Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

An Irish Christmas

• 08-01-2017 11:26pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I came across the hashtag #irishchristmas on Instagram tonight and it got me thinking, what are things that are exclusively Irish at Christmas time.

What traditions do we have here that no other country have?

The late late toy show and the RTE Christmas guide are two things I can think of.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Sprouts for dinner.

Selection boxes, and boxes of sweets.

My aunt can't get them in the states.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,786 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I think sprouts and selection boxes are shared with british though but not our american cousins.

Spiced beef?
    12 pubs?

A lot of the old irish traditions like december 8th christmas shopping are fading.

Do wren boys still appear on stephens day?
    Nollaig na mBan?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,130 ✭✭✭screamer

Buying overpriced tayto in a box cause that's what you do even though the plastic multipack bags are cheaper..........

A public live crib in city centre?

Midnight mass thats not at midnight?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,601 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Lighting a candle in a front window at sunset on Christmas Eve. This is a sign of hospitality to travellers and strangers. Other countries don't do it, it is a uniquely Irish Christmas tradition.

i am touched by how many still DO do it...and saddened that so many forget this kindly and appropriate gesture.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

The candle arch in the front window
    Horse races on Stephen's Day

Advertisement