Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attaching green plastic netting to concrete wall?

• 11-01-2017 8:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,710 ✭✭✭✭

Hello. Best way to Attach green plastic netting to concrete wall? well it a concrete rendered/plastered wall. - Do I just use cable clips or is there some purposely designed clips I hammer into wall?

And when I get the netting up, what kind of climbers? something with leaves all year round? - something I can plant in Jan/feb or will I have to wait til spring? - its just a means to cover an ugly grey wall and give it a bit of colour.. quickly!

I was thinking Cotoneaster or Ivy ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,141 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

You want neither of these!
    Have you a link to the netting?
    How high and long the wall?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Passion fruit grows pretty quick

• Registered Users Posts: 11,710 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

You want neither of these!
    Have you a link to the netting?
    How high and long the wall?

This kind of stuff:

117409_R_Z001?$LISTER$&wid=420&hei=420

I think a plant would pull that down. Trellis might work better. Drill through the wood into the wall. Put plugs into the wall and screw Trellis on.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,942 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I have just had to hack down a passion fruit that had completely overwhelmed a pyracantha and the clematis next along. It needs a lot of space.

Ivy or clematis montana or pyracantha or honeysuckle or pretty much anything heavier than sweet peas will have that net down in no time. And most of them would pull down trellis too. Best bet is vine eyes and wires.

• Advertisement

looksee wrote: »
    I have just had to hack down a passion fruit that had completely overwhelmed a pyracantha and the clematis next along.

Good point, the passion fruit can grow big and fast. BTW were you able to eat any of the fruits?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,942 ✭✭✭✭looksee

It has never produced even one fruit, though I know of one nearby that produces/produced fruit with great enthusiasm. That one was huge, right up the back of a house (south facing wall). My one had loads of 'blind buds' - just a few pale green petal type things but no flower or fruit inside, far more than there had been flowers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Marhay70

Hard to tell from the photo if it is rigid netting or something like pea netting or chicken wire.

What iI did in a similar situation using rigid plastic netting, was screw treated 2x1 timber battens to the wall and then used simple u shape staples to hold the
    netting to the battens. I then planted Trachelospermum Jasminoides and Star jasmine plus Clematis jackmanii " The President". It's been up there for fifteen years without budging. The battens have the added benefit of allowing air to circulate behind the plants, so lessening the possibility of fungal diseases if I decide to change the planting to roses or such.
    You don't say what your aspect is or what sort of micro climate you have, my wall is south facing and in Wexford but Sligo might be a different proposition for the Jasmines. If you get a bit of sun, Clematis Armandii might be a good choice for an evergreen climber.

Advertisement