Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

We Need A Little Christmas Now

• 09-01-2017 5:52pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Now that we are officially out of season, what are things we can do to keep the spirit of Christmas alive?

One idea I heard today was watch old Christmas Ads on YouTube all the old classics, or perhaps add fairy lights to your house to give it that Christmassy glow.

Maybe light a Christmas scented candle to fill your house with lovely Christmassy smells. What ideas or things to you do to give yourself a little bit of Christmas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,793 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

As long as the lights etc dont have santas on them... leave the candles out and the lights and the holly and the ivy for the rest of winter / yule.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

You could start a tradition of doing something Christmassy on the 25th of every month (like and annual advent calendar) e.g. Listen to Christmas songs, watch a Christmas movie.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

kitten_k wrote: »
    You could start a tradition of doing something Christmassy on the 25th of every month (like and annual advent calendar) e.g. Listen to Christmas songs, watch a Christmas movie.

Great idea kitten_k. i love the idea of watching a Christmas movie on the 25th of each month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Crazyteacher

I made vanilla Christmas shaped cookies today . The house smells yummy. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

freezing conditions for thur & fri....might bring a late xmas feel

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

philstar wrote: »
    freezing conditions for thur & fri....might bring a late xmas feel

Frost and snow always gives me the Christmas feeling.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭xDisneyDivax

I will keep burning winter magic oil every night! Smells so Christmassy and cosy!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭milli milli

I have lots of twinkly lights around my house. I initially put them up one Christmas but decided to leave them up as I loved how they looked.
    When people come to visit, they love the 'Christmassy' atmosphere.

It would be nice to have some kind of Yule/winter celebration as another mentioned.
    People are always giving out about Winter, but it's my favourite season. The light in Winter is beautiful, the cosiness, the bare trees, the warm fires, the whole hibernation feeling, the potential for snow!

People are always giving out about Winter, but it's my favourite season. The light in Winter is beautiful, the cosiness, the bare trees, the warm fires, the whole hibernation feeling, the potential for snow!

Same. I love winter for all of those reasons. And we've been very lucky this winter with the weather we've gotten so far. Very little rain. Wish it was colder I miss seeing frost everywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭B00!

Love the twinkle lights idea! And with online christmas radio year-round, we can choose our favourite genre and relax to christmas tune-age whenever. It is fun to read Christmas novels and watch vids year-round, innit? I used to start making cards and gifts in January, back when my list was very long; or when I wanted to make special gift for someone, like a quilt for my grandad.

I thought it would be cool once, to practice carols on guitar (or piano) year-round so that when Christmastime came, I would be ready to perform (as background music for shoppers), or go caroling with a group, or sing at church.

Oooh, we could check out Christmas pinterest 'n try out some of the ideas before next season. :) Perfect a skill maybe, like making gingerbread houses (I never done that).
    :D I forgot all about Rudolph Day kitten_k! thank you!

• Advertisement

Yes the twinkly lights are very doable.
    In summer they sell twinkly lights for outdoor barbecues or even the solar-powered ones for outside.
    It's really lovely to see them all year round.

Loughc wrote: »

Wow looks delish!! Do let us know how it tastes! I'm actually in two minds whether to buy a slow cooker or not!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

I still have some Christmas movies recorded from Christmas 24 - which was handy as I was off sick for a couple of days last week, so I was able to cosy up and watch them.

I still have some Christmas Cake and Pudding that I'm enjoying too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

I have xmas lights on all year round,I have them run along the top of all my kitchen units and turn them on every evening,they give a nice glow up the wall and across the ceiling(multi colour lights)

Don't forget it's the 25th!!
    Although it might be hard watching a Christmas movie on what was the hottest day of the year!! :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,520 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I was in the shops today and saw a couple of potential Christmas presents... must have been the 25th vibe!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,794 ✭✭✭Jude13

I caould do with a Christmas movie tonight except I forgot my hard drive. Struggling with looong days and missing team due to ramadan in KSA. Can't wait for my flight tomorrow night.

There's allot of fairy lights up here so it does have a weird resemblance to christmas. I think I will just youtube christmas vacation moments tonight instead.

Judes, would the likes of Netflix be any good?

Judes, would the likes of Netflix be any good?

I am blaming long hours and lack of sleep for not thinking of that. I have a UK vpn so I hope there is some Christmas movies. I'm excited now. Night planned. Gym, room service and Christmas movie
    !!

• Advertisement

How long are your days Jude? Do you start early and finish up for a few hours in the afternoon and then back in the evening?

For staff here in KSA its 10-4 officially, yesterday was a 7:30 ish to 11:30pm. Mainly meetings about meetings then preparing for the next meeting, then the week is gone and everyone wonders why the actual deliverable work wasn't done so more meetings are arranged to discuss it.

But heck it pays for Christmas.

Usually 10-12 hour days, much like most private sector.

Oh I thought there was a break in the afternoon for Ramadan?

Jude13 wrote: »
    I am blaming long hours and lack of sleep for not thinking of that. I have a UK vpn so I hope there is some Christmas movies. I'm excited now. Night planned. Gym, room service and Christmas movie
    !!

Glad to be of service! ;) Enjoy!! Was thinking that your work schedule sounds intense..

Oh I thought there was a break in the afternoon for Ramadan?

Nope, not here, 10-4pm although those hours are extremely flexible if fasting. In Dubai its 8-4 for those non fasting, with a usual lunchtime, there are places that deliver there. However, its reduced hours, once our fee forecasts are not affected and client expectations are met. So in reality its no change. So I need to get off here!!

Word hard. Think of your treat for this evening :)

Watched the Grand tour Christmas special last night, it wasn't Christmassy at all. Not quite as bad as a Very Murray Christmas though

I wanted to see a that. Shame, Bill Murray is usually very funny.

I thought it was complete pants. I love Murray but it was terrible, no Christmas spirit at all. Clooney's cameo is cringey.

• Advertisement
Advertisement