Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

PSVita megathread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Did anyone get Grand Kingdom on the Vita?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Ya, I've played P4 Golden already.
    I've bought FFIX and downloaded VVVVVV so that should keep me going.
    Might just leave the PS4 turned off this Christmas!
    You could play Persona3P from the store or Breath of Fire if you don't need remote play. I got IX myself lately the download took forever compared to the rest.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

fixxxer wrote: »

Very enjoyable game, would recommend it

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Played it on the PS4, would easily recommend it, it is probably more suited for the Vita as well.

Persona Europe page on Facebook had this up
    https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1193056297435380&id=166777336729953
    Still not got your copy of Root Letter? Now is the time with 50% off on the EU PSN sale! From today until January 20th on both platforms!
    PS4 - https://store.playstation.com/…
    55%
    PSVita - https://store.playstation.com/…
    50%

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭nedd

Thinking of giving a Final Fantasy game a lash, never played one before. Any recommendations as which i should get for the Vita as an introduction?

Thank

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

nedd wrote: »
    Thinking of giving a Final Fantasy game a lash, never played one before. Any recommendations as which i should get for the Vita as an introduction?

Thank

FF7 OR FF9 would be my recommendation, I'm maybe bias though as they are my favourites from the series , although I did enjoy the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭RedXIV

nedd wrote: »

Thank

FF9 is a great choice as above, It has a nice, easy to understand battle system, the story and characters are excellently defined and it only gets a little crazy near the end :)

Even though I'll always be true to FF7 as my favourite, I honestly think FF9 is a better place to jump in if you're not used to JRPGs.

In saying that, I know a lot of people try Final Fantasy due to the popularity of 7, and if that's the case, don't be afraid to jump into it. It's a great standalone title. There's a thread here from when when my wife tried 7 for the first time if you want to take a look :) Be warned! Spoilers in this thread!

4 is my favourite despite never finishing any FF (secret shame), I played it on rom as kid and my PC was constantly wiped.
    No excuse now, I got to where I was on PSP version and I just left it to play other things (I think it was Persona 3, which I finished and is probably triple the length of FF4). I didn't even know how close I was to finishing.

9 I really liked but like 6,7,8 and 10 I've mostly watched them played by friends with huge gaps.
    10 imo think is my favourite soundtrack.
    9 imo thought had the best characters.
    I've seen 7 played almost completely and while I understand the hype, I don't feel much for it, not like I would for 9.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭nedd

Thanks for the advice, think I will give 9 a try.

Just started resident evil revelations 2 so will start ff once I finish this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I feel you can't go too wrong with 7, 8, 9, or 10 for the modern ones. I'd probably go 10, 9, 8, 7 for my order of preference, but each to their own!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Doodah7

9 is one of the best games I have ever played (in over thirty years of playing games). It is long, clever, moving and a really good story. It is also perfect on the Vita.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

For the ps1 console I would go 7, 9, 8 I love 7 funnily enough I was just thinking about it earlier was first game of its kind I really connected with and I love the back story behind most the chars.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

8 does have the most annoying magic system though

I was gonna post it that was probably why it wasn't really suggested.
    Should have been more Quistis though.
    photo73.jpg?w=480&h=480&fit=clip

It's not that it's annoying, it's just incredibly easy to utilize it to over power your squad completely. I never played the card game and used to convert them all to magic and it made most of the game quite easy.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,793 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

chrislad wrote: »
    It's not that it's annoying, it's just incredibly easy to utilize it to over power your squad completely. I never played the card game and used to convert them all to magic and it made most of the game quite easy.

You either don't understand the battle system and end up using GFs in every battle and then you get stuck in the third disc because you messed up. You end up hating the game because it's so slow to play, battles take ages and **** that witch in the space station on the third disc.

Or else you get it, draw loads of magic to junction to stats, use +1 stat abilities to max out stats at 256 and overpower the crap out of your players breaking the game system and having an absolute ball doing so.

That was pretty much my first and second playthrough of the game.

Calhoun wrote: »
    For the ps1 console I would go 7, 9, 8 I love 7 funnily enough I was just thinking about it earlier was first game of its kind I really connected with and I love the back story behind most the chars.

Same for me.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    You either don't understand the battle system and end up using GFs in every battle and then you get stuck in the third disc because you messed up. You end up hating the game because it's so slow to play, battles take ages and **** that witch in the space station on the third disc.

Or else you get it, draw loads of magic to junction to stats, use +1 stat abilities to max out stats at 256 and overpower the crap out of your players breaking the game system and having an absolute ball doing so.

That was pretty much my first and second playthrough of the game.

Yup, that's exactly it. Whenever I replay it, I go the second route. I think I did something akin to the first scenario the first time I played it nearly two decades ago, and had to restart.

All this talk has me wanting to replay VIII and IX now.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭tkd93

Would anymore recommend getting a vita in 2017? Recently got a cheap psp really enjoyed having a handheld but felt that the graphics were just abit too dated and games too limited.Have plenty of cex vouchers and really interested in alot of the exclusives such as killzone uncharted wipeout etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭RedXIV

tkd93 wrote: »
    Would anymore recommend getting a vita in 2017? Recently got a cheap psp really enjoyed having a handheld but felt that the graphics were just abit too dated and games too limited.Have plenty of cex vouchers and really interested in alot of the exclusives such as killzone uncharted wipeout etc.

It's a great little handheld. Only thing I'd mention is check for memory cards too, it's an unexpected expense for many, A decent size (32GB-64GB) could set you back over 50 quid.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,830 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

I wouldn't anyway. No great selection of games for it, which is a pity.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

There's little in the way of good games. Unless you like Japanese RPGS. It has sixteen million of those.

whiterebel wrote: »
    I wouldn't anyway. No great selection of games for it, which is a pity.
    Not ton of Vita games but I think its good for RIGs and handy to have PS1 classics on the go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

It's a fantastic console it might be 5 years old this year and might be more or less dead but I still love mine like the day I got it.

Games are great what little games there is but if you have had psn plus for the past few years you would have built up quite a lot of great indie games on the system. And they all run fanatic on it and fell like their made for it.

Then the ps1 classics run great on it and that's another few 100 games you can play and then also the psp games to.

If you can pick up one with a mem card and a few games for less then a 100 you have getting a bargin and a 1/2.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,248 ✭✭✭Damien360

Very hard to recommend. Mine has been sitting unused for 6 months. The indie games from ps plus are ok but unless you are doing a lot of travel then you would default back to the PS4 when at home.

I used mine last on a long flights and when I am in a hotel and don't feel like doing work after working all day.

The PS4 link looks great but it is hard to justify not going to the bigger TV to play.

You will not get secondhand games and new ones are hard to come by so it will be purchases through the store for 95% of time.

Have you a ps plus sub for the last few years as an earlier poster said ? And if yes, have you been purchasing the free vita content ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

I would get it, personally love mine, but only if you are into JRPGs and Visual Novels or have been hording PS+ games, otherwise it's very easy and cheap to find games online using the likes of VGP, if you can get it secondhand try and get the original OLED model, the colors look really washed out on the new models LCD screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭tkd93

No I have never bothered with ps+ before didnt realise how good value it is and only have an xbox one now so no real point. I would be buying a fair new games digitally when sales are only like uncharted atm is 8 and gravity rush is 7 but in order to do that id have to get at least a 32gb card which then drives up the cost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

No I have never bothered with ps+ before didnt realise how good value it is and only have an xbox one now so no real point. I would be buying a fair new games digitally when sales are only like uncharted atm is 8 and gravity rush is 7 but in order to do that id have to get at least a 32gb card which then drives up the cost.

I'd pick one up if you could get it cheap. There might not be a whole load of games beyond JRPGs being made for it now but it has a decent enough backlog of games at this stage and there are always decent deals on them in the sales on the PS Store. Plus, it is great to catch up on old PS1 games with it. Indie games like Hotline Miami or Steamworld Dig are an absolute treat to play on it.

I've a 16GB card and that does me for all I need it.

• Advertisement

Toukiden 2 coming on the 21st March for Vita, exciting news!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement