Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

AIG requiring NCT/Engineer's report on classics

• 12-01-2017 12:01pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Heard on the grapevine, industry level, that this is going to happen.

No longer will classic death traps be allowed to participate in
    social and domestic motoring.

Nct testing or otherwise is going to be the order of the day, if you
    want to drive your classic. And it doesn,t matter what year it is.
    Pre 80 included.

No doubt heaps of rust buckets will now hit donedeal by the score.

I feel safer already:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,790 ✭✭✭✭cormie

And here I was on the lookout for a pre 1980 car to avoid the hassle of an NCT :pac:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

Will the tests for these cars be restricted in some way? How do you test a 1960's Mercedes for example on emissions/braking/suspension etc, it will never be comparable to a modern car.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

I shall be interested to see what they make of my 1930 Duesenberg Model J Walker La Grande Torpedo Phaeton. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭davo2001

Source?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I'll believe it when an official source confirms it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,073 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Any stats on how many classics were involved in serious crashes or deaths, I don't recall any major incidents featuring in the media at any time.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

One type of confirmation is when your insurance company asks for an NCT or engineers report,
    same thing now, before they will offer cover for your classic, that needed no report last year.

Second confirmation could be that the engineers report has to come from a SQI, and not the local
    back alley greasemonkey.

And third level of confirmation is that its a new policy by insurers across the board.

And finally...................who have the government been meeting in the last weeks trying
    to reduce yur insurance costs.......

It's meaningless. If they're testing pre 1980 cars they'll have to be tested to manufacturers standards at the time of manufacture.
    Post your source.

Source......try insuring a classic now.....without an NCT or engineers report.

Short answer is you cant, ergo testing in some shape or form is compulsory.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,790 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Can you even NCT a pre 1980 car now though? You can't just show up to NCT centre to NCT a car without an invitation?

Maybe it's just insurers imposing their own rules as a way to cut out a certain market they deem "outside of their risk appetite", the usual ****e.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

cormie wrote: »
    Can you even NCT a pre 1980 car now though?

You can and always have been able to do a voluntary one. Nearly nobody does.

http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/motors/should-classic-cars-be-immune-from-nct-tests-1.1265856

I think the official figures are around about 100 done this way. (Can't find the exact figures yet, but I think most of them were PCV / wedding car sort of things)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

Slightly OT but related as it's do with actual EU mandatory testing rather than "backdoor" mandatory testing by insurers.

Member States can do what they like for historic vehicles.

They can test them, or they can exempt them.
    Member States also have the right to exclude from the requirement to undergo compulsory roadworthiness testing certain vehicles that are considered to be of historic interest. They may also establish their own testing standards for such vehicles provided they do not lead to the application of stricter standards than those which the vehicles concerned were originally designed to meet. (RSA - VINTAGE VEHICLES Public Consultation Vehicle Standards October 2014)

Article 2.2

Member States may exclude the following vehicles registered in their territory from the scope of application of this Directive:

vehicles operated or used in exceptional conditions and vehicles which are never, or hardly ever, used on public roads, such as vehicles of historical interest or competition vehicles;
    Article 3.7

‘vehicle of historical interest’ means any vehicle which is considered to be historical by the Member State of registration or one of its appointed authorising bodies and which fulfils all the following conditions:
    — it was manufactured or registered for the first time at least 30 years ago;
    — its specific type, as defined in the relevant Union or national law, is no longer in production;
    — it is historically preserved and maintained in its original state and has not undergone substantial changes in the technical characteristics of its main components;

Member States have wiggle room on the above and can interpret what is and isn't original (e.g. Austin 7 specials which were modified a long time back and preserved that way could be treated differently to a 1970s car with a new body hammered over the top of it) but they can't just give an exemption on age alone.

I can see some distinction being made between daily drivers and occasional use cars.
    Article 23.1

Member States shall adopt and publish, by 20 May 2017, the laws, regulations and administrative measures necessary to comply with this Directive. They shall immediately inform the Commission thereof.
    They shall apply those measures from 20 May 2018.

Member States have to apply the rules from 2018, but they need to set out their stall a year before, so time is running short.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭millington

Just off the phone with Axa. Mentioned this and he hadn't a clue what I was on about. :confused:

millington wrote: »
    Just off the phone with Axa. Mentioned this and he hadn't a clue what I was on about. :confused:

Did you get a quote for a pre 80 classic, were you asked for an engineers report or NCT?

What exactly did you ask him?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭millington

kadman wrote: »
    Did you get a quote for a pre 80 classic, were you asked for an engineers report or NCT?

What exactly did you ask him?

No but I insured a 1986 classic which is out of NCT as it is off the road and there was no questions asked. He never mentioned NCT until I brought up the story from this thread and he hadn't heard of anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭DakarVert

I hate these types of threads.... Word will get out and people will quote it as fact for the next 6months. :(

Is their any actual proof or did you just speak to someone awkward when trying to get insurance? :)

It was a request for an NCT or engineers test form , for a classic car renewal that was on cover last year.

And the affirmation that this is a new thing thats requested by insurance under writers.

I cant supply any more proof, without kidnapping the insurance agent and water boarding him.

What proof will the insurance give you..........surely refusal to insure without the test docs is

proof enough??

Quote from e mail reply,

This is a relatively new thing. XXXXXXXXXXX have recently introduced this, either
    NCT or an engineer's report for the

End quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Neilw

Short answer is you cant, ergo testing in some shape or form is compulsory.

I insured a car yesterday with no questions asked about nct or an engineers report, it was an 84 car.

Neilw wrote: »
    I insured a car yesterday with no questions asked about nct or an engineers report, it was an 84 car.

Was it a classic policy??

• Advertisement

Was it a classic policy??

Yes.

Yes.

Nice one.

Yesterday I was asked for nct or engineers report for a 74 car that was on cover last year, along with an 87 vintage vehicle. 87 one is DOE,d.

Car is mechanically tip top, body could do with a bit of tidying, but I wont be doing it this year due to other projects.

Apparently its as new thing from AIG

Insurance methods dont need to impose your car for an nct.

Its already law for an 84 car.

My car was 74 , hence the possible underhand method of forcing
    testing on my car, that at the moment does not need a test.

Dont get me wrong, I think all 2 ton metal objects travelling on the road need testing.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,190 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Are there any proper statistics re. the number of accidents caused by pre 1980 non tested vehicles.

Insurance methods dont need to impose your car for an nct.

Its already law for an 84 car.

My car was 74 , hence the possible underhand method of forcing
    testing on my car, that at the moment does not need a test.

Dont get me wrong, I think all 2 ton metal objects travelling on the road need testing.

I had a 79 on the policy too, never a word about tests or engineer reports.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

macplaxton wrote: »
    You can and always have been able to do a voluntary one. Nearly nobody does.

http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/motors/should-classic-cars-be-immune-from-nct-tests-1.1265856

I think the official figures are around about 100 done this way. (Can't find the exact figures yet, but I think most of them were PCV / wedding car sort of things)

Any vehicle regardless of age if it's being used for hire or reward (PSV) must by law have an Nct and a suitability test.

So this is not a government department mandated change to the NCT system for cars registered before 1980, or a new certification needed by an engineer for classic/vintage motors. It's just something one insurance company requested from you.
    Glad we cleared it up.

TherapyBoy wrote: »
    So this is not a government department mandated change to the NCT system for cars registered before 1980, or a new certification needed by an engineer for classic/vintage motors. It's just something one insurance company requested from you.
    Glad we cleared it up.

Scaremongering.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,190 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Glad to see that clarified.

The only thing that gets a lot of people through the Winter is the thought that come Spring there will be lots of Morris Minors, VW Beetles, Ford Anglias etc etc out and about at shows and on runs giving lots of pleasure to owners and the public as well as raising funds for charitable causes.

Long may they prosper without the dead hand of so called safety measures.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

Short answer is you cant, ergo testing in some shape or form is compulsory.[/QUOTE

Scaremongering again, must be the new year. No problem insuring a classic without nct and there is no immediate plans to change the laws. Enjoy your hobby:P:P:P

Advertisement