Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Jimbo Slice memorial thread, feat Nate Dogg - The new Off Topic thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Someone took offence to a post...said it was spamming and promptly banned him

Oh they thought he was advertising his PT work?
    He probably had about 10,000 helpful posts in fitness lol
    Ah well
    Thanks I haven't been following these fit and strength forums as much as I used to

• Registered Users Posts: 24,537 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Tigger wrote: »
    Oh they thought he was advertising his PT work?
    He probably had about 10,000 helpful posts in fitness lol
    Ah well
    Thanks I haven't been following these fit and strength forums as much as I used to

That's it in a nutshell, sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭RoryW

That's it in a nutshell, sadly.

Perhaps a poll of forum members should be held as to whether the ban should be reversed or time limited given his overwhelming helpful posts ?

Democracy and all that ?

After all President Obama commuted a 35 year sentence to 7 years

But perhaps suggesting a democratic poll will result in a ban for me for such impertinence and banishment to North Korea ?

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭laserlad2010

whippet wrote: »
    Anyone competing at either of the powerlifting meets this weekend?

IPF Leinster Open (Sat / Sunday) - National Show Centre Dublin and ABS Gym Dublin
    IPO / AIPO (tested) SingleLifts - Boyneside, Drogheda

I'll head in to Boyneside to watch the Single Lifts as it's local to me .. not competing myself as i'll be doing the IPO Nationals in March

Yeah I'm doing the single lifts as a first comp before the nationals in March.

Ive another 800g to lose in 24 hours before weigh in to make the 100kg class. Hoping to PR in the deadlift but I'm nervous as f**k cos I'm lifting baby weights compared to some of the lads.

That being said, I'm a genuine AIPO lifter ;) so I shouldn't compare like with like

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Think Blacktie is as well. Said he was shortly after the entries sold out in the Squats the story thread (RIP)

Yeah man cya there... Though I doubt I'll know who you are :D. I have a vague memory of a blurry squat PR a few months back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

RoryW wrote: »
    Perhaps a poll of forum members should be held as to whether the ban should be reversed or time limited given his overwhelming helpful posts ?

Democracy and all that ?

After all President Obama commuted a 35 year sentence to 7 years

But perhaps suggesting a democratic poll will result in a ban for me for such impertinence and banishment to North Korea ?

Hey, it's boards.ie, wouldn't be the most ridiculous reason for a sanction I've seen.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Hey, it's boards.ie, wouldn't be the most ridiculous reason for a sanction I've seen.

If Hanley wanted his ban lifted it'd probably be done by now. I can't go into much detail. But it wasn't the fitness mods who banned him and it's not up to us to lift it.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Blacktie. wrote: »
    Yeah man cya there... Though I doubt I'll know who you are :D. I have a vague memory of a blurry squat PR a few months back.

Can one of ye start a thread in the main forum? I used to love when there was a powerlifting meet thread to admire.

they/them/theirs

Brian? wrote: »
    If Hanley wanted his ban lifted it'd probably be done by now. I can't go into much detail. But it wasn't the fitness mods who banned him and it's not up to us to lift it.

Based on what I know of Hanley I don't think he'll back down first, if that's what it is. It's a real pity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭RoryW

the plot thickens......

• Advertisement

the plot thickens......

I've said too much. I feel like Julian Assange

they/them/theirs

Can one of ye start a thread in the main forum? I used to love when there was a powerlifting meet thread to admire.

A general thread for meets? How much traffic would that actually get though?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

It'd be cool though, especially if there's live stream links
    You could call it Officially Picking Things Up And Putting Them Down Again

I've said too much. I feel like Julian Assange

Ah Chelsea, tis yerself.

A thread per meet. I'll see if I can dig up an old one.

Everyone used to post their experiences, number and some videos. It used to be great. Really motivated others to give it a go actually.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

Mellor wrote: »
    One thing that never ceases to amaze me with the gym is the sheer craziness of some people.
    The other day, a women was using calf raise machine that was loaded to the hilt with plates. Tried to do a few reps, struggled immediately and blew her ankle. I don't know if it was a broken bone, or a torn ligament. I'd guess it was one or the other though. Stupid behaviour leads to accidents, the gym is no acceptation.
    Then her lawyer contact the gym to let them know she is sueing them for damages. WTF?

I'm sorry she was hurt of course. But you you try to lift a weight that's too heavy for you, and you hurt yourself, that's your fault imo.

There was a story going around sligo last week and I was a bit skeptical as I only heard the story off people from a different gym.
    Today a got the full story from a guy that actually trains there:
    A pretty strong guy was doing calf raises on a step in a Smith machine with a shedload of weight on. The step flips, he falls and the bar comes down on his neck.
    Currently he's in a wheelchair unable to walk

Ah Chelsea, tis yerself.

You know, I was going to say Chelsea Manning. But my gender identity issues are probably not suited to the Fitness forum. Although I only want to be a woman so I can wear those space leggings Bluewolf is into.

they/them/theirs

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

You know, I was going to say Chelsea Manning. But my gender identity issues are probably not suited to the Fitness forum. Although I only want to be a woman so I can wear those space leggings Bluewolf is into.

Did I mention I actually went and ordered them ...
    Waiting for them to arrive

A thread per meet. I'll see if I can dig up an old one.

Everyone used to post their experiences, number and some videos. It used to be great. Really motivated others to give it a go actually.

Maybe so. I'd probably have posted in my log anyway. But I see your point.

bluewolf wrote: »

Brilliant. They are fabulous.

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement

There was a story going around sligo last week and I was a bit skeptical as I only heard the story off people from a different gym.
    A pretty strong guy was doing calf raises on a step in a Smith machine with a shedload of weight on. The step flips, he falls and the bar comes down on his neck.

There's a guy in the gym that's an accident waiting to happen. Hanging upside down on the bar the TRX straps used be suspended from...doing something that would look like lateral raises. If he wasn't hanging upside down.

Hangs the dumbbells on the bar as well between sets of crazy.

I think he might punch himself in the face if he did fall though.

There's a guy in the gym that's an accident waiting to happen. Hanging upside down on the bar the TRX straps used be suspended from...doing something that would look like lateral raises. If he wasn't hanging upside down.

Hangs the dumbbells on the bar as well between sets of crazy.

I think he might punch himself in the face if he did fall though.

Wait... What??

Which way are the dumbbells going??

Wait... What??

Which way are the dumbbells going??

If you were hanging upside down and looking at him....and unaware that you were both upside down...it would look like he's doing lateral raises.

Except he's hanging upside down.

I live in Sligo where was that ? Cleveragh ?
    Does a smith not stop the bar a few feet up ?

Does a smith not stop area feet up ?

Are there words missing from this sentence?

they/them/theirs

Are there words missing from this sentence?

Sorry I find it hard to post properly
    Does a smith machine not have a minimum height it can drop the bar to
    I thought that it has stops a few feet from the ground

• Registered Users Posts: 38,923 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Her was banned by the CMods/Admins, not the forum mods. It's essentially nothing to do with the Fitness forum.

If he had of raised the issue in the resolution section (which he still has accerss to) I'd imagine he'd have been reinstated. I'd also imagine the Mods would give their approval if asked.
    But I also imagine that Hanley hasn't bothered to appeal, and is in no hurry to. Which is a shame.

bluewolf wrote: »

I found my poncho. I bought it from a Native American lady in Northern Arizona, she may have been Navajo. Do you think it's acceptable gym attire?

I wonder if I'll make it into the hoodies thread if I start wearing it to the gym.

they/them/theirs

I found my poncho. I bought it from a Native American lady in Northern Arizona, she may have been Navajo. Do you think it's acceptable gym attire?

I wonder if I'll make it into the hoodies thread if I start wearing it to the gym.

It's nice that you don't see a throw with a hole in it...but a poncho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

Sorry I find it hard to post properly
    Does a smith machine not have a minimum height it can drop the bar to
    I thought that it has stops a few feet from the ground

I was told when he fell he got pinned between the step and the bar. I got the impression this guy was using alot of weight so even just that bar coming down on you as you fall weird would be enough.
    I seen it happen in a different gym years ago when a guy had 4 or 5 plates each side, the guy was OK but it was scary to hear a crash, turn around and see a guy all folded up with the bar on his neck
    Yet again Smith machines showing they're only good for hanging your hoodie on!

Advertisement