Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

So... you're from the Southside....

14567810»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

Born and reared in "The Farm", the best games of football were the "gate matches" that went on all day, it's no wonder we produced so many good goalscorers given how small the gates (goals) were, real goals looked huge!!!.
    Now living in Leopardstown, got worried about the global warming so moved up the hill a bit. I will never forget the look of horror on my new neighbours face when they asked me, shortly after they had moved in at the height of the Celtic Tiger boom what the correct postal address was and when I said "Blackrock" they said.............."not Foxrock Dublin 18 then" .......priceless !!!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Born and reared in "The Farm", the best games of football were the "gate matches" that went on all day, it's no wonder we produced so many good goalscorers given how small the gates (goals) were, real goals looked huge!!!.
    Now living in Leopardstown, got worried about the global warming so moved up the hill a bit. I will never forget the look of horror on my new neighbours face when they asked me, shortly after they had moved in at the height of the Celtic Tiger boom what the correct postal address was and when I said "Blackrock" they said.............."not Foxrock Dublin 18 then" .......priceless !!!!

From the flats originally, man some interesting times there, but spent a lot of my time in the avenue (Oliver plunkett) and in St Patricks crescent playing gates aswell :pac:

Move to OP road, then abbey road, then tallaght, then back to kill avenue, then foxrock and now permanely relocating to Clonkeen Road tomorrow
    and just for anyone wondering its Blackrock and not Deansgrange, not sure how they locals have managed that tbh!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

From the flats originally, man some interesting times there, but spent a lot of my time in the avenue (Oliver plunkett) and in St Patricks crescent playing gates aswell :pac:

Move to OP road, then abbey road, then tallaght, then back to kill avenue, then foxrock and now permanely relocating to Clonkeen Road tomorrow
    and just for anyone wondering its Blackrock and not Deansgrange, not sure how they locals have managed that tbh!!

Saw an advert recently for a house up for sale in "Shankill Dublin 18"...gotta love those estate agents !!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

Saw an advert recently for a house up for sale in "Shankill Dublin 18"...gotta love those estate agents !!!!

Well

An Post classes Shankill as Dublin 18.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,240 ✭✭✭✭ted1

It has being D18 for a number of years. Killiney and Dun laoighre are Co.Dublin /A96

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,646 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

originally from wexico, have lived on the southside for 18 years now,

Donnybrook & Booterstown during college

Then Blackrock for the last 12 years,

now relocating to Dalkey

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

relocating to Clonkeen Road tomorrow
    an post say the address to be used is

clonkeen road
    deansgrange
    blackrock
    co dublin

http://correctaddress.anpost.ie/

I like this site, whether you agree with the listings or not if people ask your address and you suspect them of being one of the "snob patrol" you can say "you mean my official an post address?"

There are people out there and if you said
    "I am moving into the house next door to Bono, down near whiterock beach"
    "oh wheres that"
    "ballyfermot"
    "ok so"

while if you said "killiney" (or dalkey which some claim)
    "would you ever fcuk off, thats not killiney"

I went to clonkeen and was surprised it was listed as blackrock. I was not certain what it should be but tought deansgrange is a more likely address.

Wiki has pages for both, clonkeen is listed as being in deansgrange.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deansgrange
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackrock,_Dublin

The clonkeen page says blackrock, and says old maps said cornelscourt, which I would have thought more suitable than blackrock.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clonkeen_College

• Registered Users Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭tomofson

Dun Laoghaire town most of my life, bar a few short spells in London and the north inner city. Few years in deansgrange but I consider that to be in the Dun Laoghaire area...

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭NoCrackHaving

rubadub wrote: »

clonkeen road
    deansgrange
    blackrock
    co dublin

I like this site, whether you agree with the listings or not if people ask your address and you suspect them of being one of the "snob patrol" you can say "you mean my official an post address?"

There are people out there and if you said
    "I am moving into the house next door to Bono, down near whiterock beach"
    "oh wheres that"
    "ballyfermot"
    "ok so"

while if you said "killiney" (or dalkey which some claim)
    "would you ever fcuk off, thats not killiney"

I went to clonkeen and was surprised it was listed as blackrock. I was not certain what it should be but tought deansgrange is a more likely address.

Wiki has pages for both, clonkeen is listed as being in deansgrange.

The clonkeen page says blackrock, and says old maps said cornelscourt, which I would have thought more suitable than blackrock.

Blackrock's postal area is far bigger than the actual village itself, I mean Clonkeen is close to 3 miles away from what would be considered the centre of Blackrock. Deansgrange isn't actually an An Post postal area itself.

I'll see can I dig out a map from an old boards thread that showed the an post delivery areas, the way the boundaries ran in the area between Carysfort Avenue and Cornelscourt (Blackrock, Foxrock, Dun Laoghaire, Monkstown etc.) was bizarre looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

rubadub wrote: »

clonkeen road
    deansgrange
    blackrock
    co dublin

Wiki has pages for both, clonkeen is listed as being in deansgrange

Blackrock postal district is the area served by the sorting office off Sweetman's Avenue, and the Main Street before that.
    Cornelscourt was never a postal district, and it is in D18. Like Mount Merrion, Booterstown, most of Kilmacud and Monkstown, Deansgrange has been part of Blackrock postal district for more than a century

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

tabbey wrote: »
    Blackrock postal district is the area served by the sorting office off Sweetman's Avenue, and the Main Street before that.
    Cornelscourt was never a postal district, and it is in D18. Like Mount Merrion, Booterstown, most of Kilmacud and Monkstown, Deansgrange has been part of Blackrock postal district for more than a century

One would think they might update things a bit now, though one of the neighbours is a postman so he may not want to lose the Blackrock name :D

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Sacramentum

Apologies if this isn't the right thread was advised I'd have greater chance of a reply here. I'm hoping someone from or familiar with Blackrock can assist. It's an enquiry on behalf of my father. Around 25 to 30 years ago there was a B and B in an estate close to the Newtown Park Avenue area around a five to ten minute walk from Newpark Comprehensive School. Not sure how long thereafter the B and B was operational or whether it's still a going concern. The number on the house was definitely 57 and if anyone could provide further details re an address Dad would be much obliged. Genuine reason for enquiring. An advance thanks for any help given.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Apologies if this isn't the right thread was advised I'd have greater chance of a reply here. I'm hoping someone from or familiar with Blackrock can assist. It's an enquiry on behalf of my father. Around 25 to 30 years ago there was a B and B in an estate close to the Newtown Park Avenue area around a five to ten minute walk from Newpark Comprehensive School. Not sure how long thereafter the B and B was operational or whether it's still a going concern. The number on the house was definitely 57 and if anyone could provide further details re an address Dad would be much obliged. Genuine reason for enquiring. An advance thanks for any help given.

Need more info, estate/street name

21/25

uch wrote: »
    Need more info, estate/street name

Dad says he's unable to recall the name of the estate or street address. He did say if you're at Newpark Comprehensive the estate is in the opposite direction to Blackrock Village somewhere to the left after a five to ten minute walk. The shop that served the area at the time was called News and Views if that helps. Sorry I can't be more specific.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,299 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

From the op description, it sounds more like the Rockville estate ( Rockville Road, Park, crescent or Drive).

Thanks for that but I'm assured the B and B in question was part of a private estate. The pictures for Brookville didn't jog any memories either. Was told old 01 directory may be best bet but not even sure libraries would have one from the era in question. Thanks again for info.

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭starbaby2003

Thanks for that but I'm assured the B and B in question was part of a private estate. The pictures for Brookville didn't jog any memories either. Was told old 01 directory may be best bet but not even sure libraries would have one from the era in question. Thanks again for info.

You should post this to Blackrock Booterstown past & present on Facebook. It sounds like the shop you are referring to now is the Londis in Foxrock Avenue. So maybe it’s around there ?

You should post this to Blackrock Booterstown past & present on Facebook. It sounds like the shop you are referring to now is the Londis in Foxrock Avenue. So maybe it’s around there ?

Thanks for the heads up. I'm one of the few not on Facebook but should be able to get my sister to do so. Surely worth a try. Ta again.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Most counties main library and/or the one with the County Archives will have a full set of phone books. They will usually be buried and take some time to find!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Obikenobi23

Advertisement