Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Coppers ski trip

• 15-01-2017 7:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭

After too many yrs of dithering I've finally decided to take the plunge and book a week ski holiday. Never skied before.

As I'll be going solo I figure it best I go with a group for company.

I came across a copper face jacks ski trip to Andorra.

Has anyone been on one of these trips and can advise what it was like. What is the age rage ? I'm kicking the as* of 40 so I'm slightly hesitant I'll feel out of place.

Any thoughts welcome

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭d2ww

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Quii

I ended up going on the Today FM last year and it was great craic! yes it was over priced (not sure how much the coppers one is), but made plenty of friends and had a ball!!!

I was 25 at the time and definitely one of the younger members on the trip, lots of people in their 40s in the gang (though possibly the coppers one will be younger?)

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Meself

Quii wrote: »
    I ended up going on the Today FM last year and it was great craic! yes it was over priced (not sure how much the coppers one is), but made plenty of friends and had a ball!!!

I was 25 at the time and definitely one of the younger members on the trip, lots of people in their 40s in the gang (though possibly the coppers one will be younger?)

Thanks.. yeh i was looking at the todayfm one but it's too close plus it's sold out.

it's coming in at 900ish inclusive of rentals and ski lessons.

Decisons decisions!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Meself wrote: »
    Thanks.. yeh i was looking at the todayfm one but it's too close plus it's sold out.

it's coming in at 900ish inclusive of rentals and ski lessons.

Decisons decisions!

I know someone who ended up on the today fm one in their own and they had a ball. Your paying a premium for organised craic but the craic is why your looking at going on it so I wouldn't worry about it if you afford it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

After too many yrs of dithering I've finally decided to take the plunge and book a week ski holiday. Never skied before.

As I'll be going solo I figure it best I go with a group for company.

I came across a copper face jacks ski trip to Andorra.

Has anyone been on one of these trips and can advise what it was like. What is the age rage ? I'm kicking the as* of 40 so I'm slightly hesitant I'll feel out of place.

Any thoughts welcome

You ve a few options,
    Go on the coppers trip meet the love of your life/week/night, wake up everyday hungover to f**k spend morning in the horrors with legs like jelly and not progressing you're skiing/boarding much. Get hooked on the Apres ( which will never ever normally compare to an en masse trip like the coppers one) . You pay over the odds to go to an Andorra resort not very reliable snowwise ( it does matter even when you are a beginner) , but in saying that Andorra is having a very good year.

Or book a week on your own for cheap with the action outdoors in France, meet like minded people plenty beginners have some craic a few beers each evening with maybe one or two heavy ones, get up pretty fresh and make decent progress by the end of the week , get hooked on the skiing and plan your winters accordingly for the next 5-10 years.

I will say though being a beginner is that the week can get tedious if there is little to no apres involved because there is so much concentration and frustration involved , but drink til bedtime don't be staying up til 4am.

• Advertisement

lbj666 wrote: »
    You ve a few options,
    Go on the coppers trip meet the love of your life/week/night, wake up everyday hungover to f**k spend morning in the horrors with legs like jelly and not progressing you're skiing/boarding much. Get hooked on the Apres ( which will never ever normally compare to an en masse trip like the coppers one) . You pay over the odds to go to an Andorra resort not very reliable snowwise ( it does matter even when you are a beginner) , but in saying that Andorra is having a very good year.

Or book a week on your own for cheap with the action outdoors in France, meet like minded people plenty beginners have some craic a few beers each evening with maybe one or two heavy ones, get up pretty fresh and make decent progress by the end of the week , get hooked on the skiing and plan your winters accordingly for the next 5-10 years.

I will say though being a beginner is that the week can get tedious if there is little to no apres involved because there is so much concentration and frustration involved , but drink til bedtime don't be staying up til 4am.

Ha ha cheers for that

As much as I enjoy a late night.. The thoughts of waking up most mornings in the horrors does not appeal especially when learning.

Just had a look at action outdoors. It could be a winner. Have you been on their trips ? Its UK company I see. Are there many irish on these trips ?

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭DoraDelite

Action Outdoors all the way especially if you actually want to ski!
    You'll get all sorts on those trips and I've always had a great laugh on them and met some brilliant people. The UCPA centres are normally a mix of Swedes, French and Brits but this year I've had a couple of Aussies, Polish, Czech and Irish thrown in as well.

DoraDelite wrote: »
    Action Outdoors all the way especially if you actually want to ski!
    You'll get all sorts on those trips and I've always had a great laugh on them and met some brilliant people. The UCPA centres are normally a mix of Swedes, French and Brits but this year I've had a couple of Aussies, Polish, Czech and Irish thrown in as well.

Perfect. Well that's that. Gona book with them. Was doing a bit of reading up on UCPA and sounds decent. Good mix of nationalities.

Thanks for ur input on this. Where did you go ? I'm looking at Val d'Isère

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Quii

Perfect. Well that's that. Gona book with them. Was doing a bit of reading up on UCPA and sounds decent. Good mix of nationalities.

sounds like you've made the right decision there TBH, I've been skiing 4 years (5 years in 2 weeks :D ) and 2 of the 4 trips I've been on have been more about the apres than the ski, which given my age is perfectly fine with me, but I'm certainly looking forward to racking up some milage this year, maybe I'll only bring one hip flask out this year :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

Just be sure you book with action outdoors and not ucpa because some weeks with UCPA might not have many English speakers.

So of their hostels are better equipped than others but It would be a good way to see Val dIsere on a shoe string.

• Advertisement

lbj666 wrote: »
    Just be sure you book with action outdoors and not ucpa because some weeks with UCPA might not have many English speakers.

So of their hostels are better equipped than others but It would be a good way to see Val dIsere on a shoe string.
    Will do.

I'm not definate on Val d'Isère yet so feel free to recommend elsewhere with them for a beginner.

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Will do.

I'm not definate on Val d'Isère yet so feel free to recommend elsewhere with them for a beginner.

Thanks again

Tignes ucpa which is in the same ski area VDI is very good also, as would be flaine, argentine, I would suggest Les arc or les plagne other than they have had a desperate season for snow so far, chamonix is very good for skiing, but just too much busing around in the morning/evening for beginners, Val thorans supposedly the best of the lot, but a bit of a waste on beginnings, the ucpa centre there is a 15min walk from the town so bit of traveling for any sort of night life.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭DoraDelite

I reckon Tignes or Val D UCPA for beginners would be great as the location of those centres is ideal, as is the ski area. All centres I've been to seem to have a good buzz. As Timmaay says above Chamonix is great too but I think you'll be p!ssed off with the buses as a beginner. I'd also add I reckon the beginners in Argentiere spend a lot of time on the bus also going to Planards and Flegere for the beginner slopes. I haven't been to Les Arc or Les Plagne so can't comment on those.

Advertisement