Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Marvel Neflix Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

I'm seeing all this unadulterated lurve for Luke Cage and I'm kinda surprised, I really thought it took a nosedive post episode 7!

Definitely thought Ms Jones and DD season 1 were superior (although there is plenty to love in Luke Cage).

I'm the opposite; I don't get why people disliked the last few episodes...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I'm the opposite; I don't get why people disliked the last few episodes...

Diamondback was just a total let down for me and I don't know why he was there. First half of the season he was built up as this mob overlords who Stokes was afraid of, I though Stokes was like level 1 and Diamondback was the boss at the end. But he arrived and he was just a
    jealous brother
    . His connection to Stokes and the mob was never explained; was it pure coincidence that he was manipulating things and Cage showed up or did he know Cage was in Harlem prior. It was just lazy writing and the battle for Harlem took a backseat to a lazily plotted family drama which I had no interest in.

That's a brief summary of why I disliked it.

FunLover18 wrote: »
    Diamondback was just a total let down for me and I don't know why he was there. First half of the season he was built up as this mob overlords who Stokes was afraid of, I though Stokes was like level 1 and Diamondback was the boss at the end. But he arrived and he was just a
    jealous brother
    . His connection to Stokes and the mob was never explained; was it pure coincidence that he was manipulating things knowing Cage would show up or did he know Cage was in Harlem prior. It was just lazy writing and the battle for Harlem took a backseat to a lazily plotted family drama which I had no interest in.

That's a brief summary of why I disliked it.

Hmm... I kinda liked all that. I really liked how Cottonmouth
    was the slow-build calculating (though not as clever as he thought he was) villain that came before the lunatic with no real plan and a flimsy motive.
    It kinda felt like the opposite to the other shows, which I liked. I really liked when
    Shades realised just how stupid Diamondback was for his lack of a plan
    . I have to say as well, I was really excited by the inclusion of
    Hammer tech
    and I was possibly overly excited by the
    Serpent Society
    costume reveal...

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,134 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I thought LC started out very cliched and just downright poor in terms of some of the dialogue and characters but improved as it went along. Didn't think it hit the heights of JJ or DD and it suffered from the same thing as JJ where I felt it peaked about 3 or 4 episodes too soon then just felt a bit aimless for the last few episodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Hmm... I kinda liked all that. I really liked how Cottonmouth
    was the slow-build calculating (though not as clever as he thought he was) villain that came before the lunatic with no real plan and a flimsy motive.
    It kinda felt like the opposite to the other shows, which I liked. I really liked when
    Shades realised just how stupid Diamondback was for his lack of a plan
    . I have to say as well, I was really excited by the inclusion of
    Hammer tech
    and I was possibly overly excited by the
    Serpent Society
    costume reveal...

But they built DB up as someone who did have a plan.
    Shaeds got really pissy when Stokes threatened Luke and said something along the lines of 'DB has plans for him'. I was hoping and expecting something better than 'he just wants to kill him'
    It did nothing for me, but it did for you, so there you go different strokes.

I did enjoy the Hammer tech (really wish they'd get Rockwell back somehow) although as mentioned I was disappointed that it ended with two guys beating on each other (especially when
    all Luke had to do was smash/rip off the power source on DB's back
    . The Serpent Society means nothing to me as I've never read the comics.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I think I can't get past, after a couple years of nuanced, complicated, interesting villains that Luke Cage reverts to one of the oldest tricks in the superhero book
    the insane brother.
    It was like watching a superhero film from the 90's, the way it was portrayed.

I do have to stress though that I enjoyed Luke Cage waaaay more than most other crap I've seen on TV, it's just that the competition (both DC and Marvel) have such high water marks on TV when they're good.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,279 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,137 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Watching the finale tonight. Thought it was a bit flat for the first few episodes. The second half of the season is a big improvement so far and I like the idea of
    switching the villains. Diamondback is a great villain though the twist was a bit weak. The Judas bullets added a nice dimension in that we get to see Cage's powers act against him as well.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭steve_r

I couldn't get into JJ, finished Luke Cage recently. I think the acting is good but the writing is poor, both in terms of plot and really naff dialogue at times.

The scene where Misty was being interviewed was particularly bad for clunky exposition dialogue.

I prefered Daredevil becuase the surrounding world seemed to be a lot more coherent. A lot of time was spent on the local positics in Luke Cage and it didn't really work for me. There was no real media/journalistic personalities challenging anything that was going on.

As regards Diamondback and Cottenmouth, I actually thought they were both good villans in terms of being actual characters. Contrast with say X-Men Apocolpse where it's just an overpowered bad guy.

Marvel Has Plans for Possible Ghost Rider Netflix Series or Movie

http://comicbook.com/2016/11/09/ghost-rider-netflix-series-gabriel-luna/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Ben Gadot

Strange that they'd shift gears like that given they introduced him outside of Netflix, but whatever gets me closer to a Blade show on Netflix I'll take. If GR opens the door to the supernatural side then I'm all for it.

Ugh.... no interest in seeing a Robbie Reyes Ghost Rider show or movie. Give me (a well written version of) Johnny Blaze or give me death!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Great news, seemed to be the more divisive Netflix / Marvel show but it was the better of the four so far for me. Could probably do with being a touch shorter, Netflix need to start hiring better editors

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

finished luke cage last really enjoyed it. it would be behind jj and daredevil for me but i think it needed to be a few episodes shorter.

C1_LSNiUUAACDAt.jpg

New trailer for Iron Fist.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Huh. That's the first Marvel'flix trailer I've seen that hasn't grabbed me. Very underwhelming, and were it not for the pedigree of previous efforts & the Marvel branding overall, I'd give it the show a pass.

I can't be objective tbh. I don't really watch trailers so I don't know how that stacks up. It doesn't give much away, except a seemingly changed version of the origin... But I *love* Iron Fist so I'm all in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,533 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

I can't be objective tbh. I don't really watch trailers so I don't know how that stacks up. It doesn't give much away, except a seemingly changed version of the origin... But I *love* Iron Fist so I'm all in.

Awful whiff of Arrow of that trailer. Which wouldn't be all that bad, as long as we don't go to the Island.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Yeah the trailer wasn't like .. as hypey? as I remember the others

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Awful whiff of Arrow of that trailer. Which wouldn't be all that bad, as long as we don't go to the Island.

Is the mystical city of K'un L'un okay...?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭eyeball kid

Iron Fist will be out next Friday, St Patricks day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Ben Gadot

It's getting a mauling by critics who have seen the first 6 episodes.

The ironic thing is that the reviews have actually made me want to watch it now when previously I wasn't pushed based on casting and what we had seen.

Mainly my issue was Finn as I wasn't sure he could carry the role having watched him in GoT. Sure enough one of the criticisms aimed at the show is his lack of charisma.

I'll give it a go as most of the criticisms I've read wouldn't bother me on the surface. I mean what some find boring I find interesting, but if the lead struggles it's always a bad start.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Here we go

When's season 3 of daredevil back love dare devil think they really got it right watched half of Luke cage but just couldn't get into it like dd

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Here we go wrote: »
    When's season 3 of daredevil back love dare devil think they really got it right watched half of Luke cage but just couldn't get into it like dd

Sometime in 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭Varik

What's the general feeling on Iron fist, will it be the first big miss step. Personally hoping it's good, as I'd like more mystic/magic in the MCU.

Hope the reviews and all the hate is because it falls on the wrong side of the PC line, and I get a binge before going out Friday.
    Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Sometime in 2018.

If Skynet hasn't killed us all.

When I see dates with 2020+ on them it's nuts.

• Advertisement

Varik wrote: »
    What's the general feeling on Iron fist, will it be the first big miss step. Personally hoping it's good, as I'd like more mystic/magis in the MCU.

Hope the reviews and all the hate is because it falls on the wrong side of the PC line, and I get a binge before going out Friday.

In fairness, a lot of the negative reviews have also cited poor characters and limp action. Remains to be seen when I watch it myself, but many have openly said it just lacks the style and substance of the other Netflix shows.

Advertisement