays Indo you will see that he has threatened to call it a day if big changes are not made in Laois. Fair play to Willie for standing up and drawing attention to all that is wrong within Laois hurling. Hopefully the county board, ex players who have not committed to the set up and everyone else involved with laois hurling sees this rallying call and pulls together for the sake of hurling in the county

• Willie hasn't called it a day just yet. If you read yesterdays Indo you will see that he has threatened to call it a day if big changes are not made in Laois. Fair play to Willie for standing up and drawing attention to all that is wrong within Laois hurling. Hopefully the county board, ex players who have not committed to the set up and everyone else involved with laois hurling sees this rallying call and pulls together for the sake of hurling in the county

Laois have some great hurlers above. Almost made the breakthrough in the 80s and have some clubs south of the county on the Tipp and Kilkenny borders that are predominantly hurling.
    Definitely potential there but they need the support that Willie is calling for. They hadn't a bad minor team this year and hopefully in the future they can produce one or two underage teams that can challenge for honours. Hopefully now that they have home advantage they can get a big support for the u21 leinster final. If they play with the belief that they did against Dublin you'd never know. Its a tall tall order though but sport can throw up some big surprises

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Its a sad state of a affairs to see a quality hurler like Willie Hyland so disillusioned with the game at only 23 years of age. I'd love for Laois to get their act together, some fine players at underage coming through.

Does the intense club rivalry still affect the county team? Is it hard for the likes of Camross and Castletown players to unite together under the county flag?

• Its a sad state of a affairs to see a quality hurler like Willie Hyland so disillusioned with the game at only 23 years of age. I'd love for Laois to get their act together, some fine players at underage coming through.

Does the intense club rivalry still affect the county team? Is it hard for the likes of Camross and Castletown players to unite together under the county flag?

It's great that he got it out in the open anyhow. I would say the county board are very football oriented and will allocate little resources to the hurling. At least this way it puts pressure on them. They have to answer the question as to why Laois are in this state and what are they doing to solve it. if they dodge it then heads should roll and they will should there be a considerable hurling public in Laois that wont stand for it any longer.

i think there could well be enough.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Diego Maradona

Just a note on your hurlers: sad to see a great player like Willie Hyland calling it a day. Sounds like there's something seriously wrong with hurling in Laois.
    Wow thats a shock :eek: Fantastic hurler!

Remember James Young another brilliant Laois hurler who retired early too.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,764 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Paddy Bradley has had a similar airing of grievances to Hyland today. It's great to see players who care enough about what goes on in their counties to take on the potential abuse etc and speak up for what they believe in. Fair play to both of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Behind the Fence

The above issue doesn't affect the county team as both of these clubs are no longer the powers they used to be. Neither club had a first 15 hurler all year long. I think Castletown had two players involved and Camross just one.
    Also i think the bad blood between the teams is well and truely in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Not much goin on here - 14 months

Any point in asking. Geezer to be the new Laois manager. A lot have people have mentioned it today.

Thoughts?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Padraig Clancy has retired. I always thought he was one of the best midfielders in the country on his day. The battles himself and Ciaran Whelan had were very close, usually the were cut short due to injury.
    I thought that the run at number 14 McNulty gave him had promise but I guess the injuries caught up with him. Never got the recognition he deserved IMO.
    Best of luck to Padraig, thanks for the entertainment over the years

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/football/2013/1105/484850-clancy/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

Very good player, did a decent job at midfield for years. Was pushed into FF where he wasn't much use. Brought back out to mf in the qualifiers this year, was class again. Sad to see him pack it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭klairondavis

Himself and Noel Garvan were a great midfield pairing.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭cat in the sack

just on the laois thread, i see Camross are back in laois should be good for hurling as they always had a good few hurlers that came from there.

the Cuddys PJ and Martin were hard men Zane Keenan is also a nice hurler
    they went out last sunday to a powerful k/k side from offaly, but i belive they are young and will come again should be good for laois hurling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 vetoldthe

Don't know where i'm going with this.
    but i have to say what a great win today [ laois v roscommon ]
    well done to everyone, looking forward to next weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Hurling Hereford

https://t.co/Ax2vX7EZXH Laois vs Galway this Sunday

Walsh Cup vs Galway today in Rathdowney

RESULT Laois 0-16 v Galway 1-19

A young Laois hurling team failed to make the semi-finals of the Walsh Cup in what proved to be a very good 'workout' for the team. Many of the younger Laois lads proved their worth again a strong & physical Galway. Laois' cause was not helped by an overly fussy ref Sean Cleere from Kilkenny either, who could not have been accused of making too man decisions in favour to the 'home' team.

Without some of their more experienced players who were lining out for IT Carlow e.g. Enda Rowland, Dwane Palmer, Cha Dwyer, Stephen Maher & Andrew Mortimer. IT Carlow now play The Tribesmen in their Walsh Cup semi-final.

LAOIS: E Fleming; C Healy, L Bergin, P Lawlor; M Whelan, P Purcell, R Mullaney (0-1); B Conroy (0-6, four frees, one 45), S Downey; E Lyons, P Whelan, A Corby (0-1); W Dunphy (0-2), N Foyle (0-6, five frees), A Dunphy. Subs: R King for A Dunphy (h-t), D Maher for Lawlor (45), C Taylor for Corby (52), S Bergin for P Whelan (60), C Phelan for M Whelan (64), J Lennon for Healy (67)

Laois Senior Football Manager Peter Creedon has announced his starting 15 for Saturday's Allianz Football League Round 1 clash with Louth at 7pm in Portlaoise

1. Graham Brody (Portlaoise)

2. Alan Farrell (Ballylinan)

3. Denis Booth (The Heath)

4. James Kelly (St Joseph's)

5. Stephen Attride (Killeshin) (Captain)

6. Eoin Buggie (Stradbally)

7. Colm Begley (Stradbally)

8. Kevin Meaney (Arles-Kilcruise)

9. Darren Strong (Emo)

10. Danny Luttrell (Courtwood)

11. Ambrose Doran (Graiguecullen)

12. Niall Donoher (Courtwood)

13. Eoin Lowry (Killeshin)

14. Donal Kingston (Arles-Killeen)

15. David Conway (Arles-Kilcruise)

• Advertisement

Creedon concedes Laois were 'off the pace'

05 February 2017

Peter Creedon wasn't making any excuses after his first Allianz League game in charge of Laois ended in a heavy defeat to newly-promoted Louth at O'Moore Park last night.

The home side were extremely wasteful and also had Colm Begley sent off in the closing stages, but Creedon accepted that the best team won.

"We knew from watching the Louth games (in the O'Byrne Cup) that it was going to be tough," he told Newstalk.

"Did I expect us to be well beaten like that? 'No' is the honest answer to that question. Louth were comprehensively the better team on the night.

"It's a pity we didn't take a few of our scores early doors, instead of racking up four or five wides. We could have been 0-05 - 0-01 ahead after 10 or 12 minutes. In fairness, Louth just kept running at us and they were the better team."

The former Tipperary manager added: "We had set up to let them run at us a little bit more toward our own 45, but they seemed to get the runners in behind our half-back line. They kicked very few wides and their shot selection and execution was very accurate. That's something we'll have to look back at on the tape.

"We're also maybe missing a few seasoned campaigners around the middle of the pitch, but we knew that from a time out.

"We're disappointed to conceded 2-16, we normally pride ourselves on being a little bit tighter. Give credit to Louth. We were doing our best, but for some reason we were off the pace tonight."

Well done to the Laois footballers following their impressive victory over Westmeath at the weekend. If they can get over Carlow (large task) I don't think Laois will fear The Dubs. Onward & Upward!

Good weekend for Laois GAA.

Fair play to our much maligned hurlers on beating Meath in Navan. Now Laois Co. Board Executive have to present Eamonn Kelly with his P45 and put proper hurling structures in place at all levels in the county.

Great win for our Senior footballers defeating 'Carlow Rising' in Croker today. Nobody will give us a 'snowball's chance in hell' against the Galacticos i.e. The Dubs. Nice way to go into any final

Advertisement