Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Skiing/Riding accessories

• 09-01-2017 9:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭

Prompted by some discussion over backpacks in the 16/17 season thread (and that video), would be interested to hear what everyone rides with. Backpack, pocketfuls of mars bars etc.
    Personally, my jacket and pants have great pockets, so I don't wear a backpack. Usually have a spare lens in my jacket's goggle pocket that wraps around my ribs so it's not likely to break in a fall (and I've had a few hard ones over the years!).

Sometimes slip a small bottle of water in a pocket in my jacket too. Cargo pockets in my pants usually have a board tool (sometimes get paranoid about it being beside my knee and being metal, but never had an issue) and a bag of beef jerky. I find that if it's a good day, a piece or 2 of jerky on each lift, and keeping hydrated lets me go all day without stopping for lunch. Roughly $100 for a day ticket over here! If the weather is difficult, or expected to change, I will tuck a face/neck warmer and glove-liners in a pocket somewhere. Don't use gopro or anything so none of that to worry about. Lift tickets always in the same pocket and they live there for the season.

My situation is likely different form most on here as I drive 2 hours to my local resorts and do mostly day trips so it's not so much of a 'big excursion' and I know exactly what is available and where, if I need anything. Extra layers, some more food, water etc. stays in the car and is usually frozen by the time we get back to it.

Anyone got any interesting stuff they use or carry or find useful?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

I really don't like anything bulking out my pockets, so I only carry my phone, pass & card and cash in a small wallet. Carry a small, neat backpack with fleece, goggles, tissues, sun cream, lip balm, little bottles of Jägermeister etc. And erm, this year I'm bringing a portable breast pump. Am leaving the youngest nipper behind (she's gonna be nearly 7 months) but will need a pump to relieve the pressure if we hit après straight after the slopes. Last time I did this, I had to scarper off early to the hotel. Want to avoid that!

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭AlternateID

Airbag for the really good days filled with the usual and necessary kit. Regular pack for resort/piste days. I drink a lot of water too.

I carry a torch now. One trip we had an inexperience guy with us who broke his wrist early on but didn't tell anyone. His two boys were there also and I guess he didn't want to lose face. Minor fracture but it caused him enough discomfort to slow him down. He got lost twice but kept going. We were the last on the mountain with it getting very dark as we tried to bring him back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

olaola wrote: »
    little bottles of Jägermeister etc.
    :D

CardinalJ wrote: »
    :D

What else do you be doing on the chairlifts? :p
    A hip flask of Baileys is also pleasant...

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭masseyno9

I  this year I'm bringing a portable breast pump.
    Of all the things I expected to be listed, this was not one of them! Understandable though, and well done on your forward planning!

Also carry lip balm and sometimes sun screen. It's often cold enough here that my face is mostly covered and I only smush some lip balm on my exposed cheeks. I find it great as a barrier to the wind burn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

I travel very light! Only necessary stuff - phone, and bottle of water and lift pass. When it looks like it's going to be a nice day I throw the GoPro in a small backpack and wear that.

I like AlternateID's idea of a torch, might get a small one. Could be a lifesaver.

Might get a breast pump too. We'll see.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

And erm, this year I'm bringing a portable breast pump. Am leaving the youngest nipper behind (she's gonna be nearly 7 months) but will need a pump to relieve the pressure if we hit après straight after the slopes. Last time I did this, I had to scarper off early to the hotel. Want to avoid that!

Ha you and my wife will have some interesting stories after this season, except we are going to bring our (currently 1 month) 3 month old...

masseyno9 wrote: »
    Of all the things I expected to be listed, this was not one of them! Understandable though, and well done on your forward planning!

HA! I know, if you had told me 4 years ago that I would be bringing one, I'd have thrown an empty Jägermeister bottle at you :p ...How things change!
    cormee wrote: »
    Might get a breast pump too. We'll see.

Sure, no harm :pac:
    Rew wrote: »
    Ha you and my wife will have some interesting stories after this season, except we are going to bring our (currently 1 month) 3 month old...

Fair play! I think if our one was much younger I couldn't have left her behind for the week. This is our last year sans nippers, so gonna make it a big one :D Will start bringing them from next year on, himself will be 3 & 3/4, so perfect time to start him in ski school. Congrats on the new arrival too :) 3 months is a great time to bring the wee one on holidays, they're very portable at that stage.

Fair play! I think if our one was much younger I couldn't have left her behind for the week. This is our last year sans nippers, so gonna make it a big one :D Will start bringing them from next year on, himself will be 3 & 3/4, so perfect time to start him in ski school. Congrats on the new arrival too :) 3 months is a great time to bring the wee one on holidays, they're very portable at that stage.

Thanks this is our 1st year with the little terrorists so it will be 4yr old going to Piou Piou and 2.8 yr old and 3 month old going with a nanny for half days. Mom and Dad will have the craic with all 3 in the afternoons. Should be fun.

The 2.8 yr old would be well able for Piou Piou as well but only take them from 3.

Back on topic of bags. Last few years I have used a slim Camelbak (the MULE one). I carry a small amount of water in the bladder (and have an insulated tube cover and a cap on the mouth piece). In the bag I have sunglasses, warm hat, hips flask of whiskey or brandy GoPro stuff and a battery pack/charger. Im in 2 minds this year. Def don't want stuffed pockets but after doing some runs without the bag last year I have to say I noticed a difference (prob down to my bad habits though).

Thanks this is our 1st year with the little terrorists so it will be 4yr old going to Piou Piou and 2.8 yr old and 3 month old going with a nanny for half days. Mom and Dad will have the craic with all 3 in the afternoons. Should be fun.

Ah, sure you're old hat at this stage!! Where you off to? And how did you organise the Nanny? We're looking to do something similar next year. Possibly, should start up a separate thread about skiing with nippers...

• Advertisement

Ah, sure you're old hat at this stage!! Where you off to? And how did you organise the Nanny? We're looking to do something similar next year. Possibly, should start up a separate thread about skiing with nippers...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=101435077

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭masseyno9

Thanks this is our 1st year with the little terrorists so it will be 4yr old going to Piou Piou and 2.8 yr old and 3 month old going with a nanny for half days.  Mom and Dad will have the craic with all 3 in the afternoons.  Should be fun.

Nippers can be classed as accessories, I supopose! 

I'm usually a boarder, but have a pair of skis too that get a run out from time to time. Had the fiance's nephew out last year, doing the whole snowplough with poles straight across my body, him standing in between holding onto them. Well the little pup leaned over and dangled off the poles the whole way down, so I was crouched over, snowploughing away while carrying a dead weight. He enjoyed it more than I did, but he was sent back to the nursery slope to learn his snowplough! Good workout though.

These guys are hooking us up. We got a response within 24h and she seems great. We have her contact info and will call/skype to interview and get to know her.

http://www.alpine-child-care.co.uk/nannies/info

These guys are hooking us up. We got a response within 24h and she seems great. We have her contact info and will call/skype to interview and get to know her.

http://www.alpine-child-care.co.uk/nannies/info

Cheers! Great, thanks for that. Good to know you can get services like this! I need to do a spot of research.

Advertisement