Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Beauty with Scrappage hanging over its head

• 07-01-2017 10:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭

Jeez this made me shudder, I feel like i'm on a lost dog appeal to save it. This scrappage thing really irks me, why our government can not offer a system where the cars entered for scrappage into a scheme here people under a certain income threhold can swap them for their own bangers, i dont know!

look at this beauty like:

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2000-mercedes-c220-cdi-price-before-scrappage/14016208

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭voz es

I had better say this car has absolutely nothing to do with me

• Registered Users Posts: 33,548 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Blame tax. Simple as that. Single handed destroying the planet with making cars have an expiry date..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,354 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

And the Irish 'green' party had their hands all over this agenda 2007-2010.

Tax the hell out of servicable old petrol engined cars while promoting new diesel cars.

The Irish government in setting motor tax policy cares more for the car manufactures of france, germany, and south korea than it does about it's motoring public. It was supposed to be reduce, REUSE, recycle wasn't it.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,684 ✭✭✭✭unkel

The owner is being a drama queen. No way that car is going to be scrapped. No way it is worth anywhere near €2k either with an NCT that short...

• Registered Users Posts: 73,379 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Yes if he wanted it to find it a home that badly he'd ask less.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Notch000

he probably getting 4K trad in on the new model so 2k is not too unrealistic ot ask

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Weren't Merc's of that era giant balls of scrap though? My mate had nearly that exact same model and practically everything went wrong with it (as well as rusting like a 70's FIAT)

But your original point still stands loads of nice cars being scrapped :mad:

Rust rust rust and apart from the odd injector washer and smart key issue they are a workhorse. The 203 that replaced it was a real ball of scrap... :mad:

Not a hope it's worth near what he's asking, despite how clean it is. Tax is too high for most, too old and not overly fast (but a lovely drive with that box)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭voz es

Rust rust rust and apart from the odd injector washer and smart key issue they are a workhorse. The 203 that replaced it was a real ball of scrap... :mad:

Not a hope it's worth near what he's asking, despite how clean it is. Tax is too high for most, too old and not overly fast (but a lovely drive with that box)

I like the boxy shape of them and the ones that went before, I can think of old FIAT tractors they really rusted. Where there better Mercedes cars that went before that would be reasonably economical?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

voz es wrote: »
    Where there better Mercedes cars that went before that would be reasonably economical?
    Yes, any Diesel engined W201 or W124/S124 with manual gearbox would be a reasonably economical and better built.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,885 ✭✭✭selectamatic

The w202 is generally credited as being the last of the reliable Mercs. If going diesel the non cdi models would be a tad more robust/old school c250td being the pick of them.

The w210 e class was the beginning of the slide they rusted much worse than the w202 c-class funny enough early models of the w210 tended to be more reliable but that was largely down to them having less tech.

All the models after these two cars suffered lots of reliability and build quality issues.

The 2008 w204 c-class marked a return to better quality.

Regarding the w202 in question yer man's a dreamer end of story.

• Advertisement

The w202 is generally credited as being the last of the reliable Mercs. If going diesel the non cdi models would be a tad more robust/old school c250td being the pick of them.

The last c250td I was in had a million km on the clock :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

The owner gives you a nice flavour of what's to come too, callipers, wheel bearings, wiper motors and steering racks despite sounding like it's been rather well cared for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

That's a fairly well known tactic of trying to prompt interest in the car/something else for sale by suggesting otherwise it'll be scrapped/destroyed.

Looks like the car has been scrapped.

Or sold :p

Advertisement