Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Frustrations of a Substitute Teacher...

Options
  • 05-01-2017 10:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hi there,

I've been teaching here in Ireland since September 2015 and I have to say it's bleak. I'm a secondary school teacher of both English and Geography. I completed my NQT year in London but left after that because the cost of living was too much. In saying this, my hope is to get a job here as I want to both live and work here.

I am currently subbing in 3 different schools since the start of this year but it's frustrating to say the least. I'm sure many of you are in the same position but when you go to several interviews for jobs that are already taken it is quite disheartening. What are people's experiences of this? Either good or bad?

I have promised myself that I will not be doing this again next year and will go back to the UK or Dubai. It is with a heavy heart but I have no job security here whatsoever and I don't see things improving. Are there any prospects of getting anything from now until the summer with your own hours or is it a case where it will be summer?

All replies greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

gavo32 wrote: »
    Hi there,

I've been teaching here in Ireland since September 2015 and I have to say it's bleak. I'm a secondary school teacher of both English and Geography. I completed my NQT year in London but left after that because the cost of living was too much. In saying this, my hope is to get a job here as I want to both live and work here.

I am currently subbing in 3 different schools since the start of this year but it's frustrating to say the least. I'm sure many of you are in the same position but when you go to several interviews for jobs that are already taken it is quite disheartening. What are people's experiences of this? Either good or bad?

I have promised myself that I will not be doing this again next year and will go back to the UK or Dubai. It is with a heavy heart but I have no job security here whatsoever and I don't see things improving. Are there any prospects of getting anything from now until the summer with your own hours or is it a case where it will be summer?

All replies greatly appreciated!

Hi Gavo, you're experiencing what every post primary teacher experiences before getting own hours. I did it for about five years before getting my own hours. It was disheartening but it made me a better teacher because different schools have different ways of dealing with behaviour etc. You also experience different types of students with different learning styles etc. and you can show that you're an adaptable teacher ready for a challenge. I have been asked in interviews what you have learnt from working in different schools.

On the bright side, you have been getting regular work since September so you obviously do a good job and made an impression in the school.

Interviews are tough but they are also learning experiences from which you can improve. There will be times that the job is gone but you have to try anyway.

On a negative side, you have the most over subscribed subjects but stick with and something will turn around for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Redser87

Can't comment on the exact situation at second level but I subbed at primary level for my first year out and it is very stressful - constantly watching your phone, not really belonging anywhere, having to learn a new set of names each day.
    It is disheartening but you are certainly not the only teacher who has ever gone through this.
    Subbing is definitely a great learning experience, I have used lots of the ideas that I saw in different classrooms in my own practice.
    I agree that being called back is a very good reflection on you. Hang in there and I hope you will get a call for next week sooner rather than later.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Exiled1

Incredibly frustrating time to be trying to break into teaching. You have had lots of work since beginning even if fragmented. You should try to expand your experience by marking State Exams in 2017 and add to your cv in any way possible.
    If you are good enough you will get there.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,392 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Exiled1 wrote: »
    If you are good enough you will get there.

This is the key to it all from my experience

• Registered Users Posts: 24 gavo32

Thanks for the encouragement guys! Do you have any tips in terms of getting your name out there or when the best chance of getting a job is? I know summer is the peak time but I know of people getting interviews throughout the year and being successful in getting their own hours.

• Advertisement

gavo32 wrote: »
    Thanks for the encouragement guys! Do you have any tips in terms of getting your name out there or when the best chance of getting a job is? I know summer is the peak time but I know of people getting interviews throughout the year and being successful in getting their own hours.

The best way to get your name around is to hand deliver CVs directly to the schools in which you would like to work in - ask to meet the deputy or princpal - I did this and it definitely paid off - as I said I was never without subbing work.

Maternity leaves can happen at anytime during the year hence the interviews.

I would also register for subteacher.ie if you have not already done so.

Educationposts is best place but also keep eye on ETB websites. Being good at your job, good reference, good training and subject combinations will get you noticed in interviews. Practice your interview skills to sell yourself properly and get CV written well

ask to meet the deputy or princpal - I did this and it definitely paid off .

Just to add to this-if you cone across a woman (or man) that you assume is one of the above and they're in the middle if something important such as serious discipline issue, please don't insist on talking about your career. I even had someone try to stop me whilst whole school was exiting for a fire alarm and couldn't understand I couldn't entertain him. He probably thought I was a right bit*h

TheDriver wrote: »
    Just to add to this-if you cone across a woman (or man) that you assume is one of the above and they're in the middle if something important such as serious discipline issue, please don't insist on talking about your career. I even had someone try to stop me whilst whole school was exiting for a fire alarm and couldn't understand I couldn't entertain him. He probably thought I was a right bit*h

Yes I totally agree - it doesn't look good to be pushy - I know where your CV will end up. It is advisable to ask the secretary (Guard dog :)) when is the best time to speak to the principal or DP and if it is not possible at the time you arrive - ask (if possible) to make a short appointment with him/her. Also make sure to be smartly dressed and wear a smile :)

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Redser87

Another tip that may be applicable - I signed up to textasub every week, even when I was booked up for the week. I would take a note of schools in the area that had texted and send an email after school with my CV and a polite note saying that I received the text that morning, not free today but am available again from x date. Email is not a patch on dropping in, but I did get a few days from that kind of direct marketing!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Yes I totally agree - it doesn't look good to be pushy - I know where your CV will end up. It is advisable to ask the secretary (Guard dog :)) when is the best time to speak to the principal or DP and if it is not possible at the time you arrive - ask (if possible) to make a short appointment with him/her. Also make sure to be smartly dressed[ and wear a smile :)

As someone who occasionally does some interviewing for schools I would strongly emphasise this. Also make sure your CV's are well prepared and presented.

Its something I notice every year- just go into penneys and you can cheaply buy a smart outfit for women or men suitable for professional interviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Pinkycharm

I subbed literally around the Mid West for 7 years! I was never out of work and to be honest, where I am now, I've been able to give ideas that have been used in other schools to make ourselves better. Talk about these in interviews, principals especially love new ideas and i truly believe that is what got me in the door. I teach in an area far enough away from home and was up against two locals and the job was for 6 hours starting. By the end of the year I knew I had it for the following year because of the effort I made and principal had upped my hours also to 14 hours.

He told me afterwards that a principal in a school where i had done a maternity leave, my TP and a lot of subbing said he was lucky he was getting me!

Impression is everything when you sub!! :D

It will happen when the time is right- believe me!

Advertisement