Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Protecting windows when plastering

• 08-01-2017 8:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Hi all!
    Getting ready for plastering this week, hopefully!! Just wondering if anyone has any tips for protecting the window frames and glass while the plastering is goin on? The windows are cream UPVC!
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

mjj wrote: »
    Hi all!
    Getting ready for plastering this week, hopefully!! Just wondering if anyone has any tips for protecting the window frames and glass while the plastering is goin on? The windows are cream UPVC!
    Thanks!

Cling film, masking tape, plastic sheeting etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭SC024

Ill send you a link in private message

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭B-D-P--

Do you take the original protective tape off the frames when they arrive?

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭joebloggs123

If doing the exterior, put plenty of sand on the sills to protect them. Anything that falls on the sills will just brush off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭db

If you have plastic tape on the window frames leave it on. I left the tape on my windows until after i had finished painting and then just ran a scalpel down the side and peeled the tape off. Saved time masking the windows for painting and left a very neat finish.
    My window supplier put a plastic sheet on all my windows inside and out to protect them from plaster. This had a light adhesive on it and just peeled off when the work was finished. You could ask your window supplier if they have any of this plastic sheeting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭tedimc

Check out this stuff: http://www.protectapeel.co.uk/

I have it on my windows and doors inside for 1 year or so now. Plasterer starting next month - after which I will spray everything white and then remove the film. Pricey stuff though - 100 euros or so a 15kg bucket and I needed two. But goes on easy (paint or spray) and peels off like cling film.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,382 ✭✭✭✭listermint

tedimc wrote: »
    Check out this stuff: http://www.protectapeel.co.uk/

I have it on my windows and doors inside for 1 year or so now. Plasterer starting next month - after which I will spray everything white and then remove the film. Pricey stuff though - 100 euros or so a 15kg bucket and I needed two. But goes on easy (paint or spray) and peels off like cling film.

thats some money when tape and sheets would do the same job.

Fully agree, but I doubt tape and sheets would be still on the windows.

It also only took me less than 1 hour to spray them - I would have been a full day taping and sheeting them.

Also - no sticky residue to clean off.

But you are correct wrt the OP, since he/she will likely only need this for a short time.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭JimmyMW

Fully agree, but I doubt tape and sheets would be still on the windows.

It also only took me less than 1 hour to spray them - I would have been a full day taping and sheeting them.

Also - no sticky residue to clean off.

But you are correct wrt the OP, since he/she will likely only need this for a short time.

What type of windows did you apply this spray to, and how long was it on for? A commercial window guy I work with said to me that this stuff is impossible to get off of the windows, especially if the sun bakes it on, id be interested to hear about your experiences

JimmyMW wrote: »
    What type of windows did you apply this spray to, and how long was it on for? A commercial window guy I work with said to me that this stuff is impossible to get off of the windows, especially if the sun bakes it on, id be interested to hear about your experiences

I sprayed it onto a white PVC frame and the glass.

I can't remember when exactly, but the windows are definitely sprayed over a year with it now. The couple of places I did have to remove it (strip around frames for plasterboard to butt up to) came off no problem just a few weeks back.

I did notice that the first couple of windows I sprayed had some very heavy and light patches. The very thin layers may be harder to get off, but I have a good coat on most of them so should be ok.

Is the window guy thinking of that blue film that you roll on? It can bake in alright but it says on it that it should only be used for 1 week or so. I have used it also when painting a house outside and it is great too, but you have to pull it off within a day or two.

To be honest - it was a no brainer for me, even if it is hard to get off, its still going to be a hell of a lot easier than skites of plaster, paint, etc. It also provides a decent amount of protection against scratches from small items, dust, etc.

I'm actually going to order another tub in a day or two - my door frames need to go in before the plasterer starts so I want to protect them.

• Advertisement

I sprayed it onto a white PVC frame and the glass.

I can't remember when exactly, but the windows are definitely sprayed over a year with it now. The couple of places I did have to remove it (strip around frames for plasterboard to butt up to) came off no problem just a few weeks back.

I did notice that the first couple of windows I sprayed had some very heavy and light patches. The very thin layers may be harder to get off, but I have a good coat on most of them so should be ok.

Is the window guy thinking of that blue film that you roll on? It can bake in alright but it says on it that it should only be used for 1 week or so. I have used it also when painting a house outside and it is great too, but you have to pull it off within a day or two.

To be honest - it was a no brainer for me, even if it is hard to get off, its still going to be a hell of a lot easier than skites of plaster, paint, etc. It also provides a decent amount of protection against scratches from small items, dust, etc.

I'm actually going to order another tub in a day or two - my door frames need to go in before the plasterer starts so I want to protect them.

Ya he mentioned that blue plastic also, however he was definitely referring top the spray on stuff. Where my concern is that i have a sandy texture on my windows and doors, i feel the spray on stuff may be murder to get it off of these frames as it would essentially have a key to grip, I would expect it to sale off of the white smooth uPVC. Where did you purchase it?

I see what you mean - is it a PVC window or some other material?

I'm not sure if it would make a significant difference, they have videos of them spraying it on concrete floors, etc which would also give it a key. If it's on in line with the required thickness it should still pull off I would have thought.

I bought it from the protectapeel website themselves - I think I rang them and they emailed me the quotation. They have the usual warnings about trying it on a hidden corner first. They may send you a sample pot to try. It's fully dry in a few hours so you would know after a day or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭exaisle

Get the protective plastic off the windows as soon as you can. If you don't the UV rays from sunlight will bond them to the glass and you'll have to use a goddamn awful solvent to get them off....and it'll take you ages...(voice of bitter experience here!)

I see what you mean - is it a PVC window or some other material?

I'm not sure if it would make a significant difference, they have videos of them spraying it on concrete floors, etc which would also give it a key. If it's on in line with the required thickness it should still pull off I would have thought.

I bought it from the protectapeel website themselves - I think I rang them and they emailed me the quotation. They have the usual warnings about trying it on a hidden corner first. They may send you a sample pot to try. It's fully dry in a few hours so you would know after a day or so.

Thanks I might try a sample pot on something first, Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Frozen Veg

anyone else tried the protective spray for Windows?

Advertisement