Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

California Honeymoon

Options
  • 06-01-2017 2:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

I'm heading to California for the honeymoon in July this year, hitting few spots and ending in Vegas. I'm looking to break up the drive from Yosemite to Santa Monica with an overnight stay somewhere along the way. San Luis Obispo looks good to me but wondering does anyone have any other suggestions.

Thanks,

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Yosemite to Santa Monica?! How long are you spending in Yosemite? Unless you leave there early in the morning, there's no way you'll have a nice drive to Santa Monica, or anywhere on the coast. I don't know what the rest of your trip is like, but after Yosemite, we spent a night in a small (and unremarkable) town called Angel Camp, before driving to San Francisco. Are you doing the coast of California? San Luis Obispo isn't a place I'd mark out to stop at, really. Places along the coast that I really like are Santa Cruz, Monterey and Santa Barbara.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Exiled1

Your post suggests you are doubling back on your journey, need to have much more clarity about your plans.
    Ambitious indeed, to drive from Yosemite to Santa Monica. Don't be fooled by looking at a map of California and judging you will average 60mph on your journey!
    Depending on whether you are staying on East or Western side of Yosemite, you have lots of options.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 ckeo

Doing 2 nights in Yosemite. Going from there to Santa Monica, Palm Springs then Vegas. I know the drive from Y to SM long that's why looking to stop for night on drive.

The plan is San Francisco, Yosemite, Santa Monica, Palm Springs, Las Vegas. Hoping to get somewhere in between Yosemite and Santa Monica.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,313 ✭✭✭Tefral

If you have time I would lend some serious weight into looking at Napa.. what a place the wineries are unreal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Exiled1

Only a few one horse villages along the road between Yosemite and SM until you come close to destination. If you have not booked accommodation in Yosemite, do so very soon as it can be difficult to get accommodation inside the park unless you are camping..... Mammoth Lakes, a few miles south on the eastern side is a good base.

Heard that about Yosemite. Was first thing I booked. Place in El Portal, 5 min drive from Yosemite Valley

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Issac

We drove from Sand Fran to LA a few years back and stopped off in a few places. We really liked Carmel / Monterrey and the trip from there to San Louis Obispo. Big Sur was a class drive, we took a pit stop at McWay falls which is really lovely, a waterfall onto a beach overlooking the pacific. 
    We stayed 2 nights in SLO in a place called Apple Farm and I have to say it was a real highlight of the trip (http://www.applefarm.com/). It was a lovely hotel and as american as apple pie. Really cool place with an amazing breakfast. 
    SLO itself is a really funky little town with a cool hippy / student vibe. They have a food market every Thursday night which takes over the main street area of town, full of people, great vibe. We were able to visit the local vineyards there too - some really nice places only a few mins from the town. Damn I want to go back now!

Thanks for the advice guys. Think I'll do a night in San Luis to break up drive and it's near Hearst Castle too.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Carrie6OD

Carmel and Monterey are gorgeous.
    Nepenthe restaurant on big sur is amazing.
    Santa Barbar is worth stopping too. So nice. Solving for a day trip or wine tour. We took a whole week to drive from SF to SM! Stopped everywhere! Hearst Castle defo worth a visit.

• Advertisement
Advertisement