Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Neighbour Issues

Options
  • 06-01-2017 12:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

I live with parents in a semi detached house, the problem is with the neighbour on the non attached side, our driveways are side by side and slope down toward the house (their house being lower than ours). the problem began years ago, they park 1 car in their driveway but up at the tip of it, so at least once a week we would come home to find their visitors have parked behind their car completely blocking our driveway, so one day my mum decided to park her car on the road behind their visitor blocking the whole road, this is a culdesac we live in a corner house, they called in to have it moved and an argument began after they asked was the car blocking her visitor purposely (of course it was we couldnt get into our driveway)

since then we can do nothing, they call in complaining that when i wash car in MY driveway that the water is running into their back garden and pooling up, (this is because they removed the grass that was there while building an extension and had no proper drainage installed, they came out one day with a yard brush and brushed the water out of their garden but aimed to spray it all over my front porch door and car which both had just been cleaned, a few weeks later (christmas eve) i was washing a family car at the top of the drive with the car owner at the bottom with a brush to stop any water entering their back yard, the neighbour came home furious screaming all sorts at me and even went as far as pushing and threatening me if i ever wash a car in MY driveway again,his wife then came out saying the problem is now that she doesnt want to get out of her car and step on wet ground bringing it into her house, but had no response when i asked what she does when it rains and she has to get out of her car onto wet ground!! they call in complaining about a puppy we got who was barking for the first week or two, but we never complained when they moved their son in with a new born baby , on bin collection day they will park their car hangong over the end of the drive and put our bin from outside their other neighbours house infront of the car, meaning my mum has to move the bin squeeze out of the drive and move the bin back, every other day she parks across the road except bin day.

does anyone have any suggestions as to what i can do in this case. I am trying to start a valet business and doing my best to keep water out although as they dont have proper drainage is it not their problem to sort? we have been neighbours for over 15 years

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Are you planning on starting a valeting business from your driveway? Have you planning permission for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭tommythecat

I am trying to start a valet business and doing my best to keep water out although as they dont have proper drainage is it not their problem to sort? we have been neighbours for over 15 years

You've got to be kidding me!! :D I feel for you but that will just escalate your situation. Where are you going to park the cars? You can barely fit your own one in?!!

4kwp South East facing PV System. 5.3kwh Weco battery. South Dublin City.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭eoinzy2000

Sit down and have a talk. If a visitor parked in an awkward place, it may have been reasonable to knock on the neighbours door and ask for it to be moved. The layout of some of these cul-de sacs is ridiculous and the blame of both the council planning authority and the developer. It requires a bit of compassion and understanding between reasonable adults to maintain the peace. One stressed head blocking the other one in tends to lead to this type of situation and never ends unless you end it. Sounds like its been left too long and unrecoverable. <snip>

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 250 ✭✭Clarebelly

I'm sensing a pattern here......
    Boundry wall
    Hi,

My neighbour has built a wooden fence in their back garden which is 7'9 high, is this allowed or would i be right in saying they would have needed planning permission for anything over 6'? as the fence does not go fully down to the ground the fence is not 7'9 but the over all height of the wall and fence is...can anyone help with this as i cant find much information online

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=64793628

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

Are you planning on operating your valet business from your driveway?
    I don't think this is allowed and it will give the neighbour a valid reason to complain to the council.
    Regardless of them not having proper drainage, it's unfair to have dirty water running into their driveway. I have a similar issue - my driveway is higher than my neighbour and anytime I powerhouse my driveway, I use small sandbags to prevent my dirty water ruining his driveway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

You've got to be kidding me!! :D I feel for you but that will just escalate your situation. Where are you going to park the cars? You can barely fir your own one in?!!

Thats what I was thinking.

OP if you want to get on with your neighbours then stop valeting cars in your driveway until the drainage issue is sorted.

My understanding is that if the neighbours property is lower than yours then the run-off water is their problem, particularly if this issue only arose after they removed the natural drainage on their land.

However, if you were to start a commercial enterprise in your driveway thereby increasing the run-off onto their land then this would be your problem and you'd need Planning Permission etc.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Starting a valet business from the house is certainly the wrong step. Firstly it would count as commercial activity in a residential area which your neighbour would rightly have cause for complaint. Secondly it will be non-stop car washing every day rather than a one off with your own cars.

I had sympathy for you as we've all had to deal with bad neighbours from idiosyncrasies to full on nightmare neighbours, but if you've already started this business, I can see why they're getting annoyed with water pooling in the garden very often. I know you're trying your best to prevent water runoff but this is a temporary solution to a more long term problem.

The car parking situation is one which should be resolved easily enough. You just have to ask them nicely to stop blocking the driveway. If not, you'll be forced to call the council about an illegally parked car blocking your entrance. Try and keep the issues separate, these kinds of disputes have a tendency to sweep every grievance up into them, as evidenced by your initial post which takes in at least 4 different issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭eoinzy2000

Looks like it alright. Be careful, there are many ways that this spite can evolve into into a full blown obsession beemer, or maybe it has already advanced to that stage. Good luck with your planning application for change of use to commercial premises. It will be unsuccessful and definitely cause some hastle.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

If wash water is running from your your property on to theirs it's your issue. Instead of messing around sit down and talk it out. Petty small things and assumptions from both sides will only make everything worse. Also if you can't park a car or handle water run off how do you hope to valet anything, living on a cul-de-sac you will only effect more neighbours

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

I hope you're not trying to start the valet company from your driveway - that's a huge imposition on all neighbours. Washing your own car from time to time is one thing, but regardless of what they have/haven't done to their garden, the fact is that water (and suds etc) will flow down and inconvenience them.

You can't compare a puppy and a baby. You already live with your parents, why shouldn't the neighbour's son live with his. Presumably your puppy is now a bit older and is not left outside barking while people are out?

The two families have obviously started compiling lists of irritations, and are adding to them daily. From an outside perspective you need to cut out the "fluff" and determine what the core problems are.

These seem to be:
    1. Washing cars in your drive is causing them inconvenience. Why? Is it just the water? Is it the frequency of the car washing? Are you bringing in "extra" cars to wash, increasing traffic in a cul-de-sac?
    2: Their visitors block your driveway. This isn't acceptable. Why is this happening? Not enough room on the road? Can you point out a place that would be more appropriate for their visitors to park?
    3: The bins - I can't figure this out - it sounds like you're putting your bins out somewhere other than in front of your house? Many people have to move their bins around the place on bin day to get cars in and out. Your mother can't expect to be able to leave bins outside other people's houses just so she's not inconvenienced. Where does everyone else on the road leave their bins?

If you've been neighbours for 15 years, and these problems are only starting, then look at what's changed recently.

Invite the neighbours in for a cup of tea some evening explaining that you feel things have got on a bad foot, and that you've enjoyed living next to them for a long time, so would like to get back to "normal" and work out compromises. You/your family would have to remain very calm during all of this - no raised voices, no talking over people, and no listing of every single little thing that's ever happened. Keep it to the main points, don't get angry or defensive. Listen to their side of things, put your side across calmly.

I can understand the lady's point about wet ground. Yes, sometimes it rains and you have to track wet into the house. But if the ground is wet far more often than it rains, then it's a PITA. If I set up a sprinkler system right outside your front door so that you got wet every time you went outside, it wouldn't be good enough for me to say "well, sometimes it rains and you'd get wet then anyway".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

If you're running a valet company from your driveway in a cul-de-sac I'm afraid the neighbour issue is you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Have to agree with other posters. If your valeting cars outside your house then it's you that's causing the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

The mature thing to do here would have been to just knock on the door on the first day and say hi there would you mind moving your car thanks ever so much nice day isn't it. Now things have spiralled .
    A barking puppy is not comparable to a newly born human baby.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Wesser wrote: »
    The mature thing to do here would have been to just knock on the door on the first day and say hi there would you mind moving your car thanks ever so much nice day isn't it. Now things have spiralled .
    A barking puppy is not comparable to a newly born human baby.

Barking is a pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭April 73

You're trying to start a valet business from your driveway knowing that the run off will pool outside your neighbour's house? But you're blaming their inadequate drainage? And think it is their problem?
    How many cars are being washed weekly because it sounds like you've already started the business? In which case I'm not surprised things have escalated.
    If it's just an odd time that you're washing your own car could you not wash it on the road & allow the drains deal with run-off?
    This isn't going to get better until you have a conversation together & sort out the underlying problems.

Advertisement