Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pliny the Elder

• 19-01-2017 3:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭

Anyone know of anywhere selling this in Leinster region sherlockzk0.gif

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Nope. It's not exported at all. Barely any leaves California: they have a distributor in Oregon, Colorado and Pennsylvania but that's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Antrim_Man

BeerNut wrote: »
    Nope. It's not exported at all. Barely any leaves California: they have a distributor in Oregon, Colorado and Pennsylvania but that's it.

Ive asked a guy on Instagram who "appears" to be in Ireland where he got his 2 bottles he posted up today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

you can be guaranteed he, or someone he knows, brought it back in checked luggage from California.

I've drank it twice in Ireland, once was indeed when a fella I knew brought some back, and the second time the owners of McHugh's off licence brought back 2 cases and did a tasting in their shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

I found it hard to get hold of in San Francisco never mind here. Sold out everywhere until the specific delivery day when it arrives.

I was in a massive Off license in Colorado in August and could not get it :(
    A guess I will give up :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

slayerking wrote: »
    I found it hard to get hold of in San Francisco never mind here. Sold out everywhere until the specific delivery day when it arrives.

The main proper bar i was in there seems to have a dedicated sign up "we have NO pliny the elder" to avoid people constantly asking them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Do you use untappd?

There is another service running off it called beerxchange
    http://www.beerxchange.com

Pliny the younger and elder are popular on there, you might have luck with an exchange. There are also good tips in the forum's for delivery and customs.

jester77 wrote: »
    Do you use untappd?

There is another service running off it called beerxchange
    http://www.beerxchange.com

Pliny the younger and elder are popular on there, you might have luck with an exchange. There are also good tips in the forum's for delivery and customs.

I use to use it but I post my beer pics on Instagram and find keeping both going provides more admin than the beer is worth :D

Got this from Pliny

Good Morning.
    Thank you for reaching out. Regretfully, Russian River does not distribute to Ireland. With the brewery operating at full capacity, RRBC is focused on fulfilling local demand here in Northern California.
    Please let us know if you have any questions.
    Cheers,
    -Benz

It just has to be done though :o

• Advertisement

It's a proper old school IPA, more resinous and absolutely not as hop forward as the more modern take on the style.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

It's a proper old school IPA, more resinous and absolutely not as hop forward as the more modern take on the style.

An old school IPA is somthing like Harpoon IPA

oblivious wrote: »
    An old school IPA is somthing like Harpoon IPA
    An old school IPA is something like cask Bass or Worthington E.

Beat that! :P

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,756 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Proper old school IPA probably had brett in it. :p

touché :P

irish_goat wrote: »

Proper old school IPA was a pale stock ale.........:D

irish_goat wrote: »
    Indeed. I've heard it said, and would well believe, that Orval is the nearest thing in flavour to a Victorian-era IPA that's commonly available.

Crooked Stave!

I, of course, meant old school US IPA, circa 2008

Was McEwans not the first to make IPA?

Edit, Googled it and they were not. Had McEwans in the back of my head for some reason.

Antrim_Man wrote: »
    Was McEwans not the first to make IPA?
    Correct. McEwan's was not the first to make IPA. McEwan's was founded in 1856. The first known use of the phrase "India Pale Ale" is from 1829.

• Advertisement

Correct. McEwan's was not the first to make IPA. McEwan's was founded in 1856. The first known use of the phrase "India Pale Ale" is from 1829.

Im sure it was to do with it being around in the 70's. It seems McEwans IPA back then provided inspiration to the modern IPA's/APA's brewed in the states.

I need to read more :o

Antrim_Man wrote: »
    Im sure it was to do with it being around in the 70's. It seems McEwans IPA back then provided inspiration to the modern IPA's/APA's brewed in the states.
    Interesting! Anchor Liberty tends to be regarded as the first modern American IPA, but it tastes nothing like any IPA to me. Guess I need some vintage McEwan's to compare it with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

been dying to try this for ages and had mates over there last september who got me a few bottles of pliney and sent me a couple of photos to show they were on the way...then they forgot them in the hotel.

I know people say there's better out there but feck sake talk about a tease... :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Didn't Hodgson's produce the first Pale Ale?

RasTa wrote: »
    Nope, though that myth does get repeated a lot. Here's a list of the known knowns of IPA history.

hodgsons-ad-sydney-1833-1024x688.jpg

Hodgson, though not the first, had the market cornered for a while, until he got greedy and was undercut by Allsopp and Bass.

They had be around along time before that ad stock pale ales

Yeah my IPA book by Mitch Steele has them as the first to produce. Although I don't really care who did it.

• Advertisement

Yeah my IPA book by Mitch Steele has them as the first to produce.
    American homebrew culture invented this whole alternative history of beer that's just nonsense.

Advertisement