Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Things said in Ireland that no one says in England

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

bodhi085 wrote: »
    Being an English fella here for 15 years now and I went to a club the first week of moving over and some girl said "sorry" as she stood there waiting to get past. Had me baffled. Now I've been here that long that I'm always saying Irish sayings like that. My family in the uk would be wondering the stuff I come out with on Skype. Runners (trainers) rashers (bacon) bye bye bye!!!

Ah you're grand!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,820 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Out with a bunch of English lads this weekend. They do a whip!

It's basically a kitty, but I've never heard of a whip before.... Maybe makes sense though, I presume it comes from whip around

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

Irish - Hair bobbin
    English - Hair band

When it's raining
    Irish - it's lashing outside
    English - It's pissing outside

Irish - Buzzing
    I'm not sure what the English equivalent is.

I use more of the English phrases only some of the irish phrases.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Irish - Hair bobbin
    English - Hair band

Are they not two different things?

A bobbin is used to tie hair back in a ponytail whereas a band is used to pull the hair back away from the forehead

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

FunLover18 wrote: »
    Are they not two different things?

A bobbin is used to tie hair back in a ponytail whereas a band is used to pull the hair back away from the forehead

English say hair band for the ones you tie the hair back too I've always said hair band an all my English mates say the same. I used to have no idea what a bobbin was.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

McGaggs wrote: »
    Never heard it and only ever seen it written on boards.ie

Very common in the West of Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭piuswal

Seve OB wrote: »
    Out with a bunch of English lads this weekend. They do a whip!

It's basically a kitty, but I've never heard of a whip before.... Maybe makes sense though, I presume it comes from whip around

a "whip (a)round"

to generate a fund for various options

set up a kitty

to help/support someone, friend or otherwise

• Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭tac foley

Another thing my dad used to say, about something that was in a very poor state of repair, that it was 'hanging to pieces'.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 11,194 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Ireland - Runners
    Rest of the World - Trainers/Sneakers

Ireland - Gimme that yoke
    England - ???

Ireland - I will in me hole
    England - No, I will not do that

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭lardarse

I`m originally from over the Irish sea, and was living down in London with my Irish girlfriend, her teenage sister came over to stay with us for a few weeks. We where walking down the road one day, when she stopped dead in the street and burst out laughing. So i asked her whats up? She pointed at the side of a mini bus, which read "dial-a-ride" which in london at the time was a service to take the old folks to hospital appointments and the like. She was thinking London had some very liberal sex laws.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,906 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I was chatting with a woman yesterday who described two people as being ‘very great’ meaning close friends. I don’t know if it’s an old timey expression or a country expression but I’ve never heard it in England.

I lit up when I heard it. Love that description of friends!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,012 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I seem to remember it as an old expression my mother would have used occasionally in the north of England. I'm not absolutely sure though, it may come back to me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

I was chatting with a woman yesterday who described two people as being ‘very great’ meaning close friends. I don’t know if it’s an old timey expression or a country expression but I’ve never heard it in England.

I lit up when I heard it. Love that description of friends!

I haven't hear that expression in years. I love it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

Ireland: I was sitting.
    England: I was sat.

Ireland: I was standing.
    England: I was stood.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

My ex is English. Sometimes I would finish my sentences with the word 'so', like OK so....she'd say 'so'? 'So what?

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭larko

I've been working with an English guy for 2 years now. He's been having good fun with us and our words. Last week it was "cough bottle" he thought this was a good one.

He still cant get some of the Irish names though. I can see the Fr Dougal look on his face when someone says an Irish name.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

'he fell down on the FLOOR' when it's outside ---- it's ' the ground '!!!, in fairness thats just a bit dopey by them .

• Registered Users Posts: 28,012 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Oops69 wrote: »
    'he fell down on the FLOOR' when it's outside ---- it's ' the ground '!!!, in fairness thats just a bit dopey by them .

No, that's just, as you say, dopey, most people would say ground, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭George White

Irish - Hair bobbin
    English - Hair band

When it's raining
    Irish - it's lashing outside
    English - It's pissing outside

Irish - Buzzing
    I'm not sure what the English equivalent is.

I use more of the English phrases only some of the irish phrases.
    Buzzing is bull****ting, isn't it? Only heard "buzzing" last year from an eejit builder who was going on about how the place he was working was going to be a strip club or some ****e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.
    Yes, I think the usage I'm using is possibly Dublin-centric.
    "Why are you saying such ****e?"
    "I'm only buzzing."
    "Buzzing?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Yes, I think the usage I'm using is possibly Dublin-centric.
    "Why are you saying such ****e?"
    "I'm only buzzing."
    "Buzzing?"
    As in messing around or being facetious?

As in messing around or being facetious?
    Yes, I'm not sure if messing itself is Irish only, though, I used to, but then I remembered Kenneth Williams saying "stop messin' about!" but I think Irish just tend to drop the about.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

de dubs 'do be buzzin of each udder' all de toime , in that sense it means getting on well together whether its recreational or working together .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

If I went back through all the posts I would probably find it has already been mentioned, "I was sat"instead of "I was sitting","I was stood" instead of "I was standing".English people showing their brilliant grammar skills with their own language.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I love the way some in the UK add an R when there are two vowels following each other. Scratching my head to think of an example, but let's say Emma Ellis. It can turn into Emmar Ellis.

Re going for the messages, I also would love to know the etymology of that one! I read upthread that it was connected with going to the post office for telegraph messages and picking up a few bits in the shop whilst there, or writing a message to the shopkeeper for the illiterate maid to pick up for the Lady of the Manor.

I was reading a book recently based in Scotland and one of the characters kept mentioning going to the shops for "Comestibles" Now I wonder if the "mes" in that word morphed into messages. The phrase is used in Scotland AFAIK. Although it's a long shot.

Anyway I had to look up the word comestible, I had never come across it used in everyday speak up to then. For shame.

There is also the Fetch, Shall, and Perhaps. We say Get, Will, and Maybe.

It is totally fascinating.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

lulu1 wrote: »
    Did anyone ever notice when they go to stay with friends/family in england that they would drink tea all day and nothing to eat with it..
    And to complicate matters, they call their dinner tea (which mostly doesn't include a cup of tea).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

lardarse wrote: »
    I`m originally from over the Irish sea, and was living down in London with my Irish girlfriend, her teenage sister came over to stay with us for a few weeks. We where walking down the road one day, when she stopped dead in the street and burst out laughing. So i asked her whats up? She pointed at the side of a mini bus, which read "dial-a-ride" which in london at the time was a service to take the old folks to hospital appointments and the like. She was thinking London had some very liberal sex laws.

lol. On a trip to Galway once I saw an attractive young female backpacker (looked american) thumbing with a small bunch of flowers and a sign that said 'a flower for a ride' :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Mutant z

Whats the craig saying that to an English person will give you strange looks.

Advertisement